Peace Corps Before/After I Apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thefatlady

Peace Corps Before/After I Apply?

Postby thefatlady » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:27 pm

I am going to Africa through the Peace Corps this coming Spring. I will be doing business/technology work for 27 months. I have a good LSAT score and am currently working on my GMAT because I want a duel MBA. My question is, should I apply for apply for the schools before I go and defer enrollment for two years (assuming I get accepted), or should I wait until I return and have killer essays about my experience with the Peace Corps? If I apply with the plan to defer enrollment, do I say so in my application? (I would have to if I talk about the Peace Corps)

Things that may (or may not) complicate matters:
- I graduated from college in June 2008 - the Peace Corps application process is longer than anyone could have ever imagined!
- I worked at a homeless shelter for a year doing database architecture
- My GPA is a little bit low.. OK, a lot low (my LSAT puts me into the range for the top schools, my GPA is in the range starting at #10ish)
- Returning from the Peace Corps I may not have many people to write letters of rec for me (although I have some on file with LSAC from teachers in 2008)
Last edited by thefatlady on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lwoods

Re: Peace Corps Before/After I Apply?

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:53 pm

You can get your letters and everything compiled before you leave, but I think your story will be far more interesting once you've spent some time in the Peace Corps. I'm not sure what the advantage would be to applying now only to defer. Perhaps a little added logistical simplicity, but I can't imagine that would be worth it.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:38 pm

Dude, really? You're about to do one of the few things that qualify as a "good" soft (rather than average, etc.). Apply when you get back.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Generally you should apply when you get back because schools generally do not like to grant deferrals.

That being said, you might as well apply to one or two of your reaches now with intent to defer on the off chance that you do get it, but I see no reason to do all of your apps right now.

thefatlady

Postby thefatlady » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just saw that my LSAC account will expire the month I return. *pulls hair out in frustration*

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:35 pm

Get letters of recommendation now.

Do the Peace Corps. Make the most of it.

Return.

Apply. Get in to places you couldn't now w/ that extra experience.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”