How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How has LSAC affected your GPA?

More than (-0.2) points
13%
(-0.1) - (-.199) points
6%
(0.00) - (-0.099) points
10%
No Change
26%
(0.00) - (0.099) points
24%
(0.1) - (0.199) points
13%
More than (0.2) points
8%

Total votes: 143

CGI Fridays

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:56 pm

"No" acknowledged.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blurbz wrote:I didn't assume it was because you were doing blow off of a hooker, I just said that you did poorly the first time around. Did you do poorly the first time around? Yes. Am I sympathetic to your reasons? Yes. Do I think that the rule should be extended to cover your circumstances? No. You had an advantage because you saw the same material more than once. Additionally, every school I know of offers medical withdrawals that show up as non-punitive on your transcript. It's a shame you didn't take advantage of that...

If you tried really hard, could you convince the school to make the change to non-punitive Ws retroactively?

It's worth investigating as soon as possible; there is typically a time limit of a year or two after which appeals will not be considered. I could have appealed at my former school to have F's converted to W's (since I left school to enlist in the army), but I did not think to do so until many years later.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
blurbz wrote:I didn't assume it was because you were doing blow off of a hooker, I just said that you did poorly the first time around. Did you do poorly the first time around? Yes. Am I sympathetic to your reasons? Yes. Do I think that the rule should be extended to cover your circumstances? No. You had an advantage because you saw the same material more than once. Additionally, every school I know of offers medical withdrawals that show up as non-punitive on your transcript. It's a shame you didn't take advantage of that...

If you tried really hard, could you convince the school to make the change to non-punitive Ws retroactively?

Its a shame I COULDNT take advantage of that. I tried, but they would not allow me. I thought your GPA was supposed to be a reflection of whether or not and to what degree you have mastered the material. Does it matter that I took the class twice and someone else took it once? I learned the material to a satisfactory degree, and have the knowledge base going forward. If a school us really interested in what I know, then the amount of time it took me to learn it is irrelevant. I will have gained enough knowledge to qualify for a BBA in Finance, and know as much as any other finance major regardless of how many classes they retook.

I have already tried to get them retroactively applied, but to no avail. My school is EXTREMELY strict about that sort of thing, and they offer little to no wiggle room with deadlines for withdrawals. So Im just stuck with the grades I have and have to retake 4 Fs, 1 D, and 1 C. Thankfully I have enough extra credit space to do all of this, and hopefully the schools will wee my ACTUAL GPA and transcript, which will differ greatly from what LSAC sends them. If Im lucky they'll take that into consideration.
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:10 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Its a shame I COULDNT take advantage of that. I tried, but they would not allow me. I thought your GPA was supposed to be a reflection of whether or not and to what degree you have mastered the material. Does it matter that I took the class twice and someone else took it once? I learned the material to a satisfactory degree, and have the knowledge base going forward. If a school us really interested in what I know, then the amount of time it took me to learn it is irrelevant. I will have gained enough knowledge to qualify for a Bachelor's in Finance, and know as much as any other finance major regardless of how many classes they retook.

I have already tried to get them retroactively applied, but to no avail. My school is EXTREMELY strict about that sort of thing, and they offer little to no wiggle room with deadlines for withdrawals. So Im just stuck with the grades I have and have to retake 4 Fs, 1 D, and 1 C. Thankfully I have enough extra credit space to do all of this, and hopefully the schools will wee my ACTUAL GPA and transcript, which will differ greatly from what LSAC sends them. If Im lucky they'll take that into consideration.

I would write an addendum but your numbers are your numbers, LSAC GPA is what matters. Plan accordingly.

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:11 pm

I have like 30 credits of A credit from a much shittier institution than my degree granting one. Needless to say while my degree school doesn't care about those grades, LSAC does, so +.19 :)

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:24 pm

blurbz wrote:
kwais wrote:-.3
It really is annoying. F freshman year at a different school 6 years ago

Why is this annoying? You failed the class....

I didn't say that it was unfair. I didn't say I deserve anything different. I said it was annoying. A fly buzzing around your head is annoying. Assholes on TLS are annoying. so relax

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:24 pm

+.07

Perch

Postby Perch » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:40 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:Would it be worth it to mention that my school didn't offer A+'s on my GPA addendum?

I don't think it's worth it, but given I got a 94.8 in one class for an A- at my school, I have to say the whole conversion thing is frustrating.

Ended up at -0 though so I suppose they have it "right"...A+ thing is nonsense, as is 90 for an A at some state schools like Texas

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:57 pm

+.042, because my 4.0 semester abroad counts, but doesn't count at my UG.

EricM

Postby EricM » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:I for one don't understand the HS thing neither. They use conferment of the degree as cut off, then HS courses shouldn't count as college credits. They don't count any courses after the first bachelors, yet they count my graduate courses before my 1st bachelors even though I designated them to be graduate credits (not on my UG transcript). So the courses before HS graduation shouldn't count by the same logic.

Can you explain how LSAC handles high school AP courses? Do they count them, and if so, what is the conversion, because all of my AP classes were just test scores from 1 to 5, with no grades?

saltoftheearth wrote:if you are still in UG: ALWAYS explain to your TA that you are planning to apply to law school, and that LSAC differentiates and gives weight to A+s (assuming you're within an A+ range)

Haha, +1. I always try to do this for labs that usually give 100% for the lab reports and such. I wouldn't do it for a class, though. I got 100% in a class once (because of extra credit), and I thought about asking the teacher for an A+, but I didn't want to sound like a douche.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:14 pm

EricM wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I for one don't understand the HS thing neither. They use conferment of the degree as cut off, then HS courses shouldn't count as college credits. They don't count any courses after the first bachelors, yet they count my graduate courses before my 1st bachelors even though I designated them to be graduate credits (not on my UG transcript). So the courses before HS graduation shouldn't count by the same logic.

