Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xyzzzzzzzz

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am

kehoema2 wrote:Lot of bitching on a simple question. Faxing should be working, I was told it is still acceptable and had one posted on my account. I would either fax again or mail. I heard mailing is real backed up right now which is a bitch if you want to submit early.

I don't know why LSAC doesn't just allow the documents to be scanned and sent through computer to an email address. Being that is what happens anyway it seems like the quickest fix to this terrible system.

Knowing that mailing is really backed is making me feel better. It has been like a month in my case.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:15 am

Ok so the 1000 people who decided to follow written instruction by mailing the form/letters in is a bitch because you don't want your letter to be delayed. So they should accommodate your faxed in letters so your letters can get processed faster than people who submitted properly. Makes sense.

Ok fax away. Sorry for the rant.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 am

kehoema2 wrote:Oh yeah, faxing might carry some risk of a less legible document. That being said I have yet to hear anyone being adversely affected by faxing.

What? Do you get a letter outlining the reason why you get accepted/waitlisted/rejected? I didn't know anyone actually knows what negatively (or positively) affected them during the admission process.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:23 am

I had a letter mailed last Tuesday (from KY), it was posted on my account yesterday. I don't understand why everyone insists on faxing, especially when you are questioning whether or not it will be processed correctly. Just mail it, a one week turn-around isn't that bad.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:35 am

jwaters wrote:I had a letter mailed last Tuesday (from KY), it was posted on my account yesterday. I don't understand why everyone insists on faxing, especially when you are questioning whether or not it will be processed correctly. Just mail it, a one week turn-around isn't that bad.

No one wants to stand in line behind the fools who follow directions. They all want to get in through the backdoor to the party.

csoloski

Postby csoloski » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am

On kind of a similar note, I am freaking out because one of my recommendations has not been posted to my account and my recommender hasn't replied to email about the status of it. I was wondering how long is has been taking people who have had their recs submitted from California around Oct 12-13 to be posted.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:17 am

csoloski wrote:On kind of a similar note, I am freaking out because one of my recommendations has not been posted to my account and my recommender hasn't replied to email about the status of it. I was wondering how long is has been taking people who have had their recs submitted from California around Oct 12-13 to be posted.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

If you just mailed it last week I wouldn't be worried. Give it at least 2-3 weeks and then start calling people.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:19 am

csoloski wrote:On kind of a similar note, I am freaking out because one of my recommendations has not been posted to my account and my recommender hasn't replied to email about the status of it. I was wondering how long is has been taking people who have had their recs submitted from California around Oct 12-13 to be posted.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

It takes 3-4 days to get to PA, so they may not even have received it until 2 days ago. I think you should see it by next monday. You can also assign the letter anyway, and submit your apps, and when LSAC receive the LOR and process it they will send it to the school as an update. I did that to one of my letters which my professor forgot to write and send out.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm

2 of my professors mailed out their letters of recommendations today.

I am hoping they post by October 29th.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:14 am

I was told by two separate LSAC people today that LSAC will NOT take faxed LORs anymore. I'm not sure I believe that 100%, but one of the two people I spoke with was insistent that if they DO accept them via fax, its an oversight. My guess is that occasionally they have to make some exceptions and so some person grabbing forms off a fax machine isn't going to know which is an exception and which isn't.

All this said, they told me to mail it, but never said I shouldn't fax it. SO what is unethical/wrong about, perhaps, doing both? Will there be any processing issues if I have both my LOR writers fax it AND mail it the same day?

Also, does anyone know of a simple way to PAY for someone else to quick-ship (overnight, etc.) on your dime?

tranquil

Postby tranquil » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:24 am

I highly recommend going to FedEx and setting up an account online. You can print out an overnight or two day shipment airbill, insert the airbill into a FedEx envelope (they have that plastic flap you stick it in), then give it your professor.

If you set up a FedEX account, your card will be charged after your professor mails the letter. They also have an option to ship without creating an account, which they call "one time shipment" or something like that. I don't recommend this because they ask you to enter the ship date, which of course you don't know precisely.

My experience has been that the letter is posted to your LSAC account one day following delivery.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:42 am

All of my LORs were faxed and posted within 24 hours. If it doesn't post within 48 hours, assume it wasn't clear enough and either refax or mail. Your answer from LSAC depends on who answers the phone. I don't think they mark in your account whether you mailed or faxed.
Last edited by acrossthelake on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 am

I am going to assume none of you who chose to fax things ever worked with a government agency (such as the state and local courts) before.

