Those of you who asked to defer the acceptance a year... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dcgbm

New

Those of you who asked to defer the acceptance a year...

Post by dcgbm » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Have any of you been denied? Anybody get accepted ED or EA and still successfully get the deferral?

dcgbm

New

Re: Those of you who asked to defer the acceptance a year...

Post by dcgbm » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:32 am

hmm nobody?

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:39 am

dcgbm wrote:Have any of you been denied? Anybody get accepted ED or EA and still successfully get the deferral?

I deferred last year(as in starting fall 2010) for a year (to now start fall 2011), and the dean was more than accepting.
Dean was definitely welcoming and he told me if anything I could get more money(already pretty close to full ride).

Not a T30 school however, and I was already in with $$$ so perhaps that provides context to the situation.

As for ED, I do not believe you can ED and ask for deferral, I know you can't off of the WL. I would assume it counterproductive to apply before doing something so important that you would defer the begining of law school for it to happen.

whirledpeas86

Silver

Post by whirledpeas86 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:07 am

Never done it myself, but my former housemate/really good friend tried to defer from UCLA Law last year (got married and was trying to have baby with her partner, plus her mom went bankrupt and she had to support her teenage brother and sister while her mom tried to get back on her feet) and was denied. So, even with really compelling reasons for deferral, it sounds like it's hard to come by at a T20 school.

OrdinarilySkilled

Bronze

Post by OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:23 am

Deferred at a top 30, wasn't a problem. I didn't give much of a reason besides wanting a year off. I think it's school specific, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silly101

Bronze

Post by silly101 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 am

hm so deferral from a t6 is too much to ask for?
or is it really dependent on the reason

dcgbm

New

Post by dcgbm » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:52 am

interesting, thanks for the stories. i thought the law schools welcomed those who want to defer; didn't know people have gotten DENIED (with legit reasons, at that). any other stories out there?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 am

I'm in the Peace Corps, and I know several people who deferred for two years from top 20ish schools. Biased sample, I know, but still.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am

Deferred last year @ NU for child-rearing. I was told by the admissions folks that there are basically 2 factors involved in their decisions:
1. Timeliness of requests, the later the request the less likely it is to be approved.
2. The reason. In general I was told that they grant deferments in cases where a unique opportunity is involved, or there is a factor that will greatly impact 1L performance (that's why mine was granted).

At least at NU, you still have to pay seat deposits...I'm on $1500 so far and will have to pay another deposit or two before next fall. It all goes towards tuition, but is non-refundable if you change your mind.

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 am

silly101 wrote:hm so deferral from a t6 is too much to ask for?
or is it really dependent on the reason
I got in to a t6 and deferred quite easily (RD). I had a good reason lined up, but they didn't seem to care what the reason was. They were just like "oh you want to defer? ok sign this deferral agreement, and we'll see you next year!". Apparently it's relatively easy to defer up to two years at this school, but you may at that point need at least somewhat of a legitimate reason. I'm pretty sure some/most schools will let you defer even w/ an ED acceptance, but again, a legit reason may be more important in this case.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”