Work experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
predent/prelaw

Work experience

Postby predent/prelaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 am

Does working as a talent manager at a talent management company in Manhattan for 2 years work for work experience to Northwestern? I am told I would get an awesome LOR from my ex-boss there.

Lwoods

Re: Work experience

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:34 am

predent/prelaw wrote:Does working as a talent manager at a talent management company in Manhattan for 2 years work for work experience to Northwestern? I am told I would get an awesome LOR from my ex-boss there.

Was it after college? If so, yes.

Just out of curiosity, what type of talent did you manage?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:40 am

Two years is substantial enough to apply IMO.

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:44 am

Lwoods wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:Does working as a talent manager at a talent management company in Manhattan for 2 years work for work experience to Northwestern? I am told I would get an awesome LOR from my ex-boss there.

Ahhh well it was kinda in the middle of college I took two years off. The company managed mainly models in LA NYC and Toronto. Some talent in music industry like Danity Kane (only famous one I knew the rest I had never heard of) and a few soap talent and lots of kid talent from Disney contracts, to soaps as well.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:51 am

predent/prelaw wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

Ahhh well it was kinda in the middle of college I took two years off. The company managed mainly models in LA NYC and Toronto. Some talent in music industry like Danity Kane (only famous one I knew the rest I had never heard of) and a few soap talent and lots of kid talent from Disney contracts, to soaps as well.

I think since you weren't in school, it's worth a shot. You might want to call the admissions office directly just to see how they would want it stated on your application.

That's quite a range of talent, but I suppose that's the big difference between managers and agents. I interned for a talent agency in college before exploring the production side, but we handled actors exclusively (for the type of work NY actors get, primarily theatre and television... yes, I made quite a few submission trips to Law & Order's Chelsea studio, haha).

predent/prelaw

Postby predent/prelaw » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:58 am

Lwoods wrote:
predent/prelaw wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

I think since you weren't in school, it's worth a shot. You might want to call the admissions office directly just to see how they would want it stated on your application.

That's quite a range of talent, but I suppose that's the big difference between managers and agents. I interned for a talent agency in college before exploring the production side, but we handled actors exclusively (for the type of work NY actors get, primarily theatre and television... yes, I made quite a few submission trips to Law & Order's Chelsea studio, haha).

I will call, but yea they sent packages to Broadway but most bookings were kids as well. The company was no William Morris it was more of an old Jewish man with a dream and I hope he goes far.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am

I worked for 10+ years before finishing college and receiving the diploma. May be a bit extreme, but yes it counts. The only things that don't count are internships, co-op and summer jobs. If you going to college has nothing to do with your job (meaning, you'd have the job regardless of school), then it's actual work experience.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”