Have fun being audited by the IRS. (not being sarcastic, you will learn)

Add: my point is, what you think is common sense rarely have any impact or correlation with what happens in the end if you didn't do everything that is written on the form.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 am

The best solution to all this wouldve been to get your letters by early September and having sent them right after. Faxing has too many problems. Last year I asked my recommenders for their letters in mid September, they sent them out a week later, and it was posted on exactly Oct. 11th. It took roughly 2 weeks. Simple.

Just wait and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:57 am

gdane5 wrote:The best solution to all this wouldve been to get your letters by early September and having sent them right after. Faxing has too many problems. Last year I asked my recommenders for their letters in mid September, they sent them out a week later, and it was posted on exactly Oct. 11th. It took roughly 2 weeks. Simple.

Good luck!

You are absolutely correct. However one of my LOR writers FIRMLY stated that he would not write until mid October as that is when he does all LORs. Of course now I'm playing the waiting game. I really didn't have other options because I've been out of school 6 years and this is the one guy who would remember me.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
gdane5 wrote:The best solution to all this wouldve been to get your letters by early September and having sent them right after. Faxing has too many problems. Last year I asked my recommenders for their letters in mid September, they sent them out a week later, and it was posted on exactly Oct. 11th. It took roughly 2 weeks. Simple.

Good luck!

You are absolutely correct. However one of my LOR writers FIRMLY stated that he would not write until mid October as that is when he does all LORs. Of course now I'm playing the waiting game. I really didn't have other options because I've been out of school 6 years and this is the one guy who would remember me.

F* that! I wouldve played hardball with the guy. I understand that he may have been the only guy that remembered you, but making you wait until mid October is unreasonable. It's very unprofessional. What a prick.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 pm

I offered the fax option as a quicker and easier route for both my LOR writers. The first said no and tried to convince me that doing it by mail was fine ( :( ) and the second eliminated the need for fax by saying he would do write it within a week :idea:

I'm really nervous my first writer's LOR wont be in before some of the ED deadlines. He said he would write it within 2 weeks, that means Nov 1st sendout. Thats cutting it very close to the 15th deadlines :(

lawyeah

Postby lawyeah » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:25 pm

I gave my recommenders exactly 4 weeks to write a letter. I gave them specific instructions on what I was looking for and the deadline to prepare it. They knew I wasn't playing games. Both have gotten them done within my time limit and I told them I wanted it faxed over. I don't know why some of you are having problems with recommenders refusing to use fax. That is just crazy. My recommenders didn't have a problem with it. One of them faxed three letters yesterday around 4 pm and they've already been processed. I checked around noon today and it's on my lsac file. I say fax is the way to go. :lol:

Peg

Postby Peg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:47 am

What is the longest time it took for a letter to be processed via fax? Because I sent one in on Thursday and that went through fine (in 12 hours or so). Then I sent another one on Friday and, as of today, it still hasn't shown up yet.

CGI Fridays

Postby CGI Fridays » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:48 am

Mail 'em.
/thread

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:39 pm

My letters are now in. They mailed them on Friday and therefore, the turnaround by LSAC was pretty quick. Tuesday the first one posted and then today the rest posted. I am submitting my applications this week.

AUC2MIC

Postby AUC2MIC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Peg wrote:What is the longest time it took for a letter to be processed via fax? Because I sent one in on Thursday and that went through fine (in 12 hours or so). Then I sent another one on Friday and, as of today, it still hasn't shown up yet.

One of mine took ~1 week after faxing

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Both of my professors told me they mailed mine on the 11th. One got processed the 18th and the other has yet to show up. I'm starting to get a little worried now. I think I'm more concerned about my LOR than about getting my LSAT score on Friday lol.

CSCS Trainer

Postby CSCS Trainer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Anyone have a letter mailed take longer than a month? I gave my writers an envelope and the fax number. Both mailed them. Both faxed. One posted back in mid september. The other is mia. I figured the fax might have been bad for the missing one. But I think they should have processed the other, even if it was by slow snail mail.

One of my recommenders mailed the letter Sept. 30th and it hasn't show up in my account yet? Yes the envelope was addressed and stamped correctly ( I included that with the form for them to include/sign ). All my other letters showed up and were processed fairly efficiently - within a week. I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask them to mail another letter.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm

guys your letters should be processing pretty quick. I'm not sure if my professor sent his in by priority mail but it was processed less than 1 week after I met with him to discuss it....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”