2 page resume? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CGI Fridays

Silver

Re: 2 page resume?

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm

--ImageRemoved--
I promise no more

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Sorry, did not mean to be misunderstood about flipping burgers. I just didn't want to start listing what I think it shows. As you'll see from my last post, I am a firm believer in the value of work experience of any kind! I worked 20-40 hours in service/student-jobs every quarter of undergrad... would love to have had that time to study, but didn't. And will damn well list my barista position (without bullet points!!! obviously) for the time I worked there (1 year, 10-40 hours per week).

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 pm

kwais wrote:
URMdan wrote:
kwais wrote:
URMdan wrote:Jesus Christ. This is the appropriate answer:

Follow whatever directions exist first and foremost regarding page length. If no directions are given, then use 2 pages at your own discretion. Keep in mind that you will look like an asshat if you go over 1 page due to filler WE

/endthread
You are wrong. Everyone saying that 2 pages (or more) is fine is quoting adcomms. Everyone espousing the above position just sounds (curiously) angry.

No.

Appropriateness depends on what the directions say. There is obviously no universal rule for this "issue" since school X will explicitly ask for a 1-3 pager, while school Z will ask for a 1 pager. This is why you need to have multiple resumes on hand. The only general rule here is that if you're going to push your resume to 2 pages, especially when no directions specifying page length are provided, you damn well better have a good reason for it. If you go over a page because you insisted on going into detail about how you deep-fried french fries for 2 months at the end of freshman year, then you have a problem my friend.

There is nothing to be gained from filler WE aside from showing adcomms that part of your schedule was dedicated to working during that time period. This is why I've elected to include some filler in my resume, but I do not get into any detail as it is irrelevant and space consuming.

Oh, and adcomms telling you that a 1.2 page resume is just as good as a 1 pager is like adcomms saying that URM status does not matter.
Whose general rule? Yours?
May I ask what your GPA/LSAT is? I hope you weren't banking on your job at Guitar Center to get you into law school :lol: . MASHALAAAA

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:46 pm

r6_philly wrote: Look at it this way. If you lack the WE to fill a 1 pager, they are just going to assume you have no relevant experiences and refer to your GPA/LSAT anyway regardless of how many pages you have. So I doubt that would hurt you.

Also, since you have to list your employment on most applications, they may not even look at your resume if they don't see the summary on the app interesting (that's why they ask you to sum it in a standardized space).
I think that pointless mistakes like this will definitely hurt someone when being considered by a school. Let's say a certain GPA/LSAT combo (i.e. 3.8/170) gets 50/50 waitlists and acceptances at a certain school. Doing things like having a PS with errors, filling out a 2 page resume when you only have enough for a page, etc, are likely to put you as a WL rather than acceptance. Softs don't really matter for the most part, but I really think that careless "mistakes" like these will hurt you when you are on the borderline.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:Those vary greatly.
Was half-joking.

But I really think that applicants should avoid being careless when possible. If you don't have enough to fit 2 pages, they probably won't care, but why even take that chance and submit something that is over a page?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
URMdan wrote: Appropriateness depends on what the directions say. There is obviously no universal rule for this "issue" since school X will explicitly ask for a 1-3 pager, while school Z will ask for a 1 pager.

What school is foolish enough to ask for a 1 pager?

Who knows. I can show you at least 10 T1 T2 schools that explicitly ask for a 1 pager though.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

URMdan wrote: May I ask what your GPA/LSAT is? I hope you weren't banking on your job at Guitar Center to get you into law school :lol: . MASHALAAAA
No, it's his position as head of the Humble Police that he thinks will get him the job.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 pm

bk187 wrote: I think that pointless mistakes like this will definitely hurt someone when being considered by a school. Let's say a certain GPA/LSAT combo (i.e. 3.8/170) gets 50/50 waitlists and acceptances at a certain school. Doing things like having a PS with errors, filling out a 2 page resume when you only have enough for a page, etc, are likely to put you as a WL rather than acceptance. Softs don't really matter for the most part, but I really think that careless "mistakes" like these will hurt you when you are on the borderline.
I will agree you with this. I just think if someone need to stuff a 1 pager into a 2 pager, there can't be much substance in their PS. So your ship would have been sunk before you get to the resume anyway.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I think that we can all agree that if you want to include filler WE, then avoid going into detail about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:51 pm

URMdan wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
URMdan wrote: Appropriateness depends on what the directions say. There is obviously no universal rule for this "issue" since school X will explicitly ask for a 1-3 pager, while school Z will ask for a 1 pager.

What school is foolish enough to ask for a 1 pager?

Who knows. I can show you at least 10 T1 T2 schools that explicitly ask for a 1 pager though.
Really? I didn't know. Examples? Maybe this is manifestation of the fact that they don't feel overly qualified applicants would remain that far down? Or maybe they really don't care that far down?

But if I have a 175/3.9 don't you think they would accept even if I hand in a 20 page CV?

