Resume: lots of work experience and splitting up school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Remnantofisrael

Resume: lots of work experience and splitting up school

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Long story short I worked at an advertising agency in its infancy, doing all sorts of jobs, from about 14 on. Dropped out of Highschool (bored now), got my GED, went to a good out of state school (thank you ACTs), In 3 1/2 years went through all but 6 credit hours, went to work figuring I could finish my degree at any time.

Worked for 6 years at this agency, started entry and made many horizontal and vertical moves within, going from an assistant analyst in one department to eventually a Director in a completely different department, with about 30 employees under my management, with mid managers and the like. I answered directly to a Chief Officer.

I just finished college (last couple questions) and officially "graduate" Fall 10' (December).

So two questions-

1) How would you recommend expressing all these moves and changes within the company that VASTLY changed my responsibilities? (also worth noting that the company was purchased during my tenure and changed names).
2) Would you split up the undergrad work, or simply note 2001-2004, 2008 (one class), 2010 (last class)?

Any other clever things I might be able to do with my resume with this particular situation?

Thanks all!

r6_philly

Re: Resume: lots of work experience and splitting up school

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:06 pm

I only listed where I got my degree, the degree, major, year and the final rank/gpa. I left out the other schools I attended (they are on the ASR) due to a lack of space.

Work - list it all. If your responsibility stayed the same for that company that changed list them as 1 job.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm

my responsibilities changed dramatically. From a data analyst position to a media buying/negotiating/planning to a sales/negotiating to a senior (mentoring others) role to a management of an entire web marketing division to director of an entire section of the companies business. I was wondering if there was a clever way to note the track itself. Its really not a make or break thing, but it seems almost arrogant to list out each position individually within the same company, but also wouldn't be accurate or properly reflective to not do some listing out.

If it were for a job, I would probably split it into three.

1) Pre college and summer work (creative and data analyst oriented)
2) Media department (first 18 months)
3) Interactive Marketing Department (which I would note as Senior Partnership Development (which cuts out two steps) and then Interactive director (which I would roll both of my director positions into one description.

Then I can also have CEO of MyBeanstalk, LLC.

Although that brings up another question as to how I should fairly state my involvement within a start-up that I was a principle in within a LAW SCHOOL application. But for now that isn't the main concern.

So what does everyone think? One concern is I have basically no collegiate groups/organizations or charity/awards to list.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:13 am

Well you can put "promoted 20xx" in the date range, that shows your internal vertical movement.

I chose not to highlight my involvement in startups. I listed the positions but I did not point out they were startups. For me the startups were failures (well because they all were at the end) where I want to highlight my success (not that the failure of the business really reflect my effort). I am also involved in a startup right now but the product is not out yet.

If you can show that you worked a lot, then that will probably offset that you had no EC's. One bit of advice, if you can't tie your success/employment track to law, don't focus on it a whole lot since it will bring more questions than answers - why are you applying to law school then? It would be peculiar even to me, why would you want to pay $$$ to go to law school if you are mid-management or up, you should be going for a MBA which is a better fit. So don't be too quick to highlight your success.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:22 pm

The poster above probably knows a lot more about law school admissions than I do, so trust him before me - but his advise above seems a little off to me. Yes, I think you should tie your work experience to why you want to go to law school, if you can. But if you can't, I don't think that means you should downplay your success! It sounds like you have a lot of interesting experience and did a good job inside the company (or at least got promoted a lot, for whatever reason). And it doesn't sound like you have a lot of other experience to display... I would take my time with describing your experience with this firm on your resume. Make it clear that you were promoted a lot.

For me, I worked at a couple of places where I changed position while I was there. I actually put one separate line for each position. As in:

Position Held, Company Name..... date-date
Later Position Held, Same Company Name.... date-date

Since my duties didn't change all that much from one position to the next, except in ways that would be obvious from the title change, I just listed all of my bullets about job duties underneath my listing of both positions. But I think you could reasonably separate them, as in:

Position Held, Company Name.... date-date
Duty 1
Duty 2
Duty 3

Later Position Held, Company Name.... date-date
Duty 1
Duty 2

Etc. If you run into a space problem or if it just starts to look really overwhelming, cut out a position or something (in order for the dates to still add up, this might involve combining two positions in some way).

You do have some unique challenges in expressing your experience - I would google resume templates that might address these questions. Good luck!

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:26 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Position Held, Company Name.... date-date
Duty 1
Duty 2
Duty 3

Later Position Held, Company Name.... date-date
Duty 1
Duty 2

I think you're supposed to list "later position held" first, THEN go down to the earlier position.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:20 am

Too true.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”