Northwestern and Work Experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
im_blue

Re: Northwestern and Work Experience

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

CastleRock wrote:
im_blue wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
im_blue wrote:98% of the NU class has 1+ years of full-time post-graduate WE, so that's about 5-6 people who don't.

Here's something to consider. NUs application asks how many years of WE the applicant has and doesn't have a place to put zero. The lowest you can put is 1 year and it tells you to round. I would say this potentially skews the stats.

I'm looking at the NU app and the choices are 0, 1, 2, ..., 30.

Meh, I swear it didn't when they opened the application up initially. Fair enough.

Yeah, I'd say NU hasn't been on the ball with their app forms, with the whole confusion over the CPE / LOR forms and where to send them.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:50 pm

im_blue wrote:CPE / LOR forms and where to send them.

What was up with the whole LOR form thing. I just sent LORs in like every other school because I decided I didn't care. But what did they actually want?

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:53 pm

I just looked at NU Law's website re: off-campus interviews. Unfortunately, they don't offer any in my metro area (500,000+ people here, too...)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 pm

AJD requires the CPE and not LOR. RD I think it's either/or.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 pm

atresia wrote:I just looked at NU Law's website re: off-campus interviews. Unfortunately, they don't offer any in my metro area (500,000+ people here, too...)

It's possible all the interview slots in your area have been filled.
All of the cities in which off-campus interviews are still available are listed on the drop-down menu. As interview sites become full, those locations are removed from the list. Therefore, it is to your advantage to request an interview location early. If a city is not listed, there are no longer any interviews available in that location.
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/ADM_OCInterview_Preentry.cfm#form

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:59 pm

CastleRock wrote:

What was up with the whole LOR form thing. I just sent LORs in like every other school because I decided I didn't care. But what did they actually want?

New rules this year: LORs are not accepted (even though LSAC sends them). CPE forms are optional and to be submitted by mail to NU. The confusion was that NU initially said to send CPE forms to LSAC as a LOR, and LSAC rejected them.

I'm not going to send any CPEs, so I'm still deciding whether to just send LORs but potentially look bad for not following directions.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm

r6_philly wrote:AJD requires the CPE and not LOR. RD I think it's either/or.

When I called the admissions office, I was told that neither are required but CPE is preferred.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 pm

im_blue wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

New rules this year: LORs are not accepted (even though LSAC sends them). CPE forms are optional and to be submitted by mail to NU. The confusion was that NU initially said to send CPE forms to LSAC as a LOR, and LSAC rejected them.

I'm not going to send any CPEs, so I'm still deciding whether to just send LORs but potentially look bad for not following directions.

Dean said she will look at them at the interview.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
im_blue wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Dean said she will look at them at the interview.

So LSAC sends LORs to NU, who does not accept them, but will still look at them. I think that's crystal clear now! :)

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:It's possible all the interview slots in your area have been filled.
All of the cities in which off-campus interviews are still available are listed on the drop-down menu. As interview sites become full, those locations are removed from the list. Therefore, it is to your advantage to request an interview location early. If a city is not listed, there are no longer any interviews available in that location.
https://www.law.northwestern.edu/form/ADM_OCInterview_Preentry.cfm#form

True, but that doesn't really help me now.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Lwoods wrote:

When I called the admissions office, I was told that neither are required but CPE is preferred.

It's stated as required for the AJD, and the dean insisted me sending one in. She also said she would look at the LOR but I don't have to send it, I think it won't matter much. This is strictly for the AJD though, we didn't conduct the interview on the basis of regular admission. AJD application is different too, with B school style essays rather than PS.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 pm

im_blue wrote:look at them. I think that's crystal clear now! :)

Well that makes sense. :roll:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 pm

im_blue wrote:So LSAC sends LORs to NU, who does not accept them, but will still look at them. I think that's crystal clear now! :)

Yes that was really cool when she would look at them, but if you apply and fill out the AJD app, you can't even assign them to the app. I guess I will have to send as attachment or directly to school.

I really think my numbers and my resume did the talking, but then she insisted on me sending in the CPE, which is the reason why I haven't submitted. I need to find someone who can articulate their thoughts well to fill it out.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Lwoods wrote:

It's stated as required for the AJD, and the dean insisted me sending one in. She also said she would look at the LOR but I don't have to send it, I think it won't matter much. This is strictly for the AJD though, we didn't conduct the interview on the basis of regular admission. AJD application is different too, with B school style essays rather than PS.

Sorry, I didn't mean that as a contradiction to what you posted but rather to state the case for regular JD applicants.

Good luck on your application! The AJD program seems like a great opportunity.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Lwoods wrote:
Sorry, I didn't mean that as a contradiction to what you posted but rather to state the case for regular JD applicants.

Good luck on your application! The AJD program seems like a great opportunity.

It's alright, I just want to ensure clarity.

Thanks! The AJD stands out because no other T14 offers something like it. The 1 year would mean a lot to me at my age. If I get a nice scholarship and no HYS offer, I may have to seriously consider the AJD over the rest of my choices.

skers

Postby skers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Is the requirement on WE being post-UG firm? I've worked 55 hours a week running a business and working at an economic development NGO all through UG as a fulltime student. Is this interchangeable, i.e., can i mark the 2+ years on my app? Or is this entirely different than post-UG, even with the same responsibilities?

ATR

Postby ATR » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Is the requirement on WE being post-UG firm? I've worked 55 hours a week running a business and working at an economic development NGO all through UG as a fulltime student. Is this interchangeable, i.e., can i mark the 2+ years on my app? Or is this entirely different than post-UG, even with the same responsibilities?

This is essentially what I'm curious about. I haven't worked nearly as many hours as you, but I have extensive responsibilities/deadlines/etc. and work about 20 hours a week in addition to being fully enrolled. I just don't see why UG work experience doesn't matter.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:43 pm

CastleRock wrote:
im_blue wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
im_blue wrote:98% of the NU class has 1+ years of full-time post-graduate WE, so that's about 5-6 people who don't.

Here's something to consider. NUs application asks how many years of WE the applicant has and doesn't have a place to put zero. The lowest you can put is 1 year and it tells you to round. I would say this potentially skews the stats.

I'm looking at the NU app and the choices are 0, 1, 2, ..., 30.

Meh, I swear it didn't when they opened the application up initially. Fair enough.

They changed it.

Also, I'll just chime in re: no WE being a detriment to recruitment: a close family member of mine, an NU law alumnus and a senior associate on the hiring committee of a white shoe firm in NYC, has said to me that they (his firm's hiring committee) actually prefer people who went straight through- they tend to work harder and burn out less frequently/ stay with the firm longer.

Just sayin'.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:48 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:Is the requirement on WE being post-UG firm? I've worked 55 hours a week running a business and working at an economic development NGO all through UG as a fulltime student. Is this interchangeable, i.e., can i mark the 2+ years on my app? Or is this entirely different than post-UG, even with the same responsibilities?

They only count full-time post-college WE:

"Long-term, our goal is that all entering students will have at least two years of post-college work experience—another factor that helps us determine their motivation and ability to thrive in law school and beyond."

Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:01 am

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 am

Shawh wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but:

Does that mean even if I'm sitting at or above the GPA/LSAT medians for the 2011-2012 cycle, NU may not be a great choice to apply to?

If you are above both, they may throw a huge amount of money at you, possibly if you agree to wait a year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”