Letter to BC dean by 3L student. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Re: Letter to BC dean by 3L student.

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:26 pm

bostlaw wrote:I know the economy is in the dumps, but is it really this bad? Not going to base the decesion of 3 yrs of my life off of one letter, but it does make me worry a bit. I really would like to go to BC, but this letter makes it seem like its impossible to get a job. Whats the truth?
it's that bad.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:26 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
You are assuming that I will be taking on 100K in debt, while I have no intention of doing anything of the sort. And yes, I AM willing to gamble 3 years of my life. If it pays off, the rewards will be well worth it. Im a finance major, so WORST case scenario I go to work for some investment bank like I had planned before I decided to go to law school. I know all about risk analysis, and Im used to trying to time the market. Its a choice I made a long time ago, and its a choice Im going to stick to.

If you are so adverse to going to law school and taking that chance, Im wondering why you are on a site for people thinking about/attending law school in the first place. You dont seem to keen on the idea.

jajajajajjajaja... is this a flame???

Ok let's put it this way... if you cannot get biglaw or biggov, you will not be able to get ibanking. None will want your below median grades at (insert t14) or top 1/3 or worse T50 grades....

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

It's definitely not that bad here. We need more info-- class rank, personality, etc

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

bostlaw wrote:I know the economy is in the dumps, but is it really this bad? Not going to base the decesion of 3 yrs of my life off of one letter, but it does make me worry a bit. I really would like to go to BC, but this letter makes it seem like its impossible to get a job. Whats the truth?
Not impossible -but really not good.
BU at least, this year bigfirm-wise boils down to having to be in the top 1/3rd to be considered anywhere (if not top 1/3rd you will likely only get like 1-4 screening interviews from the lottery).
After that, Top 10-20% + journal for Boston firm (anywhere from foley hoag to Ropes will require some solid grades), or
Top 15-20% for NYC (NYC firms class sizes are much larger).
This is pure conjecture, as their are people that are outside of top 1/3rd at BU with big firm jobs and people on LR without.
DO NOT bank on getting into Boston firms though - solid ties + solid grades + luck is the only way to get into the tiny Boston firm class sizes. Those outside of the top of the class had better luck with NYC (I know people outside top 1/3rd who were lucky enough to get a NYC v100 offer).
Some people at BU even got DC biglaw (weird, I know).

Moral of the story - Top 20% likely for biglaw if you cast a wide-enough net. If you focus on Boston, much more random as LR people got shut out (maybe due to lack of ties) and some of those near median pulled non-vault market-rate firms. Those who raked in Boston offers were the top of the class with ties.

Take it as you want, but I'm top 40% (approx) on LR and will be working at a V25 this summer in Boston.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

Not saying its easy, and admiting I dont know how bad it is myself (hence why im asking) but just find it hard to believe that so many ppl would continue going to law school every yr if the job prospects were that horrible, but maybe im mistaken. I look at it like UG, tons of kids that go, some put in the time and get jobs, some float through expecting a degree to get them a job and end up being screwed aftr 4 yrs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:32 pm

djjf39 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:Whats the truth?
The only truth is there is no Truth.
Are you saying it's true that there's no truth?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
BU at least, this year bigfirm-wise boils down to having to be in the top 1/3rd to be considered anywhere (if not top 1/3rd you will likely only get like 1-4 screening interviews from the lottery).
After that, Top 10-20% + journal for Boston firm (anywhere from Foley Hoag to Ropes will require some solid grades), or
This is pure conjecture, as their are people that are outside of top 1/3rd at BU with big firm jobs and people on LR without.
DO NOT bank on getting into Boston firms though - solid ties + solid grades + luck is the only way to get into the tiny Boston firm class sizes. Those outside of the top of the class had better luck with NYC (I know people outside top 1/3rd who were lucky enough to get a NYC v100 offer).

Moral of the story - Top 20% likely for biglaw if you cast a wide-enough net. If you focus on Boston, much more random as LR people got shut out (maybe due to lack of ties) and some of those near median pulled non-vault market-rate firms. Those who raked in Boston offers were the top of the class with ties.

