Mensa membership and applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Adjudicator

Re: Mensa membership and applications

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Ragged wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:No. In fact it is shocking how low of an LSAT score (95th percentile or higher) qualifies one for membership. 95th percentile on the LSAT is about a 167. President Obama scored 171 on his LSAT according to one website, while others just specify that he scored at the 98th percentile & another website points out that those who write that Pres. Obama achieved a 169 or 171 are incorrect because different scoring was in effect at the time he sat for the LSAT.

Wait. You can get Mensa membership from LSAT? I thought that was just IQ...

It is true, I went on their website and apparently they recognize over 200 standardized tests as potential qualifiers.

If you have the LSAC send them a copy of your LSAT score in the 95th percentile or above, you're in.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 pm

There are many qualifying tests. The LSAT may be the most highly regarded because of its difficulty--although that is relative.
P.S. If you are here & scored in the 160s, you are smart. If you scored in the high 160s or above, the world wants to celebrate you. Odd, but true.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Mensa is TTT. If you have to join a high IQ club to show that you are smart, you seriously need to find other ways to demonstrate intelligence.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:36 am

I'm coming up on the 5-year reunion of my Mensa membership and I believe that it will provide a significant boost to my law school applications. It's one of the most prestigious and exclusive intellectual societies in the world. Ignore the "haters" here who couldn't get in and are trying to trashtalk you. Mensa is a great honor and you should be proud to be eligible for membership. When I wear my mensa sweatshirt or hat, strangers know that I'm a genius and instantly respect my opinion. Another added benefit of membership is access to exclusive mensa events. Like me, you're probably finding that most of the females you talk to are complete idiots. Well, at the mensa events, they are actually intelligent despite their gender (that's where I met my fiance)

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:47 am

capitalacq wrote:I'm coming up on the 5-year reunion of my Mensa membership and I believe that it will provide a significant boost to my law school applications. It's one of the most prestigious and exclusive intellectual societies in the world. Ignore the "haters" here who couldn't get in and are trying to trashtalk you. Mensa is a great honor and you should be proud to be eligible for membership. When I wear my mensa sweatshirt or hat, strangers know that I'm a genius and instantly respect my opinion. Another added benefit of membership is access to exclusive mensa events. Like me, you're probably finding that most of the females you talk to are complete idiots. Well, at the mensa events, they are actually intelligent despite their gender (that's where I met my fiance)

I assume you're being sarcastic?

In any case, most of the Mensa members I've dealt with have been quick to (loudly) proclaim their intelligence (and often their membership in Mensa), and have generally been lacking in basic social awareness. I do qualify for Mensa and I checked into them (if only out of morbid curiosity), and they really don't seem to offer much outside of "zomg guys I'm in Mensa!" Not really my cup of tea.

As it relates to admissions, I guarantee that it won't affect your cycle. If you have the LSAT score to qualify for membership, that's going to say much more than sending a check to Mensa will.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:50 am

He is a troll. Don't feed him too much.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:51 am

CanadianWolf wrote:There are many qualifying tests. The LSAT may be the most highly regarded because of its difficulty--although that is relative.
P.S. If you are here & scored in the 160s, you are smart. If you scored in the high 160s or above, the world wants to celebrate you. Odd, but true.
If only they wanted to hire you instead :?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:53 am

beachbum wrote:
capitalacq wrote:I'm coming up on the 5-year reunion of my Mensa membership and I believe that it will provide a significant boost to my law school applications. It's one of the most prestigious and exclusive intellectual societies in the world. Ignore the "haters" here who couldn't get in and are trying to trashtalk you. Mensa is a great honor and you should be proud to be eligible for membership. When I wear my mensa sweatshirt or hat, strangers know that I'm a genius and instantly respect my opinion. Another added benefit of membership is access to exclusive mensa events. Like me, you're probably finding that most of the females you talk to are complete idiots. Well, at the mensa events, they are actually intelligent despite their gender (that's where I met my fiance)

In any case, most of the Mensa members I've dealt with have been quick to (loudly) proclaim their intelligence (and often their membership in Mensa), and have generally been lacking in basic social awareness. I do qualify for Mensa and I checked into them (if only out of morbid curiosity), and they really don't seem to offer much outside of "zomg guys I'm in Mensa!" Not really my cup of tea.

As it relates to admissions, I guarantee that it won't affect your cycle. If you have the LSAT score to qualify for membership, that's going to say much more than sending a check to Mensa will.

I'm not, and I think you'd probably enjoy it too. There's nothing wrong with being a proud member of mensa. It's really great to be in an organization with other intellectuals. Even if you don't attend the events, just being able to share the mensa bond with an adcomm/employer should earn you some points. Obviously, there are a few members lacking social abilities, but they are rather rare. In fact, at the mensa conferences I've attended, I can't think of any members lacking social skills. Everyone is very friendly, willing to talk about topics you probably can't have with friends of average intelligence, and enjoys having fun (there's plenty of D&D games you can get involved with, Magic clubs if you like playing cards, starcraft marathons, etc.)

