Completing Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Completing Applications

Postby merc280 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 pm

I have around 23 schools that I am applying to, all of them on different rankings. Since I have a low GPA and am waiting on my LSAT I figure I am just going to apply to a lot of schools I like and then decide which ones I want to go to based on where I get in. My question was whether I should complete all of the preliminary information on the apps that is easy to fill in and then work on supplemental info like essays and things, or should I complete them one at a time, making sure each app is fully submitted before going on to the next school? Would it just be better to finish as much of every app as possible and then go back and submit them after completing all the info, or do it one at a time?

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:37 pm

I just finished 18 applications. I did one at a time, because I figured that would make it less likely that I would send "..and that is why I would like to attend the University of Washington School of Law" to UC Davis.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Perch » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 pm

I admit I should know this by now, but what is it like once you select your schools on the LSAC website? I've been hesitant to move forward on it until I'm all ready because I just have no clue if you can start/stop/save your app?

Thanks.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Perch wrote:I admit I should know this by now, but what is it like once you select your schools on the LSAC website? I've been hesitant to move forward on it until I'm all ready because I just have no clue if you can start/stop/save your app?

Thanks.

You can definitely start/stop/save. You can attach documents, remove them later, save them for use on other apps, etc.

I did all of mine at the same time, but I ALWAYS made sure to double check everything before I submitted. Also, LSAC shows you a PDF version of your full app (including attachments) before you send it off.

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Completing Applications

Postby merc280 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 am

Yeah I think I'll just do the easy parts of mine all at once and then work on the essays for all of them.

username99
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby username99 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am

Bumi wrote:I just finished 18 applications. I did one at a time, because I figured that would make it less likely that I would send "..and that is why I would like to attend the University of Washington School of Law" to UC Davis.


This has become by far my greatest fear.

Destined
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Destined » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 am

besides changing the names of the schools is anyone tweaking their Personal statement for different schools?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:10 am

Destined wrote:besides changing the names of the schools is anyone tweaking their Personal statement for different schools?


For the schools that didn't request a "Why XXX" essay, I've included a paragraph noting my specific interest in that school. I set up my PS so that it would flow well but sometimes made tweaks to other parts as well to make it fit that school.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Bumi » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:42 am

username99 wrote:
Bumi wrote:I just finished 18 applications. I did one at a time, because I figured that would make it less likely that I would send "..and that is why I would like to attend the University of Washington School of Law" to UC Davis.


This has become by far my greatest fear.


I am terrified that I screwed it up at some point, but now that it's too late I don't want to go in and check.

username99
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby username99 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 am

Bumi wrote:
username99 wrote:
Bumi wrote:I just finished 18 applications. I did one at a time, because I figured that would make it less likely that I would send "..and that is why I would like to attend the University of Washington School of Law" to UC Davis.


This has become by far my greatest fear.


I am terrified that I screwed it up at some point, but now that it's too late I don't want to go in and check.


Same. There's probably an update field thing that you can do on Word, so you can highlight the school's name and it'll change it for all. BUT I am not that good at computers..so manual it is.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 am

username99 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
username99 wrote:
Bumi wrote:I just finished 18 applications. I did one at a time, because I figured that would make it less likely that I would send "..and that is why I would like to attend the University of Washington School of Law" to UC Davis.


This has become by far my greatest fear.


I am terrified that I screwed it up at some point, but now that it's too late I don't want to go in and check.


Same. There's probably an update field thing that you can do on Word, so you can highlight the school's name and it'll change it for all. BUT I am not that good at computers..so manual it is.


Find/replace. Pretty commonly used in law, but you do still need to carefully comb over the document because it doesn't account for typos. You can do a find/replace to find Columbia and replace with Northwestern, but it will be no good if you accidentally typed Colombia like the country where you meant Columbia like the school.

...I think there was a scene in an episode of The Office where this came up...

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12407
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby gdane » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:35 am

Lwoods wrote:...I think there was a scene in an episode of The Office where this came up...

Correct. It was in "The Client". Micheal used a search and replace for the name "Dwight", but one was left behind because he misspelled it "Dwigt". Cute episode.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Completing Applications

Postby Perch » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:13 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Perch wrote:I admit I should know this by now, but what is it like once you select your schools on the LSAC website? I've been hesitant to move forward on it until I'm all ready because I just have no clue if you can start/stop/save your app?

Thanks.

You can definitely start/stop/save. You can attach documents, remove them later, save them for use on other apps, etc.

I did all of mine at the same time, but I ALWAYS made sure to double check everything before I submitted. Also, LSAC shows you a PDF version of your full app (including attachments) before you send it off.


I think I'll get the easy stuff done for all my potential schools in that case, then once scores are released actually finish up the "why xx" part of them...get a few done in advance, but so much depends on this score that it doesn't seem worth getting too far ahead

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: Completing Applications

Postby merc280 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Perch wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Perch wrote:I admit I should know this by now, but what is it like once you select your schools on the LSAC website? I've been hesitant to move forward on it until I'm all ready because I just have no clue if you can start/stop/save your app?

Thanks.

You can definitely start/stop/save. You can attach documents, remove them later, save them for use on other apps, etc.

I did all of mine at the same time, but I ALWAYS made sure to double check everything before I submitted. Also, LSAC shows you a PDF version of your full app (including attachments) before you send it off.


I think I'll get the easy stuff done for all my potential schools in that case, then once scores are released actually finish up the "why xx" part of them...get a few done in advance, but so much depends on this score that it doesn't seem worth getting too far ahead



This is what ive decided to do too. I figure it'll take way too long to just do each one individually and get bogged down on the "why" essays.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore and 2 guests