I know major doesn't matter much for law/grad school BUT...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Omegared179

I know major doesn't matter much for law/grad school BUT...

Postby Omegared179 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:42 pm

I am a second year at a T25 undergrad, and am currently choosing between the majors "World Arts and Culture" and "Global Studies", now I know that would probably not make a huge difference, but one is in the School of Arts and Architecture while the other is just in L&S. Would Law/Grad Schools look at these majors differently?

plenipotentiary

Re: I know major doesn't matter much for law/grad school BUT...

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:44 pm

No. Pick the one where you can get the most A's.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:48 pm

Nope.

The grades comment is credited.

Some considerations:
If one of these majors lands you a job between UG and LS, that WE might help. The major itself still won't mean much, though.

If you just want to sound cultured to your classmates (most of whom are probably Poli Sci / History / Econ / etc.), go for Art I suppose.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Omegared179 wrote:I am a second year at a T25 undergrad, and am currently choosing between the majors "World Arts and Culture" and "Global Studies", now I know that would probably not make a huge difference, but one is in the School of Arts and Architecture while the other is just in L&S. Would Law/Grad Schools look at these majors differently?

Both of these sound shit useless.. That isn't to say that most UG majors aren't shit useless... But why not consider a major where you can a) earn good grades; and b) learn something you might use, should you not become a lawyer.

Lastly, forget the whole T25 U grad stuff. No law school will ever care that it was a T25. Harvard, Yale or Princeton might get you a bump, but you get nothing for "T25."

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Above comments are true for law schools. I have no idea for grad schools.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:57 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Omegared179 wrote:I am a second year at a T25 undergrad, and am currently choosing between the majors "World Arts and Culture" and "Global Studies", now I know that would probably not make a huge difference, but one is in the School of Arts and Architecture while the other is just in L&S. Would Law/Grad Schools look at these majors differently?

Both of these sound shit useless.. That isn't to say that most UG majors aren't shit useless... But why not consider a major where you can a) earn good grades; and b) learn something you might use, should you not become a lawyer.

Lastly, forget the whole T25 U grad stuff. No law school will ever care that it was a T25. Harvard, Yale or Princeton might get you a bump, but you get nothing for "T25."

Thats what I was going to say. The whole "I go to a top 25/top 50/top 100 school" schtick doesnt mean anything and it reeks of pretentiousness.

Good luck though!

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:34 pm

I think schools also consider the degree of difficulty of the classes you take, regardless of your major. You could have an "easy" major but take a lot of electives that are more involved.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:41 pm

McDeere wrote:I think schools also consider the degree of difficulty of the classes you take, regardless of your major. You could have an "easy" major but take a lot of electives that are more involved.

Last edited by JazzOne on Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:43 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Harvard, Yale or Princeton might get you a bump, but you get nothing for "T25."

The HYP theme is something I've only ever seen on TLS. Go figure.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:46 pm

MrKappus wrote:The HYP theme is something I've only ever seen on TLS. Go figure.

--ImageRemoved--

But that had to come from somewhere! :P

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:48 pm

bk1 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:The HYP theme is something I've only ever seen on TLS. Go figure.

--ImageRemoved--

But that had to come from somewhere! :P

Haha sorry, I meant the Big 3 vis-a-vis impact on admissions.

P.S. Sweet pic.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:48 pm

MrKappus wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Harvard, Yale or Princeton might get you a bump, but you get nothing for "T25."

It's definitely NOT limited to HYP (I have internals from my UG and we have slightly below mean admissions).

However, "T25" is completely and utterly meaningless. It mean's you're in 21-25. Grats on going to <Georgetown, UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA>. But the tiers are not meaningful, and there's a pretty steep dropoff after the top 15 or so in terms of prestige, so don't count on it helping much at all.

Omegared179

Postby Omegared179 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:40 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

It's definitely NOT limited to HYP (I have internals from my UG and we have slightly below mean admissions).