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 am

Stupid girls are easier despite their gender.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 am

capitalacq wrote:
beachbum wrote:

I'm not, and I think you'd probably enjoy it too. There's nothing wrong with being a proud member of mensa. It's really great to be in an organization with other intellectuals. Even if you don't attend the events, just being able to share the mensa bond with an adcomm/employer should earn you some points. Obviously, there are a few members lacking social abilities, but they are rather rare. In fact, at the mensa conferences I've attended, I can't think of any members lacking social skills. Everyone is very friendly, willing to talk about topics you probably can't have with friends of average intelligence, and enjoys having fun (there's plenty of D&D games you can get involved with, Magic clubs if you like playing cards, starcraft marathons, etc.)
Tell me they LARP and I'll join twice :shock:

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 am

capitalacq wrote:Everyone is very friendly, willing to talk about topics you probably can't have with friends of average intelligence, and enjoys having fun (there's plenty of D&D games you can get involved with, Magic clubs if you like playing cards, starcraft marathons, etc.)

Who doesn't want to punch you after this?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:03 am

stratocophic wrote:Tell me they LARP and I'll join twice :shock:

I haven't had any personal involvement in LARPing (they tend to do it outdoors and I have sun allergies), but there's definitely some mensa LARP games! I'm not sure where you're located, but if I've convinced you to join and you are nearby I could get you set up in one of the games!

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:04 am

HyeMart wrote:
capitalacq wrote:Everyone is very friendly, willing to talk about topics you probably can't have with friends of average intelligence, and enjoys having fun (there's plenty of D&D games you can get involved with, Magic clubs if you like playing cards, starcraft marathons, etc.)

Who doesn't want to punch you after this?

:?:

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:08 am

I feel like a lot of people here have an extremely misguided view of what MENSA is all about. This is pretty common amongst those who posses average to below average intelligence. Jealousy and envy are well establish evolutionary traits found in more primitive primates and it's really interesting seeing some of our genetic past manifest itself in some of the posters in this thread.

You guys really should try to move past it though, I strongly encourage you all to read the MENSA Constitution

http://www.mensa.org/sites/default/file ... on2009.pdf

Maybe during the American Idol commercials you all can get a little reading done. It's pretty low level reading, so I think most of you should be able to handle it.

If any has any questions, feel free to PM me!

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:14 am

D. H2Oman wrote:I feel like a lot of people here have an extremely misguided view of what MENSA is all about. This is pretty common amongst those who posses average to below average intelligence. Jealousy and envy are well establish evolutionary traits found in more primitive primates and it's really interesting seeing some of our genetic past manifest itself in some of the posters in this thread.

You guys really should try to move past it though, I strongly encourage you all to read the MENSA Constitution

Maybe during the American Idol commercials you all can get a little reading done. It's pretty low level reading, so I think most of you should be able to handle it.

I'm glad to see there's another member here!

Did you go to the convention in Dearborn this past summer? It was the best Annual Gathering in at least three years. It's possible we may have met each other!

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 am

bjc314 wrote:
bk1 wrote:Mensa boost is probably as large if not larger than the URM boost.

You know this how?

Got him. Excellent work inspector gadget.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 am

capitalacq wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:I feel like a lot of people here have an extremely misguided view of what MENSA is all about. This is pretty common amongst those who posses average to below average intelligence. Jealousy and envy are well establish evolutionary traits found in more primitive primates and it's really interesting seeing some of our genetic past manifest itself in some of the posters in this thread.

I'm glad to see there's another member here!

Did you go to the convention in Dearborn this past summer? It was the best Annual Gathering in at least three years. It's possible we may have met each other!

Yeah I was there! I didn't get around to meeting quite as many members as I would have liked. I got into a top-notch Magic game and it got down right wild. I was impressed the comped us the Motel 6 stay. All in all it was a hell a of a week.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:37 am

H20Man is just the worst and at the same time the best poster at times.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
capitalacq wrote:I'm glad to see there's another member here!

Yeah I was there! I didn't get around to meeting quite as many members as I would have liked. I got into a top-notch Magic game and it got down right wild. I was impressed the comped us the Motel 6 stay. All in all it was a hell a of a week.

oh I'm sooo jealous! I was really looking forward to the Magic game this year but my bag ended up on the wrong flight and didn't arrive in time- Can you believe that??? When you combine that with the fact that the passenger next to me on the plane couldn't solve a medium-difficulty Sudoku puzzle in an hour, I don't think I'm ever flying Southwest again!

I'll send you a PM with my phone number. We should talk sometime. Perhaps we can room with one another at next year's annual gathering? (my fiance is going to overseas so I'll need a new bunkmate :( )

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 am

real smart guy there

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am

HyeMart wrote:real smart guy there

I might be smart, but I still can't comprehend your hostility towards me.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Ragged wrote:H20Man is just the worst and at the same time the best poster at times.

FTFY

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 pm

OK perhaps I'm not Mensa material (though I do qualify), but I can't figure out if wolf-boy and Bieber Fever are being serious...

If they are, God help us all.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:03 pm

OK perhaps I'm not Mensa material (though I do qualify), but I can't figure out if wolf-boy and Bieber Fever are being serious...

You had better watch out for those two. I was passing through the Dearborn Motel 6 last year and wandered into the mensa convention while I was looking for the continental breakfast. D.H20 Man was beating the crap out of Capitalacq with a plastic magic wand after D.H20's level 27 mage lost to Capital's level 19 Palidin. Pretty soon, everyone was Kung Fu Fighting- man those guys were fast as lightnin.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”