Honor Societies as Softs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
admisionquestion

Honor Societies as Softs

Postby admisionquestion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:56 am

Are ODK, PKP, PBK worth much as softs? Can you try to back up your answer with some experience or other evidence.

Veyron

Re: Honor Societies as Softs

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:10 am

admisionquestion wrote:Are ODK, PKP, PBK worth much as softs? Can you try to back up your answer with some experience or other evidence.

Lol, wut?

I hear the LSAT honors society is worth something.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 am

Not really.

The criteria to get into a given honors society is to have a high GPA which most law school applicants do regardless. You aren't differentiating yourself from anyone by being in one. Plus most of them are like any standard extracurricular. They might meet once every week or two, have an occasional event and token fundraiser, and recruit once a year, but you aren't doing anything particularly work changing or tangible like someone in the army, peace corp, teach for america, etc.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 am

45.240434% of people who applied to law school who were in pbk were admitted.

This information is available because people care enough compile these kinds of statistics.

If that doesn't convince you, everybody that I know who was in pbk who applied to law school got into one of HYSCCN.
Everybody I know who wasn't didn't get into any of those.

End of discussion.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am

admisionquestion wrote:Are ODK, PKP, PBK worth much as softs? Can you try to back up your answer with some experience or other evidence.

Too many people can get into Honor Societies to make it a valuable soft. Lots and lots and lots of applicants will have some kind of honor society or similar group on their resumes, so don't expect it to mean anything, especially since it should already be reflected by your GPA, which will count.

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 am

Well, you are all saying what I expected so thats good. My only question would be, if everyone has them than wouldnt not having them be a minor negative mark?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:17 am

admisionquestion wrote:Well, you are all saying what I expected so thats good. My only question would be, if everyone has them than wouldnt not having them be a minor negative mark?

If you had two people who had the same stats (LSAT, GPA), I doubt they would really care that much if one candidate didn't bother to join the club. It's the GPA they care about.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:26 pm

admisionquestion wrote:Well, you are all saying what I expected so thats good. My only question would be, if everyone has them than wouldnt not having them be a minor negative mark?

The only difference between an applicant who is in one and one who is not is that the one who joined was willing to pay the membership fees.

Pretty much everyone you are competing against was eligible for the same ones you were and law schools don't care who shells out 75 bucks or whatever a given one charges you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Just suaytp honors society and join phi beta 99%. Honestly, if you had spent the time you wasted on this thread on this thread studying for the LSAT, it would have given you more of a boost than an "honors" society.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:37 pm

It doesn't to hurt to list them if you have space. If you held an office in your local honor society that distinguished you from the rank and file members, then it might be a very, very tiny boost against people with the exact same LSAT/GPA.

For what it's worth, I was president of both the history and poli sci honor societies and my cycle performance was better than LSN or TLS predicted. Should I attribute that success to my personal statement or other softs? I don't know, probably the former.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 pm

JOThompson wrote:It doesn't to hurt to list them if you have space. If you held an office in your local honor society that distinguished you from the rank and file members, then it might be a very, very tiny boost against people with the exact same LSAT/GPA.

For what it's worth, I was president of both the history and poli sci honor societies and my cycle performance was better than LSN or TLS predicted. Should I attribute that success to my personal statement or other softs? I don't know, probably the former.

Realistically, it's a combination of both.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:40 pm

I didn't even get graduation honors because I was a transfer student. I don't expect anyone to hold that over me. It's nice to list all the honor societies but it isn't going to out perform your GPA like other said.

albusdumbledore

Postby albusdumbledore » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 pm

PBK is legit. Mostly because you don't join, you get selected. I even had a couple of grad apps have a specific check box for PBK.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:56 pm

albusdumbledore wrote:PBK is legit. Mostly because you don't join, you get selected. I even had a couple of grad apps have a specific check box for PBK.

Link to the T-14 that asks about PBK, oh waaaaaait. Enjoy your MFA, gtfo, this is TLS.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
albusdumbledore wrote:PBK is legit. Mostly because you don't join, you get selected. I even had a couple of grad apps have a specific check box for PBK.

Link to the T-14 that asks about PBK, oh waaaaaait. Enjoy your MFA, gtfo, this is TLS.

I wish you would talk like this in person, then it'd actually be cool.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I do talk like this in person. If you get into Penn, it will be pretty easy to figure out who I am.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I do talk like this in person. If you get into Penn, it will be pretty easy to figure out who I am.

Then we'd hang out, cuz that's how I talk in person :lol: I look forward to it.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 pm

If it is an honor society that you are ACTUALLY selected for(I mean you apply not you get a gold star in the mail) that is more than GPA, go for it if you have the cash. If it is just GPA, if you don't have the money, it isn't really that exclusive don't worry about it. List it if you have it, but if you don't have it, don't worry about it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”