Take it as you want, but I'm top 40% (approx) on LR and will be working at a V25 this summer in Boston.
Top 20% at BU for biglaw ITE is not bad at all, considering the lower T14 is placing about 40-50%.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
After that, Top 10-20% + journal for Boston firm (anywhere from Foley Hoag to Ropes will require some solid grades), or

thanks for the breakdown. Sounds like its just about busting your butt if you expect anything out of it, which is what I was thinking was the deal all along.

bostlaw

Bronze

Post by bostlaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:35 pm

MTal wrote:
djjf39 wrote:
bostlaw wrote:Whats the truth?
The only truth is there is no Truth.
Are you saying it's true that there's no truth?
true that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Dude and dudets it is bad everywhere. I know many dentist in Cali right now are working as hygienist. Big four accounting firms are still laying off in waves. This is a recession the worst recession America has ever seen. Though not a depression I hope. Every career is hurting right now. PS they are also laying off teachers anything in government is about to be on the chopping block if GOP takes congress its going to be McCarthyism all over again.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:44 pm

thexfactor wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
You are assuming that I will be taking on 100K in debt, while I have no intention of doing anything of the sort. And yes, I AM willing to gamble 3 years of my life. If it pays off, the rewards will be well worth it. Im a finance major, so WORST case scenario I go to work for some investment bank like I had planned before I decided to go to law school. I know all about risk analysis, and Im used to trying to time the market. Its a choice I made a long time ago, and its a choice Im going to stick to.

If you are so adverse to going to law school and taking that chance, Im wondering why you are on a site for people thinking about/attending law school in the first place. You dont seem to keen on the idea.

Ok let's put it this way... if you cannot get biglaw or biggov, you will not be able to get ibanking. None will want your below median grades at (insert t14) or top 1/3 or worse T50 grades....
She's also said that she thinks Keanu Reeves will be a good Spike Spiegel.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:49 pm

paratactical wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Just looking at your posts you say you have a sub 2.5 gpa from undergrad. I'm sure JP Morgan is counting down the days until you graduate from law school with all of those great legal skills you're going to acquire.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:51 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
paratactical wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Just looking at your posts you say you have a sub 2.5 gpa from undergrad. I'm sure JP Morgan is counting down the days until you graduate from law school with all of those great legal skills you're going to acquire.
Ruh-roh.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

paratactical wrote:I think the solution is clear.

--ImageRemoved--
I hope you mean he should Falcon Punch his wife in the stomach to abort the baby because that's what I'd do.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote: Just looking at your posts you say you have a sub 2.5 gpa from undergrad. I'm sure JP Morgan is counting down the days until you graduate from law school with all of those great legal skills you're going to acquire.
LOLwut? Um, no, I do not have a sub 2.5 GPA from my UG. I'm quite confused as to how you got that idea.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm

In one sentence he says he will be unemployed and the other he says he will go back to his old job teaching. Has the letter writer ever heard of IBR? Teaching qualifies as public service and the debt would be wiped out after 10 years.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 pm

Tiva wrote:In one sentence he says he will be unemployed and the other he says he will go back to his old job teaching. Has the letter writer ever heard of IBR? Teaching qualifies as public service and the debt would be wiped out after 10 years.
+1. Any gov't job qualifies for IBR, including teacher or even DMV.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Nightrunner wrote:IBR-lovers might want to research "debt to income ratio," and then imagine buying a home or a car (or, honestly, damn near anything) with that floating over your head for 25 years.
PI jobs forgive loans in 10 years, during which one could rent a house and buy used cars in cash. Sure, anyone in that situation shouldn't have gone to law school at all, but it's a path to eliminating that soul-crushing debt.
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 pm

paratactical wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote: Just looking at your posts you say you have a sub 2.5 gpa from undergrad. I'm sure JP Morgan is counting down the days until you graduate from law school with all of those great legal skills you're going to acquire.
LOLwut? Um, no, I do not have a sub 2.5 GPA from my UG. I'm quite confused as to how you got that idea.
Not you. The poster who plans on going to i-banking if the lawyer route doesn't work out.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 pm

im_blue wrote: +1. Current 0Ls will be doing OCI in Fall 2012, less than 2 years from now.
Do not understand how so many fail to grasp that point. Assuming you're hoping for a job out of OCI, you should care about 2012 market much more so than you should be thinking of 2014.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Not you. The poster who plans on going to i-banking if the lawyer route doesn't work out.
You gotta work on your quote feature use, duderino. It gets confusing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:50 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
paratactical wrote:
thexfactor wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

1st of all my GPA is low because both I and my mother faced serious illnesses my first few years of college. Not that it is any of your business, but I would make sure I know what Im taking about before I start shooting off at the mouth.

Secondly, I have already worked in investment banking in undergrad. I received an offer from both my old IB internship and my more recent gov't contracting gigs. Again, know what you're talking about before you start shooting off.

djjf39

Bronze

Post by djjf39 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote: Again, know what you're talking about before you start shooting off.
Or Bieber will smash you

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:00 pm

Still has not addressed the Keanu thing.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:03 pm

paratactical wrote:Still has not addressed the Keanu thing.
That I stand by with no qualifications. I think he's just awkward enough to pull it off. But that movie is going to go one of two ways: really good or really horrible. Im just praying it doesnt turn out like "Mortal Kombat" :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”