Help me decide on a major .

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Help me decide on a major .

Postby Ivan91 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:43 pm

So, I have a question.
I am absolutely set on applying to law schools after college. However, I cannot decide between two majors - Business administration and political science.
I believe business will be much more useful. I will more easily find a job if I fail to get into a good law school, I will then be able to maybe apply to Business schools. In fact, even if I get into the legal sphere, business knowledge can be quite useful.
However, political science is a more traditional major. It requires a lot of reading and writing, just like law schools do. I have heard stories that law schools don`t particularly like applicants with business majors. They are considered somehow..too easy.
I would rather do business, seems like much more interesting and useful. I even think I shouldnt have any problems getting a stellar GPA in business since I find the classes I am currently taking (macroeconomics and marketing) very intriguing.
What do you think ?

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Ivan91 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:06 pm

Yeah, right ? I just cannot see what can I do with a Poli science major if law doesnt work out .. and even if it does, the major cannot really help me .

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:24 pm

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby buckilaw » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I'd go with the business major because you will have more options should you not decide to go to law school. Also, consider doing a philosophy minor, the subject matter is interesting and if you can start thinking in a more reasoned way it could make studying for the LSAT easier.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Ivan91 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Eco sounds even better than business admin, but it involves too much math and I am not a math type of a person. I mean, if I work hard enough, I should be able to get about 3.50-3.60 , but it`s not enough for a top law school.
BTW, why do you think philosophy majors score higher on the LSAT ? Isn`t philosophy similar to pos science ?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby fatduck » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:36 pm

Ivan91 wrote:Eco sounds even better than business admin, but it involves too much math and I am not a math type of a person. I mean, if I work hard enough, I should be able to get about 3.50-3.60 , but it`s not enough for a top law school.
BTW, why do you think philosophy majors score higher on the LSAT ? Isn`t philosophy similar to pos science ?


A philosophy curriculum probably includes a significant amount of coursework in formal and informal logic.

User avatar
Hawkeye Pierce
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:38 pm

.
Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Ivan91 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you for your advice !

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:10 am

you'll probably ruin your life if you go through college with your mind set on going to law school.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Ivan91 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:15 am

capitalacq wrote:you'll probably ruin your life if you go through college with your mind set on going to law school.


I cannot disagree more. You are telling me that most of the people who attend T14 law schools didnt know they were going to apply to LSs when they were freshmen ? That they didnt try to build to perfect resume ?

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 am

Ivan91 wrote:
capitalacq wrote:you'll probably ruin your life if you go through college with your mind set on going to law school.


I cannot disagree more. You are telling me that most of the people who attend T14 law schools didnt know they were going to apply to LSs when they were freshmen ? That they didnt try to build to perfect resume ?


you don't need anything close to a 'perfect resume' (whatever the hell that means) for lawl school. all you need is LSAT.GPA, URM. done.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:58 am

Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 am

Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


any degree that people don't not how to utilize is useless. most people jst udon't know how to utilize their biz degree. and I feel that when jobs are not thrown at them most people do not know how to utilize their lawl degree.

Ivan91
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Ivan91 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:28 am

Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


Hmm, how can you prove your point ? What jobs can I find after doing poli science ? Because with a business admin degree I can work virtually everywhere in the financial sphere, depending on my school rank , GPA, experience and stuff.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:05 am

Ivan91 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


Hmm, how can you prove your point ? What jobs can I find after doing poli science ? Because with a business admin degree I can work virtually everywhere in the financial sphere, depending on my school rank , GPA, experience and stuff.


Ditto with poly sci. Most employers don't care what your UG major is - if you want to do finance, just take enough finance/accounting courses as needed to show competence. Most business classes that aren't finance/accounting are silly and don't really help you develop the critical thinking/reading skills that'll be useful later on. But if you think talking about org development and your [deleted] brigs type will do anything for you, by all means, major in business.

Btw - poly sci major here that minored in econ (to show math/stats competence). I ended up working in business consulting straight out. Most of my coworkers didn't have "business degrees" because many of the top schools don't have business admin programs. To me, its like being pre-law.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby ahduth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:21 am

I dunno... since you're sole objective is to get into law school, the major itself doesn't matter, you just need the highest GPA possible in that major. The other consideration is from which department you'll be able to obtain the most positive recommendations. This entirely depends on your school, the class sizes, the opportunities for independent study with a professor, being able to write a thesis... these types of things.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:35 am

Blindmelon wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


Hmm, how can you prove your point ? What jobs can I find after doing poli science ? Because with a business admin degree I can work virtually everywhere in the financial sphere, depending on my school rank , GPA, experience and stuff.


