LOR signature portion for the applicant?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pseudonym1
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am

LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby pseudonym1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Does anyone know whether or not it is mandatory that we sign the letter of recommendation waiver portion?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 pm

It's not mandatory, but it might offend your LOR writer if you don't (shows implicit mistrust).

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 pm

It's not mandatory, but is generally considered good etiquette.

See: http://chronicle.com/forums/index.php/t ... 005.0.html

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:38 pm

I believe Yale's blog at some point said that if you don't sign it, that they assume you have read it and are inclined to take it less seriously.

Even if you aren't applying to Yale, I imagine other adcomms feel the same way.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:44 pm

2014 wrote:I believe Yale's blog at some point said that if you don't sign it, that they assume you have read it and are inclined to take it less seriously.

Even if you aren't applying to Yale, I imagine other adcomms feel the same way.

You should ask your LOR writer if you can read the letter regardless of whether you sign the form.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7968
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 pm

It's a waiver giving away your right to read the letter so it's obviously not required. It is recommended though. If you do not sign it then the schools may assume that your recommender wrote your letter knowing that you were going to read it and thus may have given false praise. So they will not put as much stock in the letter as they would have if they knew it was genuine.

CastleRock wrote:You should ask your LOR writer if you can read the letter regardless of whether you sign the form.

From what I've read you should leave it up to your recommender to determine whether you read the letter (if they offer then read it, if they don't then don't ask). <-- but this is just what I read somewhere.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:It's a waiver giving away your right to read the letter so it's obviously not required. It is recommended though. If you do not sign it then the schools may assume that your recommender wrote your letter knowing that you were going to read it and thus may have given false praise. So they will not put as much stock in the letter as they would have if they knew it was genuine.

CastleRock wrote:You should ask your LOR writer if you can read the letter regardless of whether you sign the form.

From what I've read you should leave it up to your recommender to determine whether you read the letter (if they offer then read it, if they don't then don't ask). <-- but this is just what I read somewhere.


Not to sound like a dick, but it's obviously up to your recommender if they let you read it. I personally only chose LOR writer that would allow me to read them. I had three recommenders, and if I hadn't read them I would not have sent my best LORs.

Edit: Also, it's a common misconception that by signing the LOR form you state that you will not read the letter. This is not the case. It just waives your right to ask the school to show you the letter at a later date.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7968
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:56 pm

CastleRock wrote:Not to sound like a dick, but it's obviously up to your recommender if they let you read it. I personally only chose LOR writer that would allow me to read them. I had three recommenders, and if I hadn't read them I would not have sent my best LORs.

? That's what I just said, it's up to them to let you read it you shouldn't ask them.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Not to sound like a dick, but it's obviously up to your recommender if they let you read it. I personally only chose LOR writer that would allow me to read them. I had three recommenders, and if I hadn't read them I would not have sent my best LORs.

? That's what I just said, it's up to them to let you read it you shouldn't ask them.

Sorry if there was confusion. I just wouldn't use someone if they wouldn't let me read the letter. What do they have to hide?

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7968
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby Pleasye » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 pm

CastleRock wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Not to sound like a dick, but it's obviously up to your recommender if they let you read it. I personally only chose LOR writer that would allow me to read them. I had three recommenders, and if I hadn't read them I would not have sent my best LORs.

? That's what I just said, it's up to them to let you read it you shouldn't ask them.

Sorry if there was confusion. I just wouldn't use someone if they wouldn't let me read the letter. What do they have to hide?

I just think it's a matter of trusting the person writing your letter. I didn't ask my recommenders to read the letters they wrote because I trust that they wrote positive things (I actually specifically asked if they would feel comfortable writing me strong and positive recommendations). But I also see your point so I guess in this case it's just a matter of preference. :)

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
CastleRock wrote:Not to sound like a dick, but it's obviously up to your recommender if they let you read it. I personally only chose LOR writer that would allow me to read them. I had three recommenders, and if I hadn't read them I would not have sent my best LORs.

? That's what I just said, it's up to them to let you read it you shouldn't ask them.

Sorry if there was confusion. I just wouldn't use someone if they wouldn't let me read the letter. What do they have to hide?

