How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How has LSAC affected your GPA?

More than (-0.2) points
18
13%
(-0.1) - (-.199) points
8
6%
(0.00) - (-0.099) points
15
10%
No Change
37
26%
(0.00) - (0.099) points
35
24%
(0.1) - (0.199) points
18
13%
More than (0.2) points
12
8%
 
Total votes: 143

EricM
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:59 pm

How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby EricM » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Did LSAC work for your benefit?

Just curious.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:30 pm

-0.73 :(

User avatar
beidoun
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby beidoun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 pm

-.2

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:07 pm

-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:11 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.

I'm sorry you're bummed, but I approve of this unless all UGs start practicing grade forgiveness tomorrow.

User avatar
SullaFelix
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby SullaFelix » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:15 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.


Well, technically, you tanked your law school chances by doing so poorly in those classes.

Just saying.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby blurbz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:15 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.



LSAC is tanking your law school chances? Are you sure it isn't you who tanked by doing so poorly in classes the first time around?

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:16 pm

fatduck wrote:-0.73 :(

:shock:

wtf?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:17 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.

I'm sorry you're bummed, but I approve of this unless all UGs start practicing grade forgiveness tomorrow.


I will approve this if all non-repeated grades get .5 higher point value than repeated grades of the same grade.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby blurbz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:18 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
fatduck wrote:-0.73 :(

:shock:

wtf?



Probably someone blaming LSAC because they failed 4 or 5 classes in their first year and then retook them, expecting LSAC to just pretend they hadn't done terribly for the first year or two.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:19 pm

-.3
It really is annoying. F freshman year at a different school 6 years ago

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby bdubs » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 pm

My -0.14 is due to classes taken during HS that didn't even help me graduate from college. I think LSAC should treat AP the same, just to be fair, but that won't happen.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby blurbz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 pm

kwais wrote:-.3
It really is annoying. F freshman year at a different school 6 years ago



Why is this annoying? You failed the class....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

I for one don't understand the HS thing neither. They use conferment of the degree as cut off, then HS courses shouldn't count as college credits. They don't count any courses after the first bachelors, yet they count my graduate courses before my 1st bachelors even though I designated them to be graduate credits (not on my UG transcript). So the courses before HS graduation shouldn't count by the same logic.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:26 pm

kwais wrote:-.3
It really is annoying. F freshman year at a different school 6 years ago

:shock: how could one class move your GPA this much?!

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:27 pm

blurbz wrote:
CGI Fridays wrote:
fatduck wrote:-0.73 :(

:shock:

wtf?



Probably someone blaming LSAC because they failed 4 or 5 classes in their first year and then retook them, expecting LSAC to just pretend they hadn't done terribly for the first year or two.


Wow, harsh...I never said I expected LSAC to pretend anything, nor have I ever suggested that my LSAC GPA is unfair in any way. Check my posting history. The frowny-face was meant to signify my disappointment with myself.

And it was more like 8 classes, 8 years ago.

User avatar
saltoftheearth
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby saltoftheearth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:27 pm

if you are still in UG: ALWAYS explain to your TA that you are planning to apply to law school, and that LSAC differentiates and gives weight to A+s (assuming you're within an A+ range)

I've been pleasantly surprised in 4 different instances.

also, take dual enroll in CC classes

Thank you LSAC.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:29 pm

blurbz wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.



LSAC is tanking your law school chances? Are you sure it isn't you who tanked by doing so poorly in classes the first time around?

Technically, it couldnt be helped. I had surgery mid-semester, but right after the drop deadline and just had to take the L in my classes. Too bad for me, and too bad LSAC doesnt let me just use my better grades.

Personally, since LSAC is in the habit of recalculating your GPA anyway, I think they do so with your highest grade. That does nothing to give an unfair advantage to anybody, and IMHO gives a more accurate depiction of your real academic performance.