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:51 pm

r6_philly wrote:
bk187 wrote: I think that pointless mistakes like this will definitely hurt someone when being considered by a school. Let's say a certain GPA/LSAT combo (i.e. 3.8/170) gets 50/50 waitlists and acceptances at a certain school. Doing things like having a PS with errors, filling out a 2 page resume when you only have enough for a page, etc, are likely to put you as a WL rather than acceptance. Softs don't really matter for the most part, but I really think that careless "mistakes" like these will hurt you when you are on the borderline.
I just think if someone need to stuff a 1 pager into a 2 pager, there can't be much substance in their PS. So your ship would have been sunk before you get to the resume anyway.

moot

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 pm

So I need to delete the following?

XXX Coffee House, Sept. 2000 - Sept. 2001
Barista
-served coffee (getting ready for my first year SA job)
-flirted with campus beauties (because I need to hone my flirting skills to confuse opposing counsel)
-ogled milfs (I better get ready for the older ladies so I can double-dip with clients)
-pilfered the register (thereby learning valuable foraging skills; you eat what you kill)
-mopped floors, chose music, etc.

They don't like that kind of detail? But it all matters, man!

JK. Obviously.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:55 pm

May I ask what your GPA/LSAT is? I hope you weren't banking on your job at Guitar Center to get you into law school :lol: . MASHALAAAA

What kind of response is this? I hope you weren't relying on your wit to get you anywhere at all

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:56 pm

r6_philly wrote:I will agree you with this. I just think if someone need to stuff a 1 pager into a 2 pager, there can't be much substance in their PS. So your ship would have been sunk before you get to the resume anyway.
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but if you're not I disagree. There have been plenty of well-written PS's on TLS by people who did not necessarily have a lot to fill a resume.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:58 pm

mr_toad wrote:So I need to delete the following?

XXX Coffee House, Sept. 2000 - Sept. 2001
Barista
-flirted with campus beauties (because I need to hone my flirting skills to confuse opposing counsel)
-ogled milfs (I better get ready for the older ladies so I can double-dip with clients)
-pilfered the register (thereby learning valuable foraging skills; you eat what you kill)

They don't like that kind of detail? But it all matters, man!

JK. Obviously.
While I know this is a joke, & I support going over 1 page IF the school is down & you need the space, this brings up an interesting point. Bulleting everything you did takes up unnecessary space. Go paragraph style if it cuts it to one page. Then again, if paragraph style and wide margins still leave you with 1.2 pages, go bullet, widen the margins, & rock a two-pager.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Am unfamiliar with paragraph style. Example? Feel free to take my bulleted points and turn them into a paragraph.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:04 pm

mr_toad wrote:Am unfamiliar with paragraph style. Example? Feel free to take my bulleted points and turn them into a paragraph.
Take this:

Barista

and turn it into a paragraph. Yes it requires using other words, but overall it saves a bunch of space. I really don't feel like doing an example, but basically those 6 lines could easily be turned into 3 w/ full sentence paragraph style.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:05 pm

kwais wrote:May I ask what your GPA/LSAT is? I hope you weren't banking on your job at Guitar Center to get you into law school :lol: . MASHALAAAA

What kind of response is this? I hope you weren't relying on your wit to get you anywhere at all

I'm sorry if I arrived at the wrong conclusion, you just seem very passionate about filler. So passionate that I couldn't help but assume that the majority of your WE is filler (hence Guitar Center, rock on).

But seriously, can I ask what your GPA/LSAT is?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:07 pm

mr_toad wrote:Am unfamiliar with paragraph style. Example? Feel free to take my bulleted points and turn them into a paragraph.
While getting ready for my first year SA job I served coffee at Starbucks. As impressive as that is I was able to develop other abilities while working the register such as multitasking (I flirted with hotties while taking their order), subtlety (I ogled MILF's without them noticing), and foraging (I burgled the register to increase my pay). I understand that these are all valuable traits that firms seek in new associates and feel that they helped me become a better person. In the unlikely event that I cannot become gainfully employed with a JD, Starbucks also taught me how to mop floors, wipe windows, kiss ass, and choose music so that I am fully prepared to be the office bitch at a biglaw firm.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:08 pm

URMdan wrote:But seriously, can I ask what your GPA/LSAT is?
I don't know, can you?

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
URMdan wrote:But seriously, can I ask what your GPA/LSAT is?
I don't know, can you?
I can

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 pm

URMdan wrote:I can
Then do.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:10 pm

URMdan wrote:... I couldn't help but assume that the majority of your WE is filler (hence Guitar Center, rock on).
This is where you are wrong. This is not a job app resume, where Guitar Center is filler, this is a lawl school resume where they want to track what you've been up to. If you only have a few WE's & Guitar Center is one of 'em, include it!

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:11 pm

BK187: I already feel better about my post-graduation chances. Thank you thank you thank you!

Seriously, nice work.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:11 pm

bk187 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I will agree you with this. I just think if someone need to stuff a 1 pager into a 2 pager, there can't be much substance in their PS. So your ship would have been sunk before you get to the resume anyway.
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but if you're not I disagree. There have been plenty of well-written PS's on TLS by people who did not necessarily have a lot to fill a resume.
Sorry I meant to say "anyone who feels the need to stuff..."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”