Apply with current LSAT then update it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
musicfor18

Apply with current LSAT then update it?

Postby musicfor18 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:25 am

I know this topic has been addresses in the past, but I'm curious to hear new opinions and experiences on this. I've already takenthe LSAT and did fairly well (167). Last year, I applied to schools and got in, was ready to go but, for medical reasons, had to withdraw. I'm going to reapply this year and would like to retake the LSAT in December in hopes of getting a few more points. On the other hand, there's also benefit in applying early (now) instead of waiting to get my new score in January.

Does anyone have experience sending in an application and then updating with a new LSAT score later?

Thanks!

Sandro

Re: Apply with current LSAT then update it?

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:36 pm

I think if they see you have an upcoming LSAT they will hold your application until the score is in. Having your app in IMO before your scores really doesnt do too much. Too bad you couldnt retake in June/Oct because you already have a good LSAT score.

Does anyone know if you can specifically tell schools to review your app even if signed up for December LSAT?

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I think if they see you have an upcoming LSAT they will hold your application until the score is in. Having your app in IMO before your scores really doesnt do too much. Too bad you couldnt retake in June/Oct because you already have a good LSAT score.

Does anyone know if you can specifically tell schools to review your app even if signed up for December LSAT?

This is what I'd like to know as well. I'm pretty sure you can just tell them not to wait and make a decision after the October scores are in, at least with some schools that I've looked up.

Bert

Postby Bert » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:52 pm

musicfor18 wrote:Does anyone have experience sending in an application and then updating with a new LSAT score later?

I did this when I applied last year, and the schools generally hold the application until the new score is released -- even my safety schools held the applications. FYI, when they receive your application and score report, the score report indicates that you are registered for an upcoming LSAT, and that the report is incomplete in its current state. As for whether schools will specifically make a decision on this initial score, I would think not (but that's just my opinion based on my experience).

Sandro777 wrote:Having your app in IMO before your scores really doesnt do too much.

I disagree with this, though. If you get your apps in now with a fairly good score, the admissions package will be sent to the schools now, with the same note that you are registered for the LSAT in the future. The schools will have all your application package even if it is off to the side waiting for your final score. When the final scores are released for the future LSAT, the schools will not get an updated LSAT package, they just get a simple package indicating your new score. The benefit, as I understand it, is that your entire application package will not be in queue to be sent to the schools with everybody else who sat for the LSAT with you. Your application will already have been received by the schools and will have somewhat of a time advantage.

EDIT: poor quoting.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”