Law Schools That Are Good With $

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:33 pm

As I wait for my LSAT score, I'm plotting schools that my previous score would get me into.

With regards to safeties, I was wondering if one has numbers that are good enough for a T-20...

What schools ranked say 30 and under are notoriously good for large scholarships? I'm talking about 30-70.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:45 pm

justadude55 wrote:As I wait for my LSAT score, I'm plotting schools that my previous score would get me into.

With regards to safeties, I was wondering if one has numbers that are good enough for a T-20...

What schools ranked say 30 and under are notoriously good for large scholarships? I'm talking about 30-70.

Again, forget about rankings. Outside of a few select schools, rankings are very misleading. A school ranked 41 isnt necessarily better than a school ranked 50 and so on.

Almost all of the "30-70" ranked law schools that youre asking about are primarily regional. Which means that youd better be comfortable working in the city/immediate area where you went to school.

As far as money goes, a lot of schools have different requirements. There is no cutoff in many cases. Check LSN.

Good luck!

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I know Fordham doesn't even give full rides to 4.0 and 180, where as top-10 schools might. I don't have these #'s, but they are illustrative.

This was basically the gist I was getting at.

For example, I would not apply to a school ranked 60 if they gave the same amount of $ as a school in the 30s...

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby eandy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:13 pm

What is your GPA? What do you think, conservatively, that your LSAT will be? That has a big impact.

UGA gives a fair bit of money, considering how cheap it is anyway. I can't really comment on other schools that much.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:21 pm

justadude55 wrote:I know Fordham doesn't even give full rides to 4.0 and 180, where as top-10 schools might. I don't have these #'s, but they are illustrative.

This was basically the gist I was getting at.

For example, I would not apply to a school ranked 60 if they gave the same amount of $ as a school in the 30s...

Again, unless youre 100% comfortable graduating from such a school and working from said schools immediate region, dont even bother applying. You cannot take a degree from UCinci, UMiami, Pitt, etc etc to every single market.

Some schools are notorious for not being very generous. Off the top of my head I know Fordham, American, George Mason and UMiami arent.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 pm

gdane5 wrote:Some schools are notorious for not being very generous. Off the top of my head I know Fordham, American, George Mason and UMiami arent.


This is a much easier question to answer than which schools will give lots of scholarship money. OP: narrow down your choices by region and then weed out the ones who don't give substantial scholarship money. Most schools where you will get substantial scholarship money should give you a fee waiver (there are some exceptions), so you can spread your apps around a bit.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby justadude55 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Miami isn't generous? They told me they do give out full schollys.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12424
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:38 pm

justadude55 wrote:Miami isn't generous? They told me they do give out full schollys.

They arent generous in the sense that they "run out" of money very quickly. Im in Miami and I know a lot of people that were offered admission, but didnt get much, if any, money because UMiami told them there was none left. Amount wise, they are generous. Quanitity wise, they arent.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Law Schools That Are Good With $

Postby RPK34 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Two schools that I've run into that seem to be pretty generous are BU and W&L.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests