Optional essay or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KylieMorrison

Optional essay or not?

Postby KylieMorrison » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:11 pm

One of the schools I am applying to gives the option of writing an additional essay to be considered for an academic scholarship. The requirements for the essay say to describe any personal accomplishments, experiences, or aspects of your background that you believe will contribute a diverse perspective to the educational environment. While I’m not ethnically diverse, I feel as though my job gives me a unique perspective. Could this essay hurt my application at all? I have written a rough draft and I know it will need a lot of work before it is above average but I would rather be spending that time perfecting my personal statement. So would it be better to submit something that might be average or submit nothing at all? I just wouldn’t want it to hurt me in anyway. Thanks.

cowgirl_bebop

Re: Optional essay or not?

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:28 pm

KylieMorrison wrote:One of the schools I am applying to gives the option of writing an additional essay to be considered for an academic scholarship. The requirements for the essay say to describe any personal accomplishments, experiences, or aspects of your background that you believe will contribute a diverse perspective to the educational environment. While I’m not ethnically diverse, I feel as though my job gives me a unique perspective. Could this essay hurt my application at all? I have written a rough draft and I know it will need a lot of work before it is above average but I would rather be spending that time perfecting my personal statement. So would it be better to submit something that might be average or submit nothing at all? I just wouldn’t want it to hurt me in anyway. Thanks.

Dont submit anything that will drag your app down. Either put effort into the optional essay or dont write one at all. It may be optional, but if you submit it the adcomms WILL see it and you dont anything to cast a pall on your application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”