Disciplinary Action Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
novab

Disciplinary Action Question

Postby novab » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 am

I have a quick question regarding the "have you ever been the subject of any disciplinary action taken by a college/university"

Back when I was a freshman, two guys sprayed me and my friend with a fire extinguisher and I grabbed it from them, sprayed them and then accidentally sprayed my RA when he came into the room. The three of us were fined $150 for violating the fire code or something like that, but I don't think that we were put on probation. I honestly don't remember much about the punishment we received besides the money. A couple of weeks before that I also received a $25 fine for having a six pack in my mini fridge. both of these were within the first six weeks of school. Does this constitute "disciplinary action". I feel like both of these things were so minor, but I didn't want to write the incorrect response on my applications.

Does my undergrad institution send a report or something to each of the schools I apply to? Should I write "no" or should i write "yes" and then explain. It just seems so ridiculous to have to explain having a six pack in my room as a freshman and spraying a fire extinguisher.

Thanks!

txadv11

Re: Disciplinary Action Question

Postby txadv11 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:45 am

novab wrote:I have a quick question regarding the "have you ever been the subject of any disciplinary action taken by a college/university"

Back when I was a freshman, two guys sprayed me and my friend with a fire extinguisher and I grabbed it from them, sprayed them and then accidentally sprayed my RA when he came into the room. The three of us were fined $150 for violating the fire code or something like that, but I don't think that we were put on probation. I honestly don't remember much about the punishment we received besides the money. A couple of weeks before that I also received a $25 fine for having a six pack in my mini fridge. both of these were within the first six weeks of school. Does this constitute "disciplinary action". I feel like both of these things were so minor, but I didn't want to write the incorrect response on my applications.

Does my undergrad institution send a report or something to each of the schools I apply to? Should I write "no" or should i write "yes" and then explain. It just seems so ridiculous to have to explain having a six pack in my room as a freshman and spraying a fire extinguisher.

Thanks!

Being fined would constitute being subject to disciplinary in my mind. I would disclose briefly, and show the distance (in years, & maturity) and move on. I don't see this jeopardizing any C&F...

novab

Postby novab » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:04 pm

I actually spoke with one of the attorneys I work under who recently graduated from law school and asked him what he thought also. He recommended calling my university and having them pull up my record and ask them if my problems constitute "disciplinary action". His rational was that if you received a fine for a parking ticket or overdue library books, that would not be disciplinary action and he thought that a fine is just a fine - like a traffic ticket (which I know that some schools do request specifically)

So I just called and they said that for their purposes "disciplinary action" is only disclosed EVER - included for the Bar Exam - if it resulted in some sort of probation, which mine did not. They are also sending me a letter to the same effect - at least I'll have documentation.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:17 pm

novab wrote:Thanks :)

I actually spoke with one of the attorneys I work under who recently graduated from law school and asked him what he thought also. He recommended calling my university and having them pull up my record and ask them if my problems constitute "disciplinary action". His rational was that if you received a fine for a parking ticket or overdue library books, that would not be disciplinary action and he thought that a fine is just a fine - like a traffic ticket (which I know that some schools do request specifically)

So I just called and they said that for their purposes "disciplinary action" is only disclosed EVER - included for the Bar Exam - if it resulted in some sort of probation, which mine did not. They are also sending me a letter to the same effect - at least I'll have documentation.

this is helpful, thanks. I'm going to call mine as well

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”