How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How has LSAC affected your GPA?

More than (-0.2) points
13%
(-0.1) - (-.199) points
6%
(0.00) - (-0.099) points
10%
No Change
26%
(0.00) - (0.099) points
24%
(0.1) - (0.199) points
13%
More than (0.2) points
8%

Total votes: 143

bedefan

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby bedefan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:35 pm

Yes, tell your instructors.

Though to be honest, before I learned how LS admissions work, I would've considered students who explained to me the importance of getting A+'s instead of A's to be enormous toolboxes.

...But who cares what your TA or adjunct prof thinks about you?

(And I would've still helped them do the small amount it takes to move an A to an A+...)

(...The whole time thinking toolboxtoolboxtoolboxtoolboxtoolbox.)

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:08 pm

bedefan wrote:
Yes, tell your instructors.

Though to be honest, before I learned how LS admissions work, I would've considered students who explained to me the importance of getting A+'s instead of A's to be enormous toolboxes.

...But who cares what your TA or adjunct prof thinks about you?

(And I would've still helped them do the small amount it takes to move an A to an A+...)

(...The whole time thinking toolboxtoolboxtoolboxtoolboxtoolbox.)

More like toolshed. Still true though.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:49 pm

bdubs wrote:
Perch wrote:probably a dumb question, but is the LSAC GPA just the one that is on the transcript?

No its the one that shows up on the LSAC reports that go to schools when you apply. It is calculated using a standard formula for grades, rather than whatever one your school might use.

Yeah I was referring to the one that you can see once LSAC has received processed your transcript from your college. It shows up on the website as the "Academic Summary Report?"

Thanks.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Perch wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Perch wrote:probably a dumb question, but is the LSAC GPA just the one that is on the transcript?

No its the one that shows up on the LSAC reports that go to schools when you apply. It is calculated using a standard formula for grades, rather than whatever one your school might use.

Yeah I was referring to the one that you can see once LSAC has received processed your transcript from your college. It shows up on the website as the "Academic Summary Report?"

Thanks.

Yes, it is the one at the bottom of the report under "Undergraduate Summary" the "Cumulative GPA:" number. The degree (summary) GPA is the one from your degree granting institution, but it doesn't get reported for USNWR/ABA purposes.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 pm

3.89 --> 3.94

Yay A-pluses.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I actually withdrew one semester because my wife had a baby. I withdrew by the deadline - had the signed paper to prove it and thought nothing about it. When I transferred to another university and saw 5 F's on my transcript - I kinda flipped my lid. Contacted the first university who said, yes I had withdrawn from classes by the deadline, but it would be up to the individual professors to submit a grade change to W. After tracking down all the professors ( some had moved ) only 1 would change the grade to a W, even though I submitted a signed form from the Registrar that I had, in fact, withdrawn by the deadline. Needless to say, I think I have a .75 gpa for that semester :lol: Thank you Arizona State University

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:21 pm

CSCS Trainer wrote:- .4

I actually withdrew one semester because my wife had a baby. I withdrew by the deadline - had the signed paper to prove it and thought nothing about it. When I transferred to another university and saw 5 F's on my transcript - I kinda flipped my lid. Contacted the first university who said, yes I had withdrawn from classes by the deadline, but it would be up to the individual professors to submit a grade change to W. After tracking down all the professors ( some had moved ) only 1 would change the grade to a W, even though I submitted a signed form from the Registrar that I had, in fact, withdrawn by the deadline. Needless to say, I think I have a .75 gpa for that semester :lol: Thank you Arizona State University

I know law school admissions are all about the numbers, but I hope to God your addendum will be taken seriously. It would be incorrigible to punish you for being a good husband and father.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

What's the point of a non-punitive withdraw deadline if the grade isn't automatically "W"? That is absurd.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:

What's the point of a non-punitive withdraw deadline if the grade isn't automatically "W"? That is absurd.

You're telling me! :cry:

And unfortunately this was 8 years ago before law school even entered my mind. I did go on to graduate school and received a master's, so hopefully my addendum and my softs will help out.

clone22

Postby clone22 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:19 am

+ .08

I guess the system sometimes works.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

Wow, I feel for you on this. I had a 'B' in a class, got behind-with teachers approval was told that I would have a strong 'B', or I could retake without any penalty.... So I retook and got my 'A' and figured that LSAC would just average the B and the A (I was cool with that). Nope, the 'B' turned into a W/F and now LSAC has a F and an A for the class......My only 'F'...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 am

CSCS Trainer wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

And unfortunately this was 8 years ago before law school even entered my mind. I did go on to graduate school and received a master's, so hopefully my addendum and my softs will help out.

I don't know about your school, if this happened at my school I'd bug them from top to bottom until my transcript is fixed. If the professors are not willing go for the department head up to the dean. They are probably not taking it seriously since who would care about classes that were taken again. You need to make them feel your seriousness :)

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
CSCS Trainer wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I don't know about your school, if this happened at my school I'd bug them from top to bottom until my transcript is fixed. If the professors are not willing go for the department head up to the dean. They are probably not taking it seriously since who would care about classes that were taken again. You need to make them feel your seriousness :)

Well it was 8 years ago I received the grades, 7 years ago I tried to get them corrected with no luck. The reasons given by the professors who would not change the grades to W's was that because I transferred to another university, those grades didn't count in my degree gpa and they were also classes that were outside my major, so no I never re-took them.

Again, 7-8 years ago I wasn't thinking about attending law school, I was focusing on graduate school. Those grades didn't affect my graduate school admissions because they were not calculated into my undergrad gpa. I didn't realize they would come back to bite me in the butt until I saw how LSAC calculated my undergrad gpa - and unfortunately now ( 8 years later ) there is nothing I can do about it except write an addendum.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:05 pm

I think if they can get it retroactively changed, you may be able to fix it with LSAC too, if your school was willing. If the reason they gave you was that, I would definitely try again because it matters now. Go to student affairs, make an appoint with the dean, and plead your case. If you were wronged, you should never give up trying to correct it.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:I think if they can get it retroactively changed, you may be able to fix it with LSAC too, if your school was willing. If the reason they gave you was that, I would definitely try again because it matters now. Go to student affairs, make an appoint with the dean, and plead your case. If you were wronged, you should never give up trying to correct it.

I actually have tried those. At the time I was at ASU to withdraw from classes, you had to do it in person at the Registrar's office. Since '04 withdrawals were done online, so they told me do not keep written records more than 2 years. That is why it was up to the professors to submit a grade change - when they refused, that was the end of the line according to the university.

At this point, I really don't think a .4 drop in my gpa is going to matter all that much with everything else I have in my applications. The only top 10 I'm applying to is Northwestern, and I have 17 years full-time work experience, 12 years in management all while completing my undergrad and graduate degree's. I'm hoping that offsets the -.4 in my undergrad gpa from many years ago.

Life is a new lesson every day, things I learned in my college years and even now will help me when my children are attending ( not so distant future ). :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:48 pm

That's crap, I went to my UG last months and they were pulling enrollment forms from the 1950's right in the office (from storage). I think they may digitize everything but it's kind of unbelievable that they would get rid of them.

Really sorry to hear that, you are not supposed to get screwed by your own university.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:That's crap, I went to my UG last months and they were pulling enrollment forms from the 1950's right in the office (from storage). I think they may digitize everything but it's kind of unbelievable that they would get rid of them.

Really sorry to hear that, you are not supposed to get screwed by your own university.

One of the many reasons I transferred out of there and graduated from a more respected university.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”