Which T14 law schools like receiving Why X essays?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iwanta170

Which T14 law schools like receiving Why X essays?

Postby iwanta170 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Aside from Duke, Michigan, Penn, is it worth it to write one for any other T14 schools?

Sorry if this is a repost

capitalacq

Re: Which T14 law schools like receiving Why X essays?

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:23 am

some people will say UVA, but none of the schools care that much anyway.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:09 am

capitalacq wrote:some people will say UVA, but none of the schools care that much anyway.

If you're above medians for the schools mentioned here you may wish to write a "Why X?" essay to avoid being yield-protected. I don't think it would hurt to throw one to, say, NU, but the four mentioned here are the ones most people write "Why X?" essays for. T6 knows they're hot shit, so no need to bother there.
Last edited by sgtgrumbles on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am

Berkeley gives you 4 pages. It would probably help to include a Why X paragraph or two if you can work it in artfully.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:27 am

Every personal statement should be, to some extent, geared toward "Why X?" The point of a personal statement is to communicate yourself to an admin and make them understand why your life story/experience/goals has led you to your current position (i.e., applying to law school). A failure to articulate why school X fits into your personal narrative gives the school no reason to select you over any other similarly qualified applicant. Ask yourself what you'd want to hear if you were an admin. Schools have egos, and they like when you cater to them, so long as you do so in a sincere manner.

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:55 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Every personal statement should be, to some extent, geared toward "Why X?" The point of a personal statement is to communicate yourself to an admin and make them understand why your life story/experience/goals has led you to your current position (i.e., applying to law school). A failure to articulate why school X fits into your personal narrative gives the school no reason to select you over any other similarly qualified applicant. Ask yourself what you'd want to hear if you were an admin. Schools have egos, and they like when you cater to them, so long as you do so in a sincere manner.

No.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:01 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Every personal statement should be, to some extent, geared toward "Why X?" The point of a personal statement is to communicate yourself to an admin and make them understand why your life story/experience/goals has led you to your current position (i.e., applying to law school). A failure to articulate why school X fits into your personal narrative gives the school no reason to select you over any other similarly qualified applicant. Ask yourself what you'd want to hear if you were an admin. Schools have egos, and they like when you cater to them, so long as you do so in a sincere manner.

If by cater to them you mean they like it when you raise their medians, then yes they do like it when you cater to them.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:11 pm

lol This is just not true. If you want to do this, that's fine. I certainly did not do this.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Northwestern

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

Thanks. Any other schools? What about Georgetown? (I wrote one for Georgetown and then realized they don't ask for one. Should I submit it?)

nyk3

Postby nyk3 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm

What about Cornell? They have a small section on their app asking for why you want to go to Cornell - should I just fill it out in two sentences or submit an addendum?

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

KG_CalGuy wrote:Every personal statement should be, to some extent, geared toward "Why X?"One point of a personal statement is to communicate yourself to an admin and make them understand why your life story/experience/goals has led you to your current position (i.e., applying to law school). A failure to articulate why school X fits into your personal narrative gives the school no reason to select you over any other similarly qualified applicant. Ask yourself what you'd want to hear if you were an admin. Schools have egos, and they like when you cater to them, so long as you do so in a sincere manner.

This seems better.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
capitalacq wrote:some people will say UVA, but none of the schools care that much anyway.

If you're above medians for the schools mentioned here you may wish to write a "Why X?" essay to avoid being yield-protected. I don't think it would hurt to throw one to, say, NU, but the four mentioned here are the ones most people write "Why X?" essays for. T6 knows they're hot shit, so no need to bother there.

Ding - Chi likes why Chi.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Chicago does? I thought they are one of the schools that are considered so good that it's dumb to send a Why X

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Chicago does? I thought they are one of the schools that are considered so good that it's dumb to send a Why X

Weeeeelllllllll, you DO sound a little dumb.

Their class size is so small and their school so unique they want to make sure you can fit in.

Schools that are too good for a Why X essay: Harvard/Yale/done (although for some reason NYU doesn't seem to care one way or the other, I think it has to do with class size).

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 am

iwanta170 wrote:Chicago does? I thought they are one of the schools that are considered so good that it's dumb to send a Why X

Chicago doesn't want one. ignore bad advice.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:17 am

capitalacq wrote:

Says the man who didn't even apply to the T-14.
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

1Levening2013

Postby 1Levening2013 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 am

the schools that like the are the ones that request them

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

sorry I wanted to go to a school with a good sport team, not some philly TTT

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 pm

capitalacq wrote:
Veyron wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

sorry I wanted to go to a school with a good sport team, not some philly TTT

Let me know how that works out for you 'round OCI brah.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”