Resume Tips? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Resume Tips?

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Anyone got any tips for resume writing? Aside from the standard. I've heard including a section along the lines of "personal interests" can be good. Should it follow the standard format for seeking employment or is there a suggested alternative? I'm not all that expericned in resume-writing so any assistance is appreciated!

edubs003

Bronze

Re: Resume Tips?

Post by edubs003 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I put a personal interests section. I'm a regular bowler and golfer so I just put those. I don't see how putting stuff like that can hurt. Other than that, its pretty much the same.

kehoema2

Bronze

Post by kehoema2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I hate to contradict the previous poster, but I don't see how it can really add anything good to your resume. Why waste space with something unless its important. For instance, if you won some impressive golf tournament, then I say you put it on. If you have something interesting (published in a magazine), then put it. In my opinion though, anything that doesn't amount to something like this shouldn't go in. However, I would love to hear other people's opinion on this.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:39 pm

kehoema2 wrote:I hate to contradict the previous poster, but I don't see how it can really add anything good to your resume. Why waste space with something unless its important. For instance, if you won some impressive golf tournament, then I say you put it on. If you have something interesting (published in a magazine), then put it. In my opinion though, anything that doesn't amount to something like this shouldn't go in. However, I would love to hear other people's opinion on this.
I put the golf and bowling stuff in there because it fits on my resume and someone in the adcom might also be a golfer or bowler. I've also heard that if your resume is all academic, then add something that isn't. I'm a 4 handicap golfer, and while I haven't won any tournaments, I'm better than about 90% of the people out there.

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:44 pm

I only included this in my Michigan resume because they explicitly ask for hobbies or areas of interest. I think it would be OK to include though under extracurricular activities as long as you keep it short

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Do not include personal interest. No one cares that you play golf. Talk about it in your personal statement if you want.

These are soft skills. Its like putting good listener or multi tasker.

As far as resumes go people just want to see you can make money.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:47 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Do not include personal interest. No one cares that you play golf. Talk about it in your personal statement if you want.

These are soft skills. Its like putting good listener or multi tasker.

As far as resumes go people just want to see you can make money.
Some would argue being able to play golf well will help you make substantially more money later in life.

JoeShmoe11

Bronze

Post by JoeShmoe11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:51 pm

edubs003 wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:I hate to contradict the previous poster, but I don't see how it can really add anything good to your resume. Why waste space with something unless its important. For instance, if you won some impressive golf tournament, then I say you put it on. If you have something interesting (published in a magazine), then put it. In my opinion though, anything that doesn't amount to something like this shouldn't go in. However, I would love to hear other people's opinion on this.
I put the golf and bowling stuff in there because it fits on my resume and someone in the adcom might also be a golfer or bowler. I've also heard that if your resume is all academic, then add something that isn't. I'm a 4 handicap golfer, and while I haven't won any tournaments, I'm better than about 90% of the people out there.
This was the same logic that one of my professors used - it can't hurt to include interests and if someone reading it sees something similar between themself and you it might give you an edge. Not to mention I would think it shows you are more than your accomplishments, that you are a real person on top of being someone who can churn out a good LSAT score and GPA.

edubs003

Bronze

Post by edubs003 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:47 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:
edubs003 wrote:
This was the same logic that one of my professors used - it can't hurt to include interests and if someone reading it sees something similar between themself and you it might give you an edge. Not to mention I would think it shows you are more than your accomplishments, that you are a real person on top of being someone who can churn out a good LSAT score and GPA.
Exactly! And being a 4 handicap golfer, like myself, shows dedication. Most people know that golf is harder than it looks. Academics achievements should be on there, but they don't show who you are. If you've played the piano since the age of 5, put that in. If you've played intramural softball for 5 years, put that in. You never know what could help.

treeborn

New

Post by treeborn » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:33 pm

I don't see why it could hurt. I included 3 artistic interests that I've pursued for at least 3 years [one I've pursued for 15 years).

If you're running short on space and need to put in that last job, then I'd say don't do it. But in my case, I had my education, work experience and awards on my resume and still had space.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”