But it is kind of funny/sad that people automatically assume that a poor grade is because someone simply f'ed up the first time around.
Last edited by cowgirl_bebop on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm

saltoftheearth wrote:if you are still in UG: ALWAYS explain to your TA that you are planning to apply to law school, and that LSAC differentiates and gives weight to A+s (assuming you're within an A+ range)

I've been pleasantly surprised in 4 different instances.

also, take dual enroll in CC classes

Thank you LSAC.


Yea the A+ thing is somewhat frustrating. Unfortunately my UG had a max grade of A, no exceptions.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:32 pm

fatduck wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:if you are still in UG: ALWAYS explain to your TA that you are planning to apply to law school, and that LSAC differentiates and gives weight to A+s (assuming you're within an A+ range)

I've been pleasantly surprised in 4 different instances.

also, take dual enroll in CC classes

Thank you LSAC.


Yea the A+ thing is somewhat frustrating. Unfortunately my UG had a max grade of A, no exceptions.


Make sure you explains to the TA's and profs. that you would avoid A- like the plague. I hate that we had A- but no A+, fortunately I didn't have to deal with that. I would have welcomed the 50% A+ that I wasn't allowed to earn though.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fatduck wrote:
saltoftheearth wrote:if you are still in UG: ALWAYS explain to your TA that you are planning to apply to law school, and that LSAC differentiates and gives weight to A+s (assuming you're within an A+ range)

I've been pleasantly surprised in 4 different instances.

also, take dual enroll in CC classes

Thank you LSAC.


Yea the A+ thing is somewhat frustrating. Unfortunately my UG had a max grade of A, no exceptions.


Make sure you explains to the TA's and profs. that you would avoid A- like the plague. I hate that we had A- but no A+, fortunately I didn't have to deal with that. I would have welcomed the 50% A+ that I wasn't allowed to earn though.


Yea, A- with no A+ is really bad. My school has no +'s or -'s, period, which is better. My GPA would definitely be higher if we had a full +/- system, though.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby blurbz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:40 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
blurbz wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:-.2, soon to be more.

My school does grade forgiveness, so I can replace my poor grades with better one. LSAC offers no such thing and is TANKING my law school chances. My updated fall transcript will help, but the discrepancy will be even larger. FML and F LSAC too.



LSAC is tanking your law school chances? Are you sure it isn't you who tanked by doing so poorly in classes the first time around?

Technically, it couldnt be helped. I had surgery mid-semester, but right after the drop deadline and just had to take the L in my classes. Too bad for me, and too bad LSAC doesnt let me just use my better grades.

Personally, since LSAC is in the habit of recalculating your GPA anyway, I think they do so with your highest grade. That does nothing to give an unfair advantage to anybody, and IMHO gives a more accurate depiction of your real academic performance.

But it is kind of funny/sad that people automatically assume that a poor grade is because someone simply f'ed up the first time around.


I didn't assume it was because you were doing blow off of a hooker, I just said that you did poorly the first time around. Did you do poorly the first time around? Yes. Am I sympathetic to your reasons? Yes. Do I think that the rule should be extended to cover your circumstances? No. You had an advantage because you saw the same material more than once. Additionally, every school I know of offers medical withdrawals that show up as non-punitive on your transcript. It's a shame you didn't take advantage of that...

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:48 pm

blurbz wrote:I didn't assume it was because you were doing blow off of a hooker, I just said that you did poorly the first time around. Did you do poorly the first time around? Yes. Am I sympathetic to your reasons? Yes. Do I think that the rule should be extended to cover your circumstances? No. You had an advantage because you saw the same material more than once. Additionally, every school I know of offers medical withdrawals that show up as non-punitive on your transcript. It's a shame you didn't take advantage of that...


If you tried really hard, could you convince the school to make the change to non-punitive Ws retroactively?

User avatar
CGI Fridays
Posts: 897
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby CGI Fridays » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:54 pm

Would it be worth it to mention that my school didn't offer A+'s on my GPA addendum?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: How Has LSAC Affected Your GPA?

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:55 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:Would it be worth it to mention that my school didn't offer A+'s on my GPA addendum?

LOL




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests