meeting medians/25ths &75ths

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

meeting medians/25ths &75ths

Postby lolol10 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:43 pm

whats the deal with admission regarding meeting their score reqs? there was some thread going on awhile ago that said if you meet any of the medians you will be waitlisted?? i am in probably the 70ish percentile for GPA for the school(ND) i really would like to attend however i am just below the 25th on lsat. to say the least i suck at taking standardized tests. i know softs dont matter all that much but i attended ND ug and was a very active student with various, somewhat prestigious, leadership positions. what do you think my chances are?

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: meeting medians/25ths &75ths

Postby tourdeforcex » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:42 pm

the deal is law firms care about rankings.

i interpret "meeting their score reqs" as maintaining LSAT and GPA standards. every year law schools provide median, 25 percentile, and 75 percentile LSAT and GPA. these are compiled and published in rankings of law schools. law firms see these rankings and make decisions based on them. because a higher ranking may attract more or more prestigious law firms, law schools care too.

i'm not sure about meeting medians but as i understand this admissions game: if one is near the 25% for one of LSAT or GPA, it is better to have to have the other factor near the 75% (or higher) to gain admission.

did you put your best effort in preparing for the LSAT? for many top schools, the LSAT counts between 50-60% of the admissions decision. to put that in perspective, that LSAT number counts more than 4 years of university (which supposedly is represented by GPA).

your chances are not great with a low LSAT. can you prepare again and take it again? i can attest that the LSAT is a very learnable test. regular softs (excluding Nobel Peace Prize winners, an uncle who has a building named after him at the school) can make a difference but not as much as a 5 or 10 point difference in LSAT.

hope this helps.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 3 guests