Can you explain how LSAC handles high school AP courses? Do they count them, and if so, what is the conversion, because all of my AP classes were just test scores from 1 to 5, with no grades?

They're not counted. College classes taken as a high school student are counted.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:00 am

they rounded down my 4.4 to a 4.33. really bummed

lulu12

Postby lulu12 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 am

+0.11 (thanks to study abroad and classes before college).

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:23 pm

3.42 to 3.15

retakes :roll:

I stayed in school and retook 13 hours of C's to help mitigate the problem... I took a class Fall 2008, got a W(with permission from prof), decided I could finish my final paper and get at most a 'B' in the class, so I retook the following year and got an 'A'... Thanks for counting both LSAC. :roll: I was told by school officials it wouldn't count against me.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:27 pm

txadv11 wrote:3.42 to 3.15

retakes :roll:

I stayed in school and retook 13 hours of C's to help mitigate the problem... I took a class Fall 2008, got a W(with permission from prof), decided I could finish my final paper and get at most a 'B' in the class, so I retook the following year and got an 'A'... Thanks for counting both LSAC. :roll: I was told by school officials it wouldn't count against me.

It doesn't at your school.

Although, if schools will take only your highest LSAT, why not the highest grades?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote: I thought your GPA was supposed to be a reflection of whether or not and to what degree you have mastered the material.

GPA might serve this purpose at your undergraduate institution, but that's not what law schools are trying to use grades to figure out.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:45 pm

I'm going to get nailed as well.

I'm a transfer student, first semester of freshman year I screwed up and got 2 Cs, my GPA was 3.0

I've since gone to a different school and gotten a more respectable 3.5.

I also took a bunch of AP classes in HS so those credits will increase the weight of my graded courses in determining GPA- basically, it makes those classes that actually count that much more important.

I did the calculations this summer and figure my LSAC GPA right now is something like a 3.27.

Needless to say, I have to do well this year to bump it to a 3.4 to have a chance at some decent schools. Hopefully I broke 167+ on the LSAT a few weeks ago.

It sucks- in the end I have to own it because it was my mistake. But it definitely stings to be penalized for mistakes you made right out of the gate when you're not sure how to do things in college.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:10 pm

probably a dumb question, but is the LSAC GPA just the one that is on the transcript?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:17 pm

My LSAC-calculated GPA is around .1 higher.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Perch wrote:probably a dumb question, but is the LSAC GPA just the one that is on the transcript?

No its the one that shows up on the LSAC reports that go to schools when you apply. It is calculated using a standard formula for grades, rather than whatever one your school might use.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I am benefitting: from a 3.467 UG gpa to a 3.78 LSAC gpa.

I transfered from a community college to a UC, and the UC did not count all of my A's from the community--thankfully the LSAC does!

What is the general consensus about how law schools look at community college work? I know the LSAC gpa is what is most important, but I am also figuring that law schools are going to frown on my community college work.

Any thoughts on this?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:52 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I am benefitting: from a 3.467 UG gpa to a 3.78 LSAC gpa.

I transfered from a community college to a UC, and the UC did not count all of my A's from the community--thankfully the LSAC does!

What is the general consensus about how law schools look at community college work? I know the LSAC gpa is what is most important, but I am also figuring that law schools are going to frown on my community college work.

Any thoughts on this?

You pretty much have it right, the cum GPA is what matters most. However, you will have a downward trend in your GPA quarter over quarter (I assume), and schools tend not to like that. Compared to a candidate with similar numbers that all came from the same school, you will probably be at a disadvantage.

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 pm

-.13, caused by 2 repeated classes and about 5 classes taken during high school for college credit. I never thought a Medical Terminology class would affect my LSDAS. It really doesn't make sense to penalize people for CC classes taken during your Sophomore year of high school.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Yea, I figured as much. My transcripts basically look like this:

community college: 4.00
UC: 3.**
master's degree from CSU: 4.00

I know the lower performance at the UC will not reflect well, but maybe the stellar performance in the grad program will offset the negative vibe associated with the UG GPA drop? I don't really think so . . .

bdubs wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I am benefitting: from a 3.467 UG gpa to a 3.78 LSAC gpa.

Any thoughts on this?

You pretty much have it right, the cum GPA is what matters most. However, you will have a downward trend in your GPA quarter over quarter (I assume), and schools tend not to like that. Compared to a candidate with similar numbers that all came from the same school, you will probably be at a disadvantage.

bedefan

Postby bedefan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:32 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:if you are still in UG: ALWAYS explain to your TA that you are planning to apply to law school, and that LSAC differentiates and gives weight to A+s (assuming you're within an A+ range)

I've been pleasantly surprised in 4 different instances.

also, take dual enroll in CC classes

Thank you LSAC.

Yes, tell your instructors.

As a current adjunct prof. I have to say since starting the LS admissions process I've been way more communicative with my students than I otherwise would've been. Obviously won't give students a better grade than they deserve, but I'm really going after students who are blowing the class off, giving them more opportunities to do extra work to raise their grades etc... Silently thinking the whole time, "What if you want to apply to law school in 8 years? Do you really want one English class you took on a whim to tank your chances of getting into your dream school?"

I think I'm particularly sensitive to this because I had NO IDEA I was even remotely interested in law until I was 3-4 years out of UG. I never considered the possibility, thought I was going into a career where grades didn't matter, and thus never paid attention to my grades in UG. Luckily I emerged unscathed but a friend in a similar situation did not, and found her two top choices utterly out of reach when she applied two years ago.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”