Diversity Statement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawyerwannabe

Diversity Statement

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm

For the ones that include "educational backgrounds", are people who are not URMs or bring nothing ethnically or religiously to a university's diversity, are you still writing a DS if you had a major such as engineering or mathematics in undergrad? Based on statistics, most people who attend law school are political science or philosophy majors. Does this kind of diversity justify a DS?

Simply curious.

lawyerwannabe

Re: Diversity Statement

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Bump.

Main reason for posting is the Penn application. There is no particular piece of artwork or literature that inspired me to attend law school. Also, while I feel like writing a five-year plan may be feasible, I feel much more comfortable addressing additional essay topic #1 if I am able to say that my educational background adds to the schools diversity. Let me know if specifics could / would help in figuring out this situation.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Being an engineering or math major really isn't diverse. I guess it would be possible to write it as such but incredibly difficult not to sound horribly naive (aka the chances of writing a diversity statement about being an engy coming off well is probably close to nil). I would advise against it but if you really think you can manage a decent job at it write it and have it torn apart by people on this site.

But you're better off just starting on your 5 year plan essay.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Its important to stress that you have to write your statements with a goal/purpose. Dont just write them to write them. They have to demonstrate what you'd bring to the law school.

This is from Ken's Diversity Statement guide:

“Diversity” has so many meanings to law school admissions committees, that the once-buzzword has become stale. Still, admissions committee members value the plenitude suggested by the word. The committee members want to gather a class full of all kinds of different students, with different backgrounds, stories, and wisdom to share, with the expectation that shared knowledge brings humility and tolerance. Anyone who thinks their background qualifies as diverse, should feel free to write about it in their personal statement. As with all statements, the writer should show how the topic contributed to developing his or her intellectual excellence, tangible impact on others, leadership skills, real-world experience, and impartial perspectives. Most commonly, diversity statements deal with issues of socio-economic class, disability, and race. These statements can also focus on (among others) differences of ethnicity, nationality, religious practice, or sexual-orientation that make candidates unique in their social spheres or that caused them hardships they went on to overcome.

FuturePrez

Postby FuturePrez » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:28 pm

I am not a URM, but I found the diversity statement particularly helpful in my application process.

I talked about the number of work experiences I have had. Granted, I have worked in industries rating from exotic car sales, to supply chain management, to healthcare, to compliance and public service, a diversity statement could definitely set you apart from other individuals...

Be sure you talk about maybe particular tasks youve completed, a bizarre real life problem or solution certainly helps. Make sure you do not try too hard, diversity statements are particularly easy to dismiss as ineffective due to its forced nature.

Take something that makes you unique, but is applicable to your study of law...you should be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”