UC Davis

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

UC Davis

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:31 pm

What are employment prospects coming from UC Davis, and are they nice with scholarships?

I asked them for a fee waiver, and was straight up denied where as schools ranked much higher gave me fee waivers. Their #'s wise the closest backup in CA if USC doesn't work out.

ViP

Re: UC Davis

Postby ViP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 pm

justadude55 wrote:What are employment prospects coming from UC Davis, and are they nice with scholarships?

I asked them for a fee waiver, and was straight up denied where as schools ranked much higher gave me fee waivers. Their #'s wise the closest backup in CA if USC doesn't work out.

UC Davis is not known for being particularly generous with scholarships or fee waivers.

I assume your GPA is relatively low if you're not really banking on UCLA if USC doesn't work out. UC Davis is a very good school, but if you're concerned with scholarships and you're interested in California schools, why not consider UCI? Each member of next year's class will receive at least a 1/3 scholarship over three years, and the students' entering numbers are virtually identical to those at USC.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Southern or Northern. If northern Davis or Hastings is a better choice. Unless you can get into UCLA.

I have heard that USC does not place well in Norcal.

I dont know how UCI would do either, but it should be provisionally approved by the end of the year so you could take the Bar.

Cali is weird b/c norcal and socal have their own regional schools.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:02 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Southern or Northern. If northern Davis or Hastings is a better choice. Unless you can get into UCLA.

I dont know how UCI would do either, but it should be provisionally approved by the end of the year so you could take the Bar.

i'd prefer southern...

what is UCI? never heard of them. Irvine? I don't know cali too well, but wanna move there for a myriad reasons.

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

justadude55 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:Southern or Northern. If northern Davis or Hastings is a better choice. Unless you can get into UCLA.

i'd prefer southern...

what is UCI? never heard of them. Irvine? I don't know cali too well, but wanna move there for a myriad reasons.

You should look into Loyola, Pepperdine(if you love jesus that is part of the app question), and USD too. USD from what I have heard places very well in San Diego, but with the recession I dont anymore.

ViP

Postby ViP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:21 pm

justadude55 wrote:

i'd prefer southern...

Yeah, UC Irvine. It's a new program and they're only in their second year of operation. The dean of the school is Erwin Chemerinsky, the most cited full-time law professor in the country and one of the nation's most renowned constitutional experts, and the students and faculty are of top quality. A school must go through the accreditation process being being fully accredited with the ABA and featuring in the rankings, so they're currently in that process (they'll be provisionally accredited next year and all students will be eligible to take the bar).

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:38 pm

love jesus, really? i'm not christian, but i have a lot of respect for the christian way of life, and respect jesus.

it's in its 2nd year, but what's their ranking?

ViP

Postby ViP » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 pm

justadude55 wrote:love jesus, really? i'm not christian, but i have a lot of respect for the christian way of life, and respect jesus.

That person's Jesus comment was a reference to Pepperdine, not UCI (just to clarify).

As I said, UCI can't be ranked yet because it's too young. A school needs to be fully accredited to feature in the US News rankings. That won't be for another 2-3 years or so, but students will still be able to take the bar.

As far as LSAT/GPA is considered, UCI is top-20. As far as faculty, top-10. But, of course, the US News rankings take more into consideration than just those factors, and it's unknown where UCI will rank upon its debut.

I just figured you should look into it because 1) you're interested in California, 2) the application is FREE, and 3) every student in the next class will have at least 1/3 tuition scholarship over 3 years.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:25 pm

ViP wrote:
justadude55 wrote:love jesus, really? i'm not christian, but i have a lot of respect for the christian way of life, and respect jesus.

That person's Jesus comment was a reference to Pepperdine, not UCI (just to clarify).

As I said, UCI can't be ranked yet because it's too young. A school needs to be fully accredited to feature in the US News rankings. That won't be for another 2-3 years or so, but students will still be able to take the bar.

As far as LSAT/GPA is considered, UCI is top-20. As far as faculty, top-10. But, of course, the US News rankings take more into consideration than just those factors, and it's unknown where UCI will rank upon its debut.

I just figured you should look into it because 1) you're interested in California, 2) the application is FREE, and 3) every student in the next class will have at least 1/3 tuition scholarship over 3 years.

still, there's a big difference between could and is. it's very risky to go to a law school that isn't even ranked yet and isn't ABA accredited if you choose to practice elsewhere. they COULD be ranked in the top-20 when someone graduates, but one could also be better off going to Michigan State, and that is a scary thought even for 1/3 scholarship.

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:35 pm

They don't give fee waivers to anyone, but they will honor the LSAC fee waivers. They do give out a few merit scholarships (I got one) and a lot of need based grants (didn't get one.)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Speaking of UC Davis - someone above mentioned that they don't place well in Socal. Is this true? After reading through last year's thread, people seemed to generally agree that Davis is a good bet if one wanted to practice in CA. I know I'll be practicing in Socal, but Davis looks really interesting to me because of their PI programs/clinics...

Oh, and OP, Davis rescinded their merit-based fee waivers last cycle so don't feel bad! Noone got them :(

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:21 am

justadude55 wrote:
ViP wrote:

still, there's a big difference between could and is. it's very risky to go to a law school that isn't even ranked yet and isn't ABA accredited if you choose to practice elsewhere. they COULD be ranked in the top-20 when someone graduates, but one could also be better off going to Michigan State, and that is a scary thought even for 1/3 scholarship.

I completely agree that you might justifiably be hesitant to attend UCI this soon if you don't want to work in socal. But the application is free... can't hurt, right?

Also, the ABA team visited UCI last week and said UCI exceeded the ABA's already very high expectations, and the ABA officers said 1) they wanted to teach there, and 2) they wanted to be students there, if they could do it all over again. No one really thinks UCI won't be accredited.

Sorry for derailing the thread. This should be about Davis. Feel free to send me a message if you have questions about UCI.

ComatoseClown

Postby ComatoseClown » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:57 am

What does UCI Law have that will make itself stand out in the future? I mean, from what I know UCI's undergraduate college is pretty average compared to USC, UCLA and Berkeley's.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”