Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jonillson

Addendum

Postby jonillson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Hi,

My LSDAS GPA is 3.25. I have about 70 credit hours of undergraduate and graduate coursework subsequent to my degree that, obviously, is not considered when calculating my LSDAS GPA. My GPA in this later coursework is a 4.0 (30 credit hours) and 3.8 (40 credit hours), respectively.

I'm wondering whether it would be to my benefit to write an addendum highlighting these facts since my academic summary report will not include them.

I have drafted an addendum if anyone would be interested in/willing to provide feedback.

Thanks.

bk1

Re: Addendum

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:27 pm

They won't care.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:30 pm

disagree with the above poster.

as everyone knows law school apps are a very numbers driven game, but they do recommend writing an addendum if you feel something needs to be explained. if you feel your overall GPA was influenced by the extra classes, you should certainly write something about that.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:30 pm

justadude55 wrote:disagree with the above poster.

as everyone knows law school apps are a very numbers driven game, but they do recommend writing an addendum if you feel something needs to be explained. if you feel your overall GPA was influenced by the extra classes, you should certainly write something about that.

No.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 pm

I agree with bk1 mostly, but wouldn't they show up on the transcripts if not the academic summary report?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:36 pm

mr_toad wrote:I agree with bk1 mostly, but wouldn't they show up on the transcripts if not the academic summary report?

do u think ADCOMS read the transcripts in depth unless someone is boarder line?

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:37 pm

mr_toad wrote:I agree with bk1 mostly, but wouldn't they show up on the transcripts if not the academic summary report?

Yes, they will be seen by adcomms. No they will not be calculated in OPs LSAC GPA

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Good point, 'dude. But the grade addendum is - according to my understanding - usually to explain why grades in undergrad were lowered, not to highlight what one has done since. Perhaps a line on the resume?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm

mr_toad wrote:Good point, 'dude. But the grade addendum is - according to my understanding - usually to explain why grades in undergrad were lowered, not to highlight what one has done since. Perhaps a line on the resume?

Resume if OP feels like noting it, but it's not going to change that they will look at OP like a 3.25. The only thing that will save OP here is the LSAT.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm

my understanding is these courses were being done while they were getting the grades that counted????

if i'm wrong, that changes everything. u don't addendum why you're awesome. u can write that in a diversity statement.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Agreed for 99/100 (or more cases). The odd person might sneak one through, but LSAT, as usual, FTW.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Right, 'dude, OP wrote "subsequent", not "concurrent" or anything like that.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:46 pm

mr_toad wrote:Right, 'dude, OP wrote "subsequent", not "concurrent" or anything like that.

yeah, i don't think they care. that's not what an addendum for. it's generally to explain things. unless u can realistically argue that thinking about these classes is why i did poorly, it's a mute point. u also don't wanna say don't count my GPA because look at how i can succeed in grad school. that's kind of boisterous, and everyone gets good grades in grad school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:48 pm

justadude55 wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Right, 'dude, OP wrote "subsequent", not "concurrent" or anything like that.

yeah, i don't think they care. that's not what an addendum for. it's generally to explain things. unless u can realistically argue that thinking about these classes is why i did poorly, it's a mute point. u also don't wanna say don't count my GPA because look at how i can succeed in grad school. that's kind of boisterous, and everyone gets good grades in grad school.

This was painful to read.

jonillson

Postby jonillson » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks for the advice.

An addendum couldn't hurt though, could it? My CV is already rather lengthy (I am faculty at a university) and a statement there is really not appropriate. So if I say anything at all on this issue, it'll have to come in an addendum.

If an addendum could hurt my chances, I'll shelve it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:52 pm

jonillson wrote:Thanks for the advice.

An addendum couldn't hurt though, could it? My CV is already rather lengthy (I am faculty at a university) and a statement there is really not appropriate. So if I say anything at all on this issue, it'll have to come in an addendum.

It's not going to make them look at your 3.25 any differently so why bother taking the chance of coming off as whiny?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:55 pm

jonillson wrote:Thanks for the advice.

it depends on how you word it. addendums can hurt your chances. these are human beings reading it.

when people write something like:

"i was sick the day of the LSAT the first time so you cannot count this score" it's telling someone who probably takes pride in their job how to do their job. human social behavior on average would indicate in this example, the addendum would hurt the student.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”