Michigan resume: "hobbies or special areas of interest"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iwanta170

Michigan resume: "hobbies or special areas of interest"

Postby iwanta170 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:09 pm

For the Michigan resume, we are supposed to include "hobbies or special areas of interest or academic pursuits." It also says "please be sure to tell us your current and planned activities prior to enrolling in law school."

How important is it to include hobbies? I don't really have room for that section.

Also, does this mean I can include things that I haven't finished yet? For instance, I am working on my thesis that I plan to finish in the spring semester. Also, I should graduate Phi Beta Kappa next semester based on my GPA. Can any of this be included on a Michigan resume (and/or any general law school application resume)?

Fresh

Re: Michigan resume: "hobbies or special areas of interest"

Postby Fresh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:12 pm

iwanta170 wrote:For the Michigan resume, we are supposed to include "hobbies or special areas of interest or academic pursuits." It also says "please be sure to tell us your current and planned activities prior to enrolling in law school."

How important is it to include hobbies? I don't really have room for that section.

Also, does this mean I can include things that I haven't finished yet? For instance, I am working on my thesis that I plan to finish in the spring semester. Also, I should graduate Phi Beta Kappa based on my GPA. Can any of this be included on a Michigan resume (and/or any general law school application resume)?

You should talk about your thesis on your resume, but I would make it clear that it's a work in progress.

I wouldn't include the Phi Beta Kappa thing, since it's not factual knowledge about you and it would look weird to say: "Probably graduating Phi Beta Kappa"

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Fresh wrote:You should talk about your thesis on your resume, but I would make it clear that it's a work in progress.

I wouldn't include the Phi Beta Kappa thing, since it's not factual knowledge about you and it would look weird to say: "Probably graduating Phi Beta Kappa"

Can I include the thing about my thesis on every law school resume or just Michigan? Also how should I word it since it's a work in progress?

Lastly, how important is it to be specific about dates? I'm trying to make my resume look uniform..it would look a lot more attractive to put 2009 for a club than list specific months within 2009

purple

Postby purple » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:18 pm

i'm working on my michigan resume too and i'm not sure how to incorporate "current and planned" activities in there. any suggestions on where to write looking for a job and applying to law schools (at the top, bottom, in the experience section...)?

thanks!!

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:30 pm

purple wrote:i'm working on my michigan resume too and i'm not sure how to incorporate "current and planned" activities in there. any suggestions on where to write looking for a job and applying to law schools (at the top, bottom, in the experience section...)?

thanks!!

To be honest, I think you should call the office of admissions and ask them: "Hey, I noticed you guys ask about current and planned activities to be included on the resume, but how and where should these occur?" But what I'm going to do is treat my "Michigan resume" like I treat all other resumes and just submit a normal resume to them

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:32 pm

For your thesis, definitely put it on all of your resumes. Say something like "Thesis defense scheduled April 2011" or whatever the date is.

Steppinchoi

Postby Steppinchoi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:46 pm

I too am trying to figure out how to include my current job hunt on the resume...

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:58 pm

Steppinchoi wrote:I too am trying to figure out how to include my current job hunt on the resume...

"It has recently come to my attention that holders of anthropology degrees are not in high demand ITE. This is why I would like to go to lawl skool. TIA."

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”