Letter to BC dean by 3L student.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paratactical

Re: Letter to BC dean by 3L student.

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
paratactical wrote:Still has not addressed the Keanu thing.

That I stand by with no qualifications. I think he's just awkward enough to pull it off. But that movie is going to go one of two ways: really good or really horrible. Im just praying it doesnt turn out like "Mortal Kombat" :shock:

He's exactly the opposite of everything Spike is. I won't even be giving it a viewing. I made the right decision with the last Indiana Jones movie, and I'm doing it for this one, too. I am not looking forward to the bandwagoneers.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 pm

paratactical wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
paratactical wrote:Still has not addressed the Keanu thing.

That I stand by with no qualifications. I think he's just awkward enough to pull it off. But that movie is going to go one of two ways: really good or really horrible. Im just praying it doesnt turn out like "Mortal Kombat" :shock:

He's exactly the opposite of everything Spike is. I won't even be giving it a viewing. I made the right decision with the last Indiana Jones movie, and I'm doing it for this one, too. I am not looking forward to the bandwagoneers.

THAT we can agree on. My biggest fear is they are going to lose the soul of the series to try to appease the casual moviegoer. Cowboy Bebop is, IMHO, the best anime ever to come out. If they ruin it I'll be beside myself with grief, lol

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:THAT we can agree on. My biggest fear is they are going to lose the soul of the series to try to appease the casual moviegoer. Cowboy Bebop is, IMHO, the best anime ever to come out. If they ruin it I'll be beside myself with grief, lol

I dunno if Bebop is my favorite. I might have to go with Serial Experiments Lain.

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:33 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:1st of all my GPA is low because both I and my mother faced serious illnesses my first few years of college. Not that it is any of your business, but I would make sure I know what Im taking about before I start shooting off at the mouth.

Secondly, I have already worked in investment banking in undergrad. I received an offer from both my old IB internship and my more recent gov't contracting gigs. Again, know what you're talking about before you start shooting off.

I'm not here making fun of you or thinking of reasons why you have a low gpa but the fact is that you do. And if you have two offers for jobs that are going to actually pay you money why are you not working for three years and applying to law schools with a 2.4? That doesn't even make sense with a full ride.

cbq

Postby cbq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 pm

quit whining... it took him 3 yrs to figure this out?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Shit with IBR, he only has to pay 15% of his teacher salary for ten years and his debt is wiped, as long as he works at a public school. 15% retard tax is fair IMO.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:59 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:1st of all my GPA is low because both I and my mother faced serious illnesses my first few years of college. Not that it is any of your business, but I would make sure I know what Im taking about before I start shooting off at the mouth.

Secondly, I have already worked in investment banking in undergrad. I received an offer from both my old IB internship and my more recent gov't contracting gigs. Again, know what you're talking about before you start shooting off.

I'm not here making fun of you or thinking of reasons why you have a low gpa but the fact is that you do. And if you have two offers for jobs that are going to actually pay you money why are you not working for three years and applying to law schools with a 2.4? That doesn't even make sense with a full ride.

Because Im the type that if I dont keep going with school Im not going to go back. My GPA cant be helped at this point. But what I can do is apply with a good LSAT and hope for the best. Banking and govt contracting do not appeal to me like a career in law does. I CAN do it if there is nothing else out there, but I would prefer something else. My educational goals do not end with a BBA. I knew I wanted to go to grad school right after undergrad, and I marked an MBA off of the list a long time ago.

Getting a JD is not just a way for me to get money. I'm sure I can get money without a law degree. But I cant be a lawyer without one, and thats what I want the most. Even if I end up making less as a lawyer than I would otherwise, to me its worth it. My reasons are my own, so thats neither here nor there. Im willing to put in 3 years and take on the risk and hope that it pays off. And no post about how terrible the job market looks now is going to derail that.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:

Because Im the type that if I dont keep going with school Im not going to go back.

I think that is a good sign that you shouldn't be going in the first place.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:

Because Im the type that if I dont keep going with school Im not going to go back.

I think that is a good sign that you shouldn't be going in the first place.

What does that matter? Im going now. I know that if I stop school, Im going to get caught up in the many other distractions in life and will be much less likely to go later. I know it'll be MUCH more difficult to go to law school at 26-27 after Im married, in a career, had a kid or two, etc. I may as well go now while Im still young, unattached, and have relatively few responsibilities. And I surely dont want to start a career just to interrupt it later and start a new one.

No thanks. I'll do it now while my life is simpler.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:56 am

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:11 am

Good thing I'm Black and will be going to school for free.

:D

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 am

Desert Fox wrote:Shit with IBR, he only has to pay 15% of his teacher salary for ten years and his debt is wiped, as long as he works at a public school. 15% retard tax is fair IMO.

Actually, the IBR payments are even lower than that: 15% of the amount exceeding 150% poverty rate for your household size ($22k for 2, $27k for 3, $33k for 4, etc), so the "retard tax" comes out to 5-7% for a teacher making $50k with a family size of 3-4.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 am

I have never experienced more people telling me what a bad idea law school is except for those that have been attorneys for some time and some currently in law school. As soon as they heard "law school" I was bombarded with "it's horrible out there,"
"they make you work brutal hours," and "I would discourage anyone from going to law school."

