Berkeley Law Student Members Admission Review Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulFish

Bronze

Berkeley Law Student Members Admission Review

Post by HopefulFish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Good or bad idea?
Last edited by HopefulFish on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Berkeley Law Student Members Admission Review

Post by bk1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Huh?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't see why the students would care more about numbers than the usual admissions committee. If anything I would think that it is the opposite and students (maybe those who's numbers were low themselves) are more likely to look holistically at an application. If anything having an extra person who can advocate for you would seem to be a good thing.
Last edited by bdubs on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:43 pm

bk187 wrote:Huh?
Berkeley asks for your permission to have a student member of the admissions committee review your file.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Don't forget that a lot of Berkeley Law students would NOT be Berkeley Law Students if the school focused more on LSAT... :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:05 pm

I think it's worth asking which of your numbers is "low". As the above poster mentioned, Berkeley tends to be less LSAT focused, but they do seem to care quite a bit about your GPA.

A student who got into Berkeley with a 4.0 and 163 LSAT is probably going to look much differently at an application with a 3.3/175 than a 4.0/162 (just making stuff up here). I don't think that this will change my advice much, if at all.

thechee

Bronze

Post by thechee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I could be wrong, but vaguely I recall reading somewhere that the student reviewers see everything but your numbers.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:23 pm

I went to an admissions event a few weeks ago with Dean Tom. IIRC, he said the he and his assistants read all of the files, and he admits around 550 or so, and the rest go on to the student/faculty committee (it is not just students - the file is read by two students and one professor), and they issue 275 acceptances. (I don't remember the exact numbers.) It is not the case where the file is read either by Dean Tom or student/faculty committee. So if you say no to the committee reading the file, if Dean Tom does not admit you, I guess that means you are done.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:35 pm

The students on the admissions committee are looking for people they want at the school. As in, you are not a douchebag and it sounds like you could substantively contribute to the law school environment. If you have low numbers, faculty/student review is your way in and you WANT students to review your file.

At least, I think that's what the OP was talking about. That is one weirdly phrased question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:27 am

sarahhope82 wrote:I went to an admissions event a few weeks ago with Dean Tom. IIRC, he said the he and his assistants read all of the files, and he admits around 550 or so, and the rest go on to the student/faculty committee (it is not just students - the file is read by two students and one professor), and they issue 275 acceptances. (I don't remember the exact numbers.) It is not the case where the file is read either by Dean Tom or student/faculty committee. So if you say no to the committee reading the file, if Dean Tom does not admit you, I guess that means you are done.
Not true. I moved on to faculty review last after requesting students not read my application. I had an unusual application and did not feel comfortable with the idea of having peers review my application. It's just that once you are in faculty review there will only be a faculty opinion on your application without student input. The questions are do you feel comfortable with peers reading your application and do you think it will help you or hurt you if they do as opposed to just having a faculty member review an application.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:32 am

worldtraveler wrote:The students on the admissions committee are looking for people they want at the school. As in, you are not a douchebag and it sounds like you could substantively contribute to the law school environment. If you have low numbers, faculty/student review is your way in and you WANT students to review your file.

At least, I think that's what the OP was talking about. That is one weirdly phrased question.
I agree with this. The idea that student reviewers are thinking "well, I'm already a student here, so I want to admit the highest numbers possible to increase the medians" seems a little far-fetched to me.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:06 am

worldtraveler wrote:The students on the admissions committee are looking for people they want at the school. As in, you are not a douchebag and it sounds like you could substantively contribute to the law school environment. If you have low numbers, faculty/student review is your way in and you WANT students to review your file.

ughh its berkeley

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”