Disciplinary disclosure. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JerrySeinfeld

Bronze

Disciplinary disclosure.

Post by JerrySeinfeld » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm

This may be a pointless question, but I still feel like I need to ask it.

The first week of my freshman year, my resident assistant "wrote me up" for a noise compliant. Literally we were too loud and didn't quiet down after a warning. I had to meet with the hall director and write an apology letter to the RA. It was extraordinarily minor.

Most applications state, "Have you ever been subject to disciplinary sanctions"

Do I say yes or do I say no, considering how absolutely ridiculous my "write up" was?

username99

Bronze

Re: Disciplinary disclosure.

Post by username99 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:33 pm

I hate this bullshit. I have to do the same for a speeding ticket for some schools. Such minor, stupid offenses (yours obviously more-so than mine). I'd write it - what do you have to lose? Perhaps it's a gift - one additional addendum to show the schools that you can write. Just be brief, explain what it was and mention that it was your only offense for anything. Maybe even be self-deprecating ("While it pains me to have to check the box next to disciplinary infractions, I feel compelled to disclose the most minor of offenses"-

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:47 pm

If I were you, I would call your school anonymously and ask if, with respect to law school applications, your situation is considered a "disciplinary sanction".

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:49 pm

IANAL, but this is not a disciplinary sanction handed out by Judicial Affairs. I don't expect the state bar to track down your RA for C&F.

novab

New

Post by novab » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 pm

I just asked this question on a different post yesterday. I had two fines (one alcohol violation and one fire code violation) and was unsure if this was "disciplinary action" and was told by one of the attorneys I work for to call the student affairs office at my school and have them pull up my file and ask them if I had ever been subject to disciplinary action.

I did this and at my school, they only consider "disciplinary action" to be when you have specific privileges taken away or if you are put on probation, suspended, or if you are fined with regards to being arrested. So my two "violations" did not constitute "disciplinary action" and that they would never be disclosed to anyone who requested. I asked about law schools and the bar and she said its not disciplinary action, so it would not be released.

I assume that each school is different so I would just call your school. I don't see why you would have to call anonymously - who cares? its your student record, its not like they are going to change it because you called to ask about it. The lady I spoke with said that she gets many calls like mine each day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:08 pm

I doubt there is a record of that write-up anywhere.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:11 pm

novab wrote:I just asked this question on a different post yesterday. I had two fines (one alcohol violation and one fire code violation) and was unsure if this was "disciplinary action" and was told by one of the attorneys I work for to call the student affairs office at my school and have them pull up my file and ask them if I had ever been subject to disciplinary action.

I did this and at my school, they only consider "disciplinary action" to be when you have specific privileges taken away or if you are put on probation, suspended, or if you are fined with regards to being arrested. So my two "violations" did not constitute "disciplinary action" and that they would never be disclosed to anyone who requested. I asked about law schools and the bar and she said its not disciplinary action, so it would not be released.

I assume that each school is different so I would just call your school. I don't see why you would have to call anonymously - who cares? its your student record, its not like they are going to change it because you called to ask about it. The lady I spoke with said that she gets many calls like mine each day.
I think the very fact that every school is different is an argument for disclosing it. IT'S A NOISE VIOLATION!!! No one will care! Why not just write 100 words? "Early in my freshman year of college, I was written up for a noise violation by my Resident Assistant. No further disciplinary action was taken and my record has been clear since. I look forward to attending blah blah law school and hope to have a noise-free tenure there."

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 pm

username99 wrote:
I think the very fact that every school is different is an argument for disclosing it. IT'S A NOISE VIOLATION!!! No one will care! Why not just write 100 words? "Early in my freshman year of college, I was written up for a noise violation by my Resident Assistant. No further disciplinary action was taken and my record has been clear since. I look forward to attending blah blah law school and hope to have a noise-free tenure there."
The fact that every school is different is an argument for ASKING YOUR SCHOOL. Advising someone to disclose something that may be irrelevant is bad advice plain and simple. A 2-minute phone call is all it would take.

etown989

Bronze

Post by etown989 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm

I think the very fact that every school is different is an argument for disclosing it. IT'S A NOISE VIOLATION!!! No one will care! Why not just write 100 words? "Early in my freshman year of college, I was written up for a noise violation by my Resident Assistant. No further disciplinary action was taken and my record has been clear since. I look forward to attending blah blah law school and hope to have a noise-free tenure there."[/quote]

lol this made me actually laugh out loud

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”