I have never encountered a profession/education where so many fucking people seem invested in telling me NOT to do it--after, of course--they've gone ahead and done it. I feel, and I could be completely wrong, more and more that in spite of the realities of the economy, most of these people are more invested in keeping the competition down or in keeping themselves above the riff raff by earning an advanced degree not everyone can have or afford. Paranoid? Maybe. But it seems to be my experience.

Now, one of these is in BigLaw and he works hard, but not that hard. Some nights until 9, some weekends. But hardly slave labor. I worked retail. More hellish hours, much less pay. I've worked 70 hours a week including overnights for the pleasure of a $250 paycheck. Bring on 70-80 hours with better pay. I can work. Hard. Another is a lawyer married to a lawyer. They own four homes, do fine for themselves--make lots of money, work hard, have nice things. And the last one is a prosecutor, making decent money. Yet they ALL spend their time with me telling me what a terrible, awful idea it is to go to law school. In the back of my mind I always wonder why the fuck they're so damn invested. They didn't give a shit when I was getting a worthless liberal arts degree.

I'm not sure what the aim or purpose is in so many so vocally denouncing an education in law as a waste. 90% of degrees are a waste. I didn't realize the market for psychology B.A. graduates, or Women's Studies graduates, or even worthwhile degrees like Accounting are busting at the seams with jobs as compared to law!

IMO, it's bad EVERYWHERE, in EVERY industry. It's not easy to get a job at a (unionized) factory, or at the local plant. It's not easy to get a job in retail. Or in fabled medicine. Do you know how many hospitals have closed? They are experiencing a glut of overqualified nurses, doctors, and medical staff. Every position listed gets dozens, if not hundreds of resumes.

Any post-graduate degree comes with financial risk. Law is no different. To me? I'm just glad I was so poor for so long. Even if I end up 200K in debt and have to work as waiter again and live in a tiny apartment, ain't no thang. I can handle it.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:37 am

Sinra wrote: I worked retail. More hellish hours, much less pay. I've worked 70 hours a week including overnights for the pleasure of a $250 paycheck.

Damn bro you're pulling down like $3.60 an hour, do sweep the stockroom at the Mexico City Walmart or something?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:39 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Sinra wrote: I worked retail. More hellish hours, much less pay. I've worked 70 hours a week including overnights for the pleasure of a $250 paycheck.

Damn bro you're pulling down like $3.60 an hour, do sweep the stockroom at the Mexico City Walmart or something?

Actually $2.94 an hour, since any hours worked over 40 count as OT, but yeah. :?

Working at minimum wage for 70 hours a week for 50 weeks actually ends up earning $30,800 a year, which is a decent fraction of small-law pay.

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:52 am

D. H2Oman wrote:

LOL. That was net pay after they took out taxes and health insurance. Also, about 15 years ago. I got paid ~$5 an hour for the pleasure of retail life. And our weeks were structured strangely so that usually they could get away with you working just above 40 hours in a "work week" but you actually had no days off and worked straight through for several days--this avoided having to pay OT.

MTal

Postby MTal » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 am

kk19131 wrote:Good thing I'm Black and will be going to school for free.

Good thing I'm Jewish.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:39 am

MTal wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Good thing I'm Black and will be going to school for free.

Good thing I'm Jewish.

... so you can run the media and the banks?

AnthonyNicator

Postby AnthonyNicator » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:50 pm

elmo with his non-pcness. i still think the most entertaining part of this thread was nightrunner part. lol. besdies who gives a fuck what people on TLS think, they're obviously not fucking omnipotent or know shit, otherwise they'd be out making money with that knowledge instead of pontificating on a website.

+1 to Sinra.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:02 pm

In all seriousness and getting back to the meat of this thread, Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel would be a fucking disaster.

Chris_cpb

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:11 pm

AnthonyNicator wrote:elmo with his non-pcness. i still think the most entertaining part of this thread was nightrunner part. lol. besdies who gives a fuck what people on TLS think, they're obviously not fucking omnipotent or know shit, otherwise they'd be out making money with that knowledge instead of pontificating on a website.

+1 to Sinra.

I'll bet some of them know what they're talking about.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 pm

In summary... guy does not have a job lined up at the start of 2nd semester in 3L, so he wants a refund? Perhaps he just has no patience or to high of standards for a job offer.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Nightrunner wrote:IBR-lovers might want to research "debt to income ratio," and then imagine buying a home or a car (or, honestly, damn near anything) with that floating over your head for 25 years.

I don't think he's gonna be able to buy a house on a teacher's salary in Boston....

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 am

motiontodismiss wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:IBR-lovers might want to research "debt to income ratio," and then imagine buying a home or a car (or, honestly, damn near anything) with that floating over your head for 25 years.

I don't think he's gonna be able to buy a house on a teacher's salary in Boston....

He could in Murderpan or Stabnkill.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:18 am

A student at my law school (Penn State) just forwarded a link to an ABC news story about this to the entire law school forum. He simply stated, "this might be a bandwagon worth jumping on." I wouldn't be surprised if this kid loses his email privileges after flooding everyone's inbox with this garbage.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”