would it be wise...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pattymac

would it be wise...

Postby pattymac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:10 am

Hey guys,
Would it be wise to go into a JD/MBA program on a part-time basis? I think I can swing a nearby TTT paying $15,000 a year and go through the whole summer while living at home. I can almost pay that out of pocket. That would also be without any scholarship $.

My end goal is to work for a corporation, on any level. I have no background in business, but I'm a bit of an autodidact and have a genuine interest in it.

I'm hoping that if I don't use the JD right away given the current legal market, I'll be able to land some sort of job with the MBA until the job market gets better (if that happens). Is this feasible, given the economy, or are MBA grads struggling just as hard for employment? FWIW, the TTT is Wayne State U, in Detroit, Michigan...I'd be competeing with University of Detroit Mercy and Cooley grads.

OmbreGracieuse

Re: would it be wise...

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:32 pm

I think if you can do it, go for it. I have a friend with an MBA, and he claims it is recession proof. He makes a decent amount of money, too (he works for a bank). I think, genuinely, if you can do it feasibly then go for it!

Good luck. :)

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:45 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I think if you can do it, go for it. I have a friend with an MBA, and he claims it is recession proof. He makes a decent amount of money, too (he works for a bank). I think, genuinely, if you can do it feasibly then go for it!

Good luck. :)

This is not true. There are many out of work MBA graduates (http://www.thereformedbroker.com/2010/10/05/unemployed-mba-students-by-college/). While a couple years ago, it was common to get an MBA after a couple years as an analyst to move up the ranks, many of my friends in finance are now finding it beneficial to move up without the MBA. The rationale is that it is easier to stay and move up than leave for two years. I don't have data to support whether or not that theory has merit, but it is a popular sentiment out there.

Mainly, though, this is not such a great idea because most holders of MBAs have work experience prior to getting their MBAs.
I work for a Fortune 500, and while an MBA is considered an asset here, I don't think it would mean much without the experience behind it. As it is, most "entry level" positions here are filled by people who already have legitimate work experience.
If you want to break into business, take some undergraduate level business classes at night. Why at night? Because those professors typically have day jobs. And professors with day jobs are good networking contacts. Get your fundamentals, network to get an entry level job, and then if you decide you want your MBA after that to get ahead, get one. But getting an MBA before getting experience is probably not really going to help you get a job and may hinder you by making you "over qualified" for the entry level positions.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks for your input guys. As an international, it is really helpful.

I have a cousin who works in New York who says he's only hiring candidates with an MBA. I figure worst case scenario, he might be able to help me out in a pinch. I've got no debt out of UG and I'm definitely not crackin' the t14 just yet. I've also (and very fortunately) got the financial backing of my parents (ie. they're not going to watch me starve to death).

I've got a little bit of work experience (worked for a corporation during undergrad...60+ hour weeks).

I guess I'll start looking at the GMAT stuff.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”