However, "T25" is completely and utterly meaningless. It mean's you're in 21-25. Grats on going to <Georgetown, UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA>. But the tiers are not meaningful, and there's a pretty steep dropoff after the top 15 or so in terms of prestige, so don't count on it helping much at all.

Hahaha I'm sorry if it sounded pretentious, however I have been led to believe that UG does matter a lot outside of graduate school admissions. I go to one of the public schools listed and when I have visited Asia (China/Malaysia/Singapore), they have no idea what Dartmouth or Brown is but they really think Cal/UCLA is the same as Harvard/MIT, so there is hope for prestige from the 20-25ers, albeit across the pacific. Thanks to everyone for advice on major choice!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Omegared179 wrote:Hahaha I'm sorry if it sounded pretentious, however I have been led to believe that UG does matter a lot outside of graduate school admissions. I go to one of the public schools listed and when I have visited Asia (China/Malaysia/Singapore), they have no idea what Dartmouth or Brown is but they really think Cal/UCLA is the same as Harvard/MIT, so there is hope for prestige from the 20-25ers, albeit across the pacific. Thanks to everyone for advice on major choice!

Are you sure they are not saying things like that just to make you feel good? My fellow Asians are known to say nice things when time calls for it. (I am an obvious exception haha)

Edit to add: even many people in the NE don't know what Dartmouth or Brown is.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Omegared179 wrote:Hahaha I'm sorry if it sounded pretentious, however I have been led to believe that UG does matter a lot outside of graduate school admissions. I go to one of the public schools listed and when I have visited Asia (China/Malaysia/Singapore), they have no idea what Dartmouth or Brown is but they really think Cal/UCLA is the same as Harvard/MIT, so there is hope for prestige from the 20-25ers, albeit across the pacific. Thanks to everyone for advice on major choice!

Are you sure they are not saying things like that just to make you feel good? My fellow Asians are known to say nice things when time calls for it. (I am an obvious exception haha)

Edit to add: even many people in the NE don't know what Dartmouth or Brown is.

Cornell is the Skadden of the ivy league, not Brown or Dartmouth.

Postby 2014 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:

Nice anti U.Va/Wake Forest trolling

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

gdane5 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Thats what I was going to say. The whole "I go to a top 25/top 50/top 100 school" schtick doesnt mean anything and it reeks of pretentiousness.

Good luck though!

While generally speaking the T25 or T20 distinction doesn't very matter much in comparison to actual GPA, there can still be some effects at the margins or for certain schools.

Basically, its accepted that HYSP will give you slight boosts for top schools (as in a slight bending of margins or a 3.9, 170~172 still getting a good shot even with a under 50 LSAT)... In looking at past data this also exists to a slight extent for other good UG institutions like the "T25" or "T20."

Of course its not going to make up a 3.2 GPA, but coming from these schools with a very good GPA (3.9) can give you slightly more leeway on the LSAT for certain cases or for certain schools (i.e. Chicago has a definite bias).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:31 pm

[/quote]
However, "T25" is completely and utterly meaningless. It mean's you're in 21-25. Grats on going to <Georgetown, UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA>. But the tiers are not meaningful, and there's a pretty steep dropoff after the top 15 or so in terms of prestige, so don't count on it helping much at all.[/quote]

Yah man, screw those idiots at Berkeley and Georgetown, everybody knows that Wash U is the apex of teh prestige, amirite guys, huh, huh, amirite?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:36 pm

Veyron wrote:
arbiter213 wrote: However, "T25" is completely and utterly meaningless. It mean's you're in 21-25. Grats on going to <Georgetown, UC Berkeley, CMU, UCLA>. But the tiers are not meaningful, and there's a pretty steep dropoff after the top 15 or so in terms of prestige, so don't count on it helping much at all.

Yah man, screw those idiots at Berkeley and Georgetown, everybody knows that Wash U is the apex of teh prestige, amirite guys, huh, huh, amirite?

+1

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:49 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

TITCR, just like everything else this man speaks of.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”