Early Decision Quandary Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rmw308

New

Early Decision Quandary

Post by rmw308 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:46 am

First time poster. Long time reader. Quick question in regards to early decision advantage. I want to apply somewhere early, even if it is a reach. Does anyone know to what degree the schools, UCLA, NYU, and UPENN weigh their early decision applicants?

I am 3.7 from NYU Undergrad. I scored a 165 on my first LSAT and took it again in October. I expecting somewhere between a 165 and 169. My thoughts are as follows. If I get a....

165 Early Decision to UCLA
166 Early Decision to PENN
167 Early Decision to PENN
168 + Early Decision to NYU.

Is This realistic? Should I possibly apply to UCLA with a 166 or Penn with a 168? I do want my ED to be a reach, but at the same time want to be somewhat realistic.

Kswizzie

Bronze

Re: Early Decision Quandary

Post by Kswizzie » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 am

167 ED at UCLA
168 Don't ED unless the only schools you would consider going to are Penn, UCLA and NYU in which case ED UCLA to make sure that you get in

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Post by tourdeforcex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:12 pm

whenever i read first time poster. i try to be nicer.

personal opinion: make sure to not burn the ED on something that is a far reach. like you said keep it realistic.

i think your plan works. there are other small factors to consider like are you fresh out of UG, have you worked for 5 years? have you worked for a senator for 5 years? this is relevant b/c some schools prefer students w/ good WE, which might add strength to the ED. do you have a strong preference for any particular school? is money a consideration?

i think overall it works. ask around. ask current law students.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:14 pm

If you score sub-170, retake again.

With a 168/169 I think the only T14 worth ED'ing to (considering you are below their GPA medians) would be Michigian.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”