Schools 20-30 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55

Silver

Schools 20-30

Post by justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Can someone, who knows their stuff, rank these schools in terms of employment opportunities:

20.) GWU (probably applying to)
21.) ILLINOIS (applying--free app)
22.) BU
22.) Emory
22.) Minnesota (not interested in living here [weather])
22.) Notre Dame (approached w fee waiver--applied)
26.) Iowa (approached w fee waiver--gonna apply)
27.) Indiana (approached w fee waiver--applied)
28.) Boston College
29.) William and Mary (fee waiver--applied)
30.) University of California--Davis (definitely thinking about here... denied fee waiver)
30.) Fordham (applied)

I'm fine leaving where I live, as long as I'm going somewhere with decent weather. Not coming from a wealthy family, my first and foremost concern is good employment.

Veyron

Gold

Re: Schools 20-30

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:40 pm

All are regional and will place primarily in their area. Not coming from a wealthy family, don't go to any of these unless you get a substantial scholarship.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Forget about rankings. The rankings obsession that goes on in here is irritating as hell...

As Veyron said, all of those schools are regional and place mainly in their immediate cities. With that being said, the best schools on your list in terms of being able to find employment in their home regions are BC, BU and GWU.

Good luck!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 pm

The difference in employment prospects between these is negligible enough to not be a factor.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 pm

gdane5 wrote:Forget about rankings. The rankings obsession that goes on in here is irritating as hell...

As Veyron said, all of those schools are regional and place mainly in their immediate cities. With that being said, the best schools on your list in terms of being able to find employment in their home regions are BC, BU and GWU.

Good luck!
Probably also Fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Veyron wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Forget about rankings. The rankings obsession that goes on in here is irritating as hell...

Good luck!
Probably also Fordham.
I omitted Fordham since the NYC market is very weak right now and its not a friendly environment for Fordham graduates. BC and BU completely dominate their markets and GWU is also very respected in DC. Plus, DC has a bunch of crap a recent GWU law grad can do.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Good luck!
Probably also Fordham.
I omitted Fordham since the NYC market is very weak right now and its not a friendly environment for Fordham graduates. BC and BU completely dominate their markets and GWU is also very respected in DC. Plus, DC has a bunch of crap a recent GWU law grad can do.
DC is a much more competitive market than NYC. Unless a bunch of crap to you means "fries with that".

That being said, employment prospects out of all these schools are dim in this economy.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:05 pm

i was worried about BC and BU, because I know Harvard is in the area--don't they get all the jobs? Boston is a pretty small city.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:09 pm

justadude55 wrote:i was worried about BC and BU, because I know Harvard is in the area--don't they get all the jobs? Boston is a pretty small city.
This is why I worry about UConn. Damn Yalies taking all the jobs around those parts!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:10 pm

id be much more worried about UCONN than about BU/BC lol.

not that you can't be really successful out of UCONN, but it is definitely more of an uphill climb.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:11 pm

justadude55 wrote:id be much more worried about UCONN than about BU/BC lol.

not that you can't be really successful out of UCONN, but it is definitely more of an uphill climb.
Yeah, UConn is hit harder than BU/BC because Yale's prestige is a lot bigger of a hurdle to deal with compared to Harvard's.

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Post by Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 pm

There are so many factors here that overwhelm what any one of us can say about these schools. Consider Washington in St. Louis. A great midwest school, and yet St. Louis market places much better from St. Louis University Law, which is no where near the same quality.

ALSO we are flat out guessing right now as to individual markets. In spring I was able to attend a hill-day in D.C. and spoke with a number of young lawyers and legal assistants to senators and congressmen and what-not. The prevailing thought was that the D.C. market was over-saturated but that there was a worry that because of this there would actually be a shortage of top talents in the next 3-4 years as young people choose other professions rather than law, combined with a likely sharp increase in the need for legal-expertise in the wide creation of government divisions etc. etc.

And that could all be total bullshit.

For Boston and CT, I always thought that Yale/Harvard grads tended to go all over the country (and world). I doubt they will create a localized saturation problem.

For New York, my plan is to only go that way if I get into NYU/Columbia.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:37 pm

i already applied to Wash St. Louis

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”