Do Asians, even though they're not URMs, get a boost? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ComatoseClown

Bronze

Do Asians, even though they're not URMs, get a boost?

Post by ComatoseClown » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:32 am

Paraphrased opinion from an "exploring law careers website": In the coming generation, the American legal profession would benefit from a higher number of diverse and minority lawyers.

With this, do law schools give an admissions boost to Asians, even though they're not considered URM? Secondly, I notice there aren't as many Indian Asians in law schools as there are Oriental Asians (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc). Do law schools, in designing their next entering class, go to an extent to differentiate among an ethnicity class (e.g. Oriental versus non-Oriental Asians, or the various Latino origins like Mexico, Peru, etc.), in order to increased "ethnic diversity"?
Last edited by ComatoseClown on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Re: Do Asians, even though they're not URMs, get a boost?

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 am

I'm going to say absolutely not. Let's see if anyone corroborates my statement.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 am

No. No boost.

Also, there is a forum devoted specifically to questions about URM's. I know it's misleadingly titled "Under Represented Law Student Forum", but try and see through the lies and deceptions to get to the truth.

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:41 am

kalvano wrote:No. No boost.

Also, there is a forum devoted specifically to questions about URM's. I know it's misleadingly titled "Under Represented Law Student Forum", but try and see through the lies and deceptions to get to the truth.
Are you suggesting that it should have been titled "Hispanics, Native Americans, and African American Law Student Forum"?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:05 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”