GPA on resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Capitalist

GPA on resume question

Postby Capitalist » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:37 pm

I know this question is quite repetitive, but I've searched the forums and could not find a real definitive answer. What GPA should go on your resume, LSAC or UG?

r6_philly

Re: GPA on resume question

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:45 pm

I am sure someone is going to come on here and disagree but whichever is higher as long as you clearly indicate which one it is. Could be Degree GPA. 3.xx or Major GPA. 4.xx or whatever looks good. As long as you are not falsifying.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 pm

thanks for the reply, philly.

glewz

Postby glewz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:53 pm

actually, you really shouldn't put down a degree gpa unless you also have the cumulative gpa there as well. it's considered a bit shady, and since they honestly have all the stats right in their hands, having just your degree gpa (and hiding the cumulative gpa) would serve little purpose.

you should just put your degree gpa(s) and the cumulative ONLY IF the degree gpa is higher than the cumulative.

This is because it shows them the tiny bit of information that their current records likely does not include: that you are able to focus better and achieve higher results when you have a greater interest in the material.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:56 pm

glewz wrote:actually, you really shouldn't put down a degree gpa unless you also have the cumulative gpa there as well. it's considered a bit shady, and since they honestly have all the stats right in their hands, having just your degree gpa (and hiding the cumulative gpa) would serve little purpose.

you should just put your degree gpa(s) and the cumulative ONLY IF the degree gpa is higher than the cumulative.

This is because it shows them the tiny bit of information that their current records likely does not include: that you are able to focus better and achieve higher results when you have a greater interest in the material.

degree GPA ≠ major GPA

kehoema2

Postby kehoema2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Honestly, why would you put your GPA on your resume? I had it on there at first, but realized adcomms will have my entire file when looking at my resume. I'm sure GPA and LSAT are immediately accessible to them so I figured it was just a waste of space on the resume. Still, I am definitely interested to see what others think.

Edit: Ah, I see the above which is a reason to put it on, but I still lean towards wasted space.
Last edited by kehoema2 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:04 pm

I always used the GPA on my transcript for my resume. If LSAC, or whoever, wants to manipulate my GPA, that's fine, but I'm going to represent the official numbers from the transcript.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Could I just title it "Undergraduate GPA"?

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Does a GPA need to go on the resume at all? As mentioned, they have it in front of them.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Capitalist wrote:Could I just title it "Undergraduate GPA"?

dude. just put your LSAC GPA. it is what they are going to judge you by anyway. maybe you could spin it better using some other format, and that would make sense with employers, but it's no advantage for apps.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Capitalist wrote:Could I just title it "Undergraduate GPA"?

No that is ambiguous.

Look, you list:

University XXX
Major 1: Computer Science
Degree GPA 3.8

Major 2: Political Science
Degree GPA 4.0

You could also put Cumulative GPA for the school on there but you don't need to.

actually, you really shouldn't put down a degree gpa unless you also have the cumulative gpa there as well. it's considered a bit shady, and since they honestly have all the stats right in their hands, having just your degree gpa (and hiding the cumulative gpa) would serve little purpose.

You mean you consider it shady? Major GPA is no reflected anywhere on your report. Degree GPA from LSAC means the GPA of your degree granting institution, not the GPA of your degree. So Degree GPA from LSAC is actually your cumulative GPA of your college.

I don't understand why you would feel putting success/achievements/highlights on an instrument designed to show strength and highlights? Unless you put down what you don't do well as well as what you do well, I wouldn't call everyone who only display strength (and hide weakness) on the resume shady, or we would all be guilty of being shady.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm

arism87 wrote:Does a GPA need to go on the resume at all? As mentioned, they have it in front of them.

That is not the point of marketing. You are supposed to guide the audience to see what you want them to see, and see it many times and well.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:Does a GPA need to go on the resume at all? As mentioned, they have it in front of them.

That is not the point of marketing. You are supposed to guide the audience to see what you want them to see, and see it many times and well.

I suppose, I guess I just don't think my GPA is particularly excellent, more like standard where I'm applying. I also have this image of adcomms either finding your numbers worthy of review or not, and THEN looking at everything else, haha

clone22

Postby clone22 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:07 pm

From what I've been told, just post whatever GPA is the highest (cumulative or Major). As long as you're not lying about the actual #, there's nothing shady about it. A case can be made both ways as to whether general education classes (like creative writing or world cultures or something) is really relevant to your education (especially if you major in an unrelated field like Bio or Econ or something).

You're trying to make the strongest case possible for yourself. If you don't, no one else will.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”