Criminal Record opinions - do I have to hunt down date?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Saltqjibo

Criminal Record opinions - do I have to hunt down date?

Postby Saltqjibo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey all,

So I was found in my high school building after hours when I was 15. Me and friends had been planning on playing flashlight tag and cops and robbers (I included that just for the wonderful irony).

Anyway, I was charged with breaking and entering with intent, and possession of burglary tools (winter gloves, flashlight). There was no damage to property etc. It ended up going through diversionary measures and now there is supposedly no record of it. I know this isn't a huge deal, but I also want to submit apps soon and don't want to track down the paperwork (copies of which I no longer have). Anyone think its okay to just state the month and year and the charges as I remember them in my addendum, rather than having to track it down?(the police at the local station indicated this could be a lengthy process). I have no other charges/ run ins since.

kalvano

Re: Criminal Record opinions - do I have to hunt down date?

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:20 pm

I wouldn't bother. Month and year should be fine.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:54 am

I was cited for trespass a long long time ago, and I remembered that the charges was dropped because the incident was a misunderstanding. Well I had to track down a copy of it for other reasons, and when I received the paperwork, I was surprised that I was found not guilty instead of having the charges dismissed. Also it was 2 charges and they were felonies (I remembered them being misdemeanors). Anyway, my point is that I remembered wrong, and it probably wouldn't have been good if I wrote the wrong info in an addendum for schools that asked about "charged/cited". So you may want to track it down just to be sure you are right about what's on there.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Found out it will take 30 days from today for me to receive the information. Should I wait, or include an addenda that says something to the effect of: in march of xxxx I was found on school property after hours. charged with xxxx and xxxx (what I remember it to be) and the matter was put through diversionary measures.

and then put a note at the bottom that says:
"language of charges may be imprecise - copies of documents will be recieved by december 9th, if neccesary please contact at that time for further clarification.

Do You guys think that works, I am 90% sure of what the charges are
breaking and entering with intent
posession of burgalry tools

but I really don't want to screw anything up that could harm my chances. At the same time I want to get my apps in ASAP

etown989

Postby etown989 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Are you sure these charges aren't just on your juvenile record if you were 15?

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:07 pm

They are sealed and expunged because they were on my juvenile record, but unfortunately law schools don't care about that.

bjc314

Postby bjc314 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I conducted a state and fbi background check, mainly in order to get the exact dates and dispositions of my juvenile records and nothing showed up. I also contacted the court, who said they couldn't find any records. I went ahead and disclosed everything and added that I had done everything I reasonably could to locate the records to no avail. As long as you show a good faith effort to disclose everything to the best of your knowledge, I think you'll be fine.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:25 pm

I actually called Chicago today to ask about this (as they are my top choice). The person in admissions said it wasn't a big deal as it was a juvenile record and just to explain to the best of my ability and perhaps add a note that said the documents were being processed.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”