Ditto with poly sci. Most employers don't care what your UG major is - if you want to do finance, just take enough finance/accounting courses as needed to show competence. Most business classes that aren't finance/accounting are silly and don't really help you develop the critical thinking/reading skills that'll be useful later on. But if you think talking about org development and your [deleted] brigs type will do anything for you, by all means, major in business.

Btw - poly sci major here that minored in econ (to show math/stats competence). I ended up working in business consulting straight out. Most of my coworkers didn't have "business degrees" because many of the top schools don't have business admin programs. To me, its like being pre-law.


This is pretty stupid. Although, many of the top schools don't have business. If you go to a school like Penn, Northwestern, Michigan, Wustl, etc it is definitely more valuable to have a business degree than poli sci. Also, most of the people I know at bain or Mckinsey have business or econ degrees. Of course, a good amount don't, but the majority do.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby ahduth » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:41 am

Ivan91 wrote:I am absolutely set on applying to law schools after college.


It's really not terribly relevant how saleable a business degree is at strategy firms, since he's "absolutely set" on heading to law school. I'm leaning towards poli sci because he'll probably be able to get better recommendations out of those professors. Do business majors even write theses?

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:44 am

ahduth wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:I am absolutely set on applying to law schools after college.


It's really not terribly relevant how saleable a business degree is at strategy firms, since he's "absolutely set" on heading to law school. I'm leaning towards poli sci because he'll probably be able to get better recommendations out of those professors. Do business majors even write theses?


Normally, No. Also, normally, poli sci majors don't write a thesis either. And the difference here is that he is a freshman, the average freshman changes his/her major 3 times. People change what they want to do all the time. At my school, less then half the people who start at pre-med end up going to med school. And my school has one of the best pre-med and medical schools in the country. I'm not saying that this person will definitely not go to law school, but really, this person likely isn't informed enough to for sure know what he/she really will want to do.

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Ivan91 wrote:
capitalacq wrote:you'll probably ruin your life if you go through college with your mind set on going to law school.


I cannot disagree more. You are telling me that most of the people who attend T14 law schools didnt know they were going to apply to LSs when they were freshmen ?

Yes
That they didnt try to build to perfect resume ?

you try to build a good resume anyway. you can start thinking about law school junior year, but it's dumb to pigeonhole yourself and miss out on other career opportunities/experiences

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:58 pm

Ivan91 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


Hmm, how can you prove your point ? What jobs can I find after doing poli science ? Because with a business admin degree I can work virtually everywhere in the financial sphere, depending on my school rank , GPA, experience and stuff.


I work in the "financial sphere". I've never met someone working at my company who has a business administration degree.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Bumi wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


Hmm, how can you prove your point ? What jobs can I find after doing poli science ? Because with a business admin degree I can work virtually everywhere in the financial sphere, depending on my school rank , GPA, experience and stuff.


I work in the "financial sphere". I've never met someone working at my company who has a business administration degree.


A lot of people at my school go into Ibanking, consulting, industry financial jobs, etc. All of them will say that their degree is in Finance, Economic Strategy, etc. But all of them technically got a BSBA with a concentration in finance.

User avatar
bostlaw
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby bostlaw » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:03 pm

interest and grades.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Help me decide on a major .

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:58 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:Business admin is the most useless major ever. Worse than poly sci.


Hmm, how can you prove your point ? What jobs can I find after doing poli science ? Because with a business admin degree I can work virtually everywhere in the financial sphere, depending on my school rank , GPA, experience and stuff.


I work in the "financial sphere". I've never met someone working at my company who has a business administration degree.


A lot of people at my school go into Ibanking, consulting, industry financial jobs, etc. All of them will say that their degree is in Finance, Economic Strategy, etc. But all of them technically got a BSBA with a concentration in finance.

I don't know anyone with those either. Most of my coworkers have engineering degrees, economics degrees, or finance degrees - real economics and finance degrees though, not pretend business ones.

Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, of course - I'm only one guy at one company.

Also, I'm not saying you can't get a job in the "financial sphere" with a degree in business. I'm saying you can't assume you'll get a job virtually anywhere with that degree.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests