Student Body Stats Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
X_Soda

New

Student Body Stats

Post by X_Soda » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Yo. I'm drafting some Why X statements. I'm applying mainly to schools where I will be a "regional minority," where my school, my state, and my region will be underrepresented in the student body. I want to use such information in my statements. Does anyone know where I can find information breaking down previous years' student bodies by region, university, state, etc.? Some law schools have this on their websites, many do not.

Platinum

Re: Student Body Stats

Post by 2014 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 pm

You seem to already know that you will be a "regional minority"...
Where did you get that information from?

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:17 pm

I don't really understand the significance of what you're looking for. Don't all of those things generally apply to someone who goes to an out of state school? Do you come from a very rural place and if so wouldn't it make more sense to write a DS and not Why X? (although maybe the difference between the two is not that significant)

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm

X_Soda wrote:Yo. I'm drafting some Why X statements. I'm applying mainly to schools where I will be a "regional minority," where my school, my state, and my region will be underrepresented in the student body. I want to use such information in my statements. Does anyone know where I can find information breaking down previous years' student bodies by region, university, state, etc.? Some law schools have this on their websites, many do not.
I would think that those facts would work against you unless you have a strong reason for leaving your home state/region. Most schools want students who have a close connection to the region/market for yield reasons.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:25 pm

bdubs wrote:
X_Soda wrote:Yo. I'm drafting some Why X statements. I'm applying mainly to schools where I will be a "regional minority," where my school, my state, and my region will be underrepresented in the student body. I want to use such information in my statements. Does anyone know where I can find information breaking down previous years' student bodies by region, university, state, etc.? Some law schools have this on their websites, many do not.
I would think that those facts would work against you unless you have a strong reason for leaving your home state/region. Most schools want students who have a close connection to the region/market for yield reasons.
This is false, if you are talking about most top schools. But has more credibility if you are looking at lower ranked state schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
This is false, if you are talking about most top schools. But has more credibility if you are looking at lower ranked state schools.
I assumed based on the phrasing of OP's question that s/he was considering regional schools. I don't think the T14 has a problem getting geographic diversity and if some region is not represented or underrepresented I would doubt that they care much. Geographic representation is a much bigger deal for undergrad than LS.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:52 pm

bdubs wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
I assumed based on the phrasing of OP's question that s/he was considering regional schools. I don't think the T14 has a problem getting geographic diversity and if some region is not represented or underrepresented I would doubt that they care much. Geographic representation is a much bigger deal for undergrad than LS.
^^^ I'm fairly certain that wyoming or north dakota will be relatively under represented no matter where you go to school.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:44 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
bdubs wrote:I would doubt that they care much. Geographic representation is a much bigger deal for undergrad than LS.
^^^ I'm fairly certain that wyoming or north dakota will be relatively under represented no matter where you go to school.
If OP thinks that just having every state represented is some goal of the LS then I think he is mistaken. As he notes schools don't even publish that on their website 1/2 the time, demonstrating precisely how much it is valued.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:08 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
bdubs wrote:I assumed based on the phrasing of OP's question that s/he was considering regional schools. I don't think the T14 has a problem getting geographic diversity and if some region is not represented or underrepresented I would doubt that they care much. Geographic representation is a much bigger deal for undergrad than LS.
Agreed.
For example Vandy....which is not t14 but close and is the one with the viewbook I had on my desk...I'm sure they would love someone from North Dakota who wanted to go back and practice there. Pretty glaring hole on their map.

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”