Taking 4.5 years in undergrad?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
schrizto

Taking 4.5 years in undergrad?

Postby schrizto » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:02 pm

When I was a freshman, I was premed and got crappy grades in premed classes which caused me to lose for a semester the scholarship I was awarded, and had to pay for that one semester. Since then, I've switched my concentration to the humanities and the classes are very manageable. I've been trying to make up for my premed grades. The guidelines for my scholarship say that it is good for 8 semesters, and since I had to pay for one semester, if I were to graduate normally in 4 years I'd still have one semester of scholarship left over. I'm thinking of staying for 4.5 years to use up the scholarship and take it as another opportunity to improve my grades and take more classes that I'm interested in.

I'm not that familiar with the law school application cycle yet, but if I were to apply during that 4.5th fall semester would there be enough time for law schools be able to see my grades from that semester?

gdane

Re: Taking 4.5 years in undergrad?

Postby gdane » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Yes, but you'd have to apply a little later. By the time you submit your grades to LSAC and they update your LSDAS report, it'll be early to mid January. If your GPA is going to go up by .2 points, dont even bother. Just apply now.

Good luck!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:09 pm

You can send in your application and then update them when your grades become available. That being said the grades probably won't change their decision unless your GPA actually gets over an important number (i.e. 3.0, 25th percentile, median, 75th percentile).

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 pm

bk1 wrote:You can send in your application and then update them when your grades become available. That being said the grades probably won't change their decision unless your GPA actually gets over an important number (i.e. 3.0, 25th percentile, median, 75th percentile).

+1, you would send in your apps and then update after you get your grades back.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”