Personal Statement - Falsely Accused of Crime

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
careerchange2010

Personal Statement - Falsely Accused of Crime

Postby careerchange2010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:13 am

d
Last edited by careerchange2010 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Re: Personal Statement - Falsely Accused of Crime

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:16 am

I read your other thread, and this is a really tough one. On one hand it's a dramatic, eye-catching story that played an important role in your life and your decision to go to law school. On the other, it all started with you cheating on your wife. Consider how that might play out for your potential reader. I think it could be a powerful PS, though, and using it for long-shot schools is probably your best bet.

careerchange2010

Postby careerchange2010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:30 am

d
Last edited by careerchange2010 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:40 am

You don't necessarily have to go into those sorts of details, in my opinion. I think that a personal statement about going from a normal life to almost being a felon in the blink of an eye could be quite persuasive without all the gory details of the case. It's plausible, to me, that such an ordeal could make you wonder about such an imprecise system handing out life-altering sentences, and spark an interest in becoming a lawyer yourself and perhaps defending people like you in the future.

I guess what I'm saying is to structure your statement in such a way that you can avoid mentioning adultery without being deceptive.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:59 am

OP: I know this sounds really compelling from your point of view, but try to do something that very, very few people are able to do. Try to imagine that you don't know anything about yourself or your situation. You're an adcom, you read a PS like the one you're about to submit, you finish, and you put it down. You look up at the ceiling. Do you want to admit the writer to your school?

If you honestly go through this exercise, you'll have an answer to your question (i.e., "Should I write on this topic?").

mala2

Postby mala2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 am

yeah I don't know, you could write it and then see how it reads. btw it's debatable as to whether or not offloading your guilt by confessing to your wife is doing the right thing or just making you feel better idk. Haven't heard the whole story, or read your PS clearly, but if I was the person reading it and if comes off like your OP, I'd think what a self righteous jerk.

careerchange2010

Postby careerchange2010 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 am

d
Last edited by careerchange2010 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:38 am

You'll have to see how it looks when you write it out, but I'd move very quickly through the whole infidelity situation. Stick mostly with:

For me, this situation has completely changed my view on the world. In all honesty, I never really thought much about people being falsely accused of a crime. Before this, I very naively assumed that if you didn't commit a crime, you wouldn't be accused of a crime.

and it could be pretty slick.

You'll really have to see how it reads though, it's a pretty risque stuff.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:48 am

Edit. It's all been said. More nicely.
Last edited by MrKappus on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:49 am

I have often wondered who were the 30% rejected from Cooley Law School, now I know.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:00 pm

I wouldn't do this because there is no way you will write it unbiased, because you are justifiably enraged. I would be too. You do not want to come off as the guy who wants to defend rapists for living, or worse, be that guy in Crim Law who says most woman lie about rape. It's a touchy subject.

I wouldn't mention suing the school, it might scare other schools.

Definitely don't mention that you cheated on your wife.

The rape charge as it is, is going to be a negative on your app. I'd write a generic PS and play it safe.

I'd also wait to go to law school until this all gets sorted out. I couldn't imagine having two suits going while I was studying 1L. Too much stress.

Postby 2014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:10 pm

Yeah leave the cheating business out of it. If you mention that you run the risk of having someone who is really into the sanctity of marriage or a feminist read it and decide that you comitted the ultimate showing of disrespect to someone who you had promised yourself to and believing that a false accusation is actually fair game.

Focus on what it was like to be falsely accused of a crime and how you grew, not that much context will be needed.

I think it could be a good topic though, it will definitely be memorable if written right.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”