[Engineering] Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
silly101

[Engineering] Resume

Postby silly101 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:44 pm

i have quite a bit of research/technical stuff on my resume right now-technical jargon etc. should i cut that down to gear it more to law school? should i "dumb" it down?
ive spent a significant amount of time on this stuff, and if i cut i down, my resume will be shorter
how do i address this?
thanks!

r6_philly

Re: [Engineering] Resume

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 pm

I took my professional resume and took out the tech stuff. Don't take out your achievements, but rephrase it in non-technical terms.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:03 pm

i dont know how. that would reduce it from like 3-4 bullets to 1 bullet in two sections
im afraid it will diminish the work that ive done-its a big part of my resume

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Example:

"Fabricated luminescent silicon nanocrystal colloids via a high-temperature aerosol reaction" *(I did a random Google search for technical terms and got this)

becomes

"Fabricated novel materials in nanotechnology"

i dont know how. that would reduce it from like 3-4 bullets to 1 bullet in two sections
im afraid it will diminish the work that ive done-its a big part of my resume

I think the inability to dumb things down shows that you are unable to communicate with people unlike yourself.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:05 am

Black-Blue wrote:Example:

"Fabricated luminescent silicon nanocrystal colloids via a high-temperature aerosol reaction" *(I did a random Google search for technical terms and got this)

becomes

"Fabricated novel materials in nanotechnology"

+1

"Researched searching efficiency of a fix-sized close-looped hash table using bi-direction linked list without rehashing " becomes "Researched searching efficiency in data structures". Generalize it. I think they would care about the subject area of your research rather than the specific research topic.

sra_sundance

Postby sra_sundance » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:32 am

I agree with the summarizing into more vernacular advice. Though I must admit I'm likely keeping some pretty technical stuff on mine, but I'm a former lab scientist and have a hard time breaking up with my lab skills section.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 am

sra_sundance wrote:I agree with the summarizing into more vernacular advice. Though I must admit I'm likely keeping some pretty technical stuff on mine, but I'm a former lab scientist and have a hard time breaking up with my lab skills section.

I know the feeling, but they are not looking for your labs skills. You should keep your lab skills in your OCI resume, but not admissions resume. If anything they may feel that you are too tech focused. Those skills are probably not too relevant to how you would do in first year of law school. I hate to turn the person off with the jargon so they would put my resume down.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:03 pm

ok thanks
that makes sense

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”