I just think it's a matter of trusting the person writing your letter. I didn't ask my recommenders to read the letters they wrote because I trust that they wrote positive things (I actually specifically asked if they would feel comfortable writing me strong and positive recommendations). But I also see your point so I guess in this case it's just a matter of preference. :)


Honestly, I trust my profs to write good things but I wasn't so sure they would edit their letters. Good thing too, because one of my profs called me a "her".

pseudonym1
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby pseudonym1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks for the response, guys! I chose not to sign mine because I didn't see the need. Obviously, no one will choose someone who is going to say negative things about them. Unless, of course, it is by mistake. I just think that if any professor is going to say something to someone else that they wouldn't say to me, they are better off not saying it. So, in a way it is somewhat of a deterrent. I honestly don't see someone holding back their praise of the applicant because of fear they will read it. Although, I do think it is likely for LOR writers to refrain from being unnecessarily candid if they presume that the applicant will have a chance to read it in the future.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 pm

pseudonym1 wrote:Thanks for the response, guys! I chose not to sign mine because I didn't see the need. Obviously, no one will choose someone who is going to say negative things about them. Unless, of course, it is by mistake. I just think that if any professor is going to say something to someone else that they wouldn't say to me, they are better off not saying it. So, in a way it is somewhat of a deterrent. I honestly don't see someone holding back their praise of the applicant because of fear they will read it. Although, I do think it is likely for LOR writers to refrain from being unnecessarily candid if they presume that the applicant will have a chance to read it in the future.

You need to sign it. It is seen as a very negative thing if you do not sign it. VERY NEGATIVE.

pseudonym1
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:02 am

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby pseudonym1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 pm

CastleRock wrote:
pseudonym1 wrote:Thanks for the response, guys! I chose not to sign mine because I didn't see the need. Obviously, no one will choose someone who is going to say negative things about them. Unless, of course, it is by mistake. I just think that if any professor is going to say something to someone else that they wouldn't say to me, they are better off not saying it. So, in a way it is somewhat of a deterrent. I honestly don't see someone holding back their praise of the applicant because of fear they will read it. Although, I do think it is likely for LOR writers to refrain from being unnecessarily candid if they presume that the applicant will have a chance to read it in the future.

You need to sign it. It is seen as a very negative thing if you do not sign it. VERY NEGATIVE.

Why though? I don't understand....

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 pm

pseudonym1 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
pseudonym1 wrote:Thanks for the response, guys! I chose not to sign mine because I didn't see the need. Obviously, no one will choose someone who is going to say negative things about them. Unless, of course, it is by mistake. I just think that if any professor is going to say something to someone else that they wouldn't say to me, they are better off not saying it. So, in a way it is somewhat of a deterrent. I honestly don't see someone holding back their praise of the applicant because of fear they will read it. Although, I do think it is likely for LOR writers to refrain from being unnecessarily candid if they presume that the applicant will have a chance to read it in the future.

You need to sign it. It is seen as a very negative thing if you do not sign it. VERY NEGATIVE.

Why though? I don't understand....

You don't need to understand, it's just seen by adcomms as a negative thing. There is tons of literature on the subject, if you have an admissions book it will probably have why. You have to sign it if you don't want it to affect your cycle.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 pm

CastleRock wrote:
pseudonym1 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
pseudonym1 wrote:Thanks for the response, guys! I chose not to sign mine because I didn't see the need. Obviously, no one will choose someone who is going to say negative things about them. Unless, of course, it is by mistake. I just think that if any professor is going to say something to someone else that they wouldn't say to me, they are better off not saying it. So, in a way it is somewhat of a deterrent. I honestly don't see someone holding back their praise of the applicant because of fear they will read it. Although, I do think it is likely for LOR writers to refrain from being unnecessarily candid if they presume that the applicant will have a chance to read it in the future.

You need to sign it. It is seen as a very negative thing if you do not sign it. VERY NEGATIVE.

Why though? I don't understand....

You don't need to understand, it's just seen by adcomms as a negative thing. There is tons of literature on the subject, if you have an admissions book it will probably have why. You have to sign it if you don't want it to affect your cycle.

Overly alarmist. The adcomms won't take the LORs seriously, but then again the LORs rarely mean much anyway.
Last edited by dextermorgan on Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby kazu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 pm

CastleRock wrote:You don't need to understand, it's just seen by adcomms as a negative thing. There is tons of literature on the subject, if you have an admissions book it will probably have why. You have to sign it if you don't want it to affect your cycle.

+1.
If you don't sign it it means that law schools will let you see it after you've matriculated. It does not mean that LSAC will show it to you, or that law schools will show it to you before they've accepted you. It also has nothing to do with having your LOR writer show it to you directly. However, if you don't sign it adcomms will think the letter is less reliable/trustworthy, and won't put much weight on it.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: LOR signature portion for the applicant?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:57 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Overly alarmist. The adcomms won't take the LORs seriously, but then again the LORs rarely mean much anyway.

There is no point in drawing attention to negatives of your app for no apparent reason.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KPUSN07, NavyNuke, Poplar7spruce, vintageblazers, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests