LORs from professors

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arism87

LORs from professors

Postby arism87 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 pm

I just got a letter from Cornell stating that they although they received my LORs, they need two from professors (I'm out of school so I had sent one from a professor and one from my boss). Has anyone come across other schools that require this, so I can go ahead and get them in? If it's just Cornell I'm not going to the trouble of asking my professor for one. Thanks!

im_blue

Re: LORs from professors

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Cornell is the only T14 that requires 2 faculty LORs unless you've been out of school for several years.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:56 pm

FYI, 2 years or more out of school - you can use an employer.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Someone reported in another thread that Cornell expects 3-5 years to waive the prof requirement.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 pm

im_blue wrote:Someone reported in another thread that Cornell expects 3-5 years to waive the prof requirement.

The application instructions on Cornell's website say 2 or more. I'm 2+ years out and sent 1 prof and 1 employment, I haven't heard a word from them.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:04 pm

Oh I see, last year's app only said "several years" and left applicants to guess what that meant.

The instructions say:
"If you’re currently an undergraduate, or you’ve graduated but have only been out of school for two years or less, the forms must be completed by faculty members who have taught you. If you’ve graduated and been out of school for several years (two years or more), you can ask an employer or other individual who knows your academic abilities to fill out one of the faculty recommendation forms. Please bear in mind, however, that we’re interested primarily in the recommender’s judgment about your academic abilities and potential for success in the legal profession."

It seems like academic LORs are still preferred over employer LORs, although I'm sure it makes little difference to the final outcome.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”