Family connections to the university?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Re: Family connections to the university?

Postby bk1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:If you have "strong family ties" to the university, why would you ask an internet forum over your family about your chances at said university?

Dude, if my dog's cousin's owner's neighbor's aunt's cleaning lady also cleans the house of the president of a university, I would be there with a fruit tart in one hand and a toilet brush in the other tomorrow morning at 6:45am trying to chat up my chances of getting accepted and/or their toilet paper hanging preference.

:lol:

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:If you have "strong family ties" to the university, why would you ask an internet forum over your family about your chances at said university?

Dude, if my dog's cousin's owner's neighbor's aunt's cleaning lady also cleans the house of the president of a university, I would be there with a fruit tart in one hand and a toilet brush in the other tomorrow morning at 6:45am trying to chat up my chances of getting accepted and/or their toilet paper hanging preference.

Good point, if you want a for sure acceptance, clean the president's shitter.

hotshot234512

Postby hotshot234512 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:03 am

reasonable_man wrote:
CSCS Trainer wrote:Thank you for the replies. To answer some of the questions: yes I know these people, my family is very close. I spent a lot of time growing up around this university because so many family members were connected by either attending as students for working for it. Great aunts & uncles, aunts & uncles, cousins have all attended this university. Someone from my family as been involved at this university in some capacity since the early 1900's.

as for this comment, "second-cousin of my grandfather" is a ridiculously tenuous link between that person and you. I wouldn't necessarily agree considering like I said, our families were very close growing up.

My reasons for mentioning include any potential "bump" in the admissions process, obviously, but also it explains my desire to attend this specific university.

Thank you again for your opinions.

Just call in to the admissions office and say: " Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, my blood lines run deep here at princeton law, what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up the position of President of the good university. I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and brandy at the old boys club"

probably the funniest response i've ever seen on this site and despite my lack of posts i've read a lot of posts, lurking ftw

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 am

ITT: Unwashed trash attempts to convince himself that he has connections.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:22 am

reasonable_man wrote:
CSCS Trainer wrote:Thank you for the replies. To answer some of the questions: yes I know these people, my family is very close. I spent a lot of time growing up around this university because so many family members were connected by either attending as students for working for it. Great aunts & uncles, aunts & uncles, cousins have all attended this university. Someone from my family as been involved at this university in some capacity since the early 1900's.

as for this comment, "second-cousin of my grandfather" is a ridiculously tenuous link between that person and you. I wouldn't necessarily agree considering like I said, our families were very close growing up.

My reasons for mentioning include any potential "bump" in the admissions process, obviously, but also it explains my desire to attend this specific university.

Thank you again for your opinions.

lol

Just call in to the admissions office and say: " Good sir, I do say that I am planning on taking up a career in the learned profession of the law and have chosen to follow my birthrite, which leads me to this fine university. As I'm sure you know, my blood lines run deep here at princeton law, what with many generations of noblemen from my family having attended since the early 1800's and my grandmother's third counsin's aunt's father having recently agreed to take up the position of President of the good university. I just wanted to call in to make sure that legacy students, such as myself, are required to take part in the rifraffery of a written application or if such procedures are handled in the more gentlemenly manner of a hand shake over a fine cigar and brandy at the old boys club"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”