why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
2010trojan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 pm

why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby 2010trojan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:25 am

On the FAQ it says to:

Help! One of my professors suddenly backed out/hasn't been responding to me/etc. What should I do for the LOR now?
Figure out a backup professor--same guidelines for when you first selected it. Contact them ASAP and give them 3-4 weeks to do it. I personally wouldn't explain why you're asking so late. Just ask and give them time and don't pressure. You'll take a little bit of a timeliness hit, but whatever. To speed it up, have them fax (it works, many on here will vouch for that). Also, if you can't get to them physically, print out a form, sign it, scan it, convert it to a pdf (maybe websites will let you do this, just google "jpg to pdf converter" or whatever), and send in e-mail.

Why do I have to convert it? Can't the professor just use the JPG?

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:44 am

2010trojan wrote:On the FAQ it says to:

Help! One of my professors suddenly backed out/hasn't been responding to me/etc. What should I do for the LOR now?
Figure out a backup professor--same guidelines for when you first selected it. Contact them ASAP and give them 3-4 weeks to do it. I personally wouldn't explain why you're asking so late. Just ask and give them time and don't pressure. You'll take a little bit of a timeliness hit, but whatever. To speed it up, have them fax (it works, many on here will vouch for that). Also, if you can't get to them physically, print out a form, sign it, scan it, convert it to a pdf (maybe websites will let you do this, just google "jpg to pdf converter" or whatever), and send in e-mail.

Why do I have to convert it? Can't the professor just use the JPG?

WTF happened in here?

User avatar
2010trojan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby 2010trojan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:48 am

? I thought the question was clear. I just want to know why it says to scan it, then convert it to a pdf file before sending it to the prof for him/her to print it out.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:55 am

2010trojan wrote:? I thought the question was clear. I just want to know why it says to scan it, then convert it to a pdf file before sending it to the prof for him/her to print it out.

I've never heard of them accepting email.

edit: fax is your best bet.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby kazu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:00 am

OP is asking how he can get the LOR form to his writer electronically, not how to submit the LOR to LSAC. (I admit I had to read the OP a couple of times before this was clear)



OP, I think it's to ensure that when it's printed out it'll be in the letter-sized format it's supposed to be in.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:05 am

2010trojan wrote:Why do I have to convert it? Can't the professor just use the JPG?

PDF ensures that the JPG is formatted correctly in the right size on a single page. Printing a JPG file can lead to all kinds of trouble due to centering, zooming, printer margins, the application linked to JPG files on the computer, etc.

User avatar
2010trojan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby 2010trojan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:44 pm

aha, thanks, that clears it up. It says you can find one easily by just googling jpg to pdf, but I'm having trouble finding one that actually works. The scanner scanned it as a HUUUUGE picture, so when I change it to a pdf, it changes it into a pdf of several pages, by dividing the huge pdf into several pictures.... can anyone with experience with this recommend a program or website that worked for them?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Can you rescan it as a document to a PDF file rather than JPG? Every scanner software I've seen has that option for documents.

There are some freeware print-to-PDF apps out there, such as PrimoPDF. Anything you can print, you can print to a PDF file.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: why convert the jpg to pdf for LORs?

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:58 pm

2010trojan wrote:aha, thanks, that clears it up. It says you can find one easily by just googling jpg to pdf, but I'm having trouble finding one that actually works. The scanner scanned it as a HUUUUGE picture, so when I change it to a pdf, it changes it into a pdf of several pages, by dividing the huge pdf into several pictures.... can anyone with experience with this recommend a program or website that worked for them?

My scanner has an option to scan in as as a PDF. Perhaps try that?

Post up the model of your scanner and I will take a look.

Haven't use this, but I just searched google and it popped up: http://www.jpegtopdf.com/




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thewanderer, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest