Excessive number of speeding tickets?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
McDeere

Excessive number of speeding tickets?

Postby McDeere » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:37 am

I've been lurking for awhile, but I finally decided to register because this one issue has been bugging me for days. Of the schools I'm applying to, George Mason and Minnesota require disclosure of speeding tickets (I emailed them to make sure). I think I have at least 7 or 8 speeding tickets dating back to high school. Do I need to fully disclose the exact dates and details of each and every ticket? What happens if I miss one? I'm just wondering about the impact on my applications. Thanks.

omninode

Re: Excessive number of speeding tickets?

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:48 am

If you're worried about getting the details right, go get a copy of your driving record. I don't know how it is in your state, but here in Michigan you just go to your local Secretary of State office (DMV in most states) and for $8 they will print it out for you on the spot. It has the date and jurisdiction of every driving offense on your record.

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:52 am

Thank you. But do law schools actually care about the speeding tickets? Does having a high number of tickets affect their decision?

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:04 am

I don't think it will have a huge impact, unless the record show extreme recklessness (like going 20+ mph over the limit on a regular basis). Everybody makes mistakes. I have three speeding tickets myself. Maybe address the tickets with an addendum if you're worried about it.

I think the only crimes that will keep you out of school are big ones like serious felonies, or academic misconduct, or a pattern of drug and alcohol abuse with no evidence of recovery. They don't ask for your criminal history because they want to punish you for mistakes you've made in the past. They just want to make sure you can stay out of jail for the duration of law school.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:18 am

Like others have said, most likely not a huge impact. But I'd stop speeding. It might show consistent disregard for some aspects of the law...but even so, I doubt it would have any impact. Everyone speeds, maybe you're just unlucky.

Hope for the best!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 am

I had about 15. Made no difference whatsoever.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:57 am

omninode wrote:If you're worried about getting the details right, go get a copy of your driving record. I don't know how it is in your state, but here in Michigan you just go to your local Secretary of State office (DMV in most states) and for $8 they will print it out for you on the spot. It has the date and jurisdiction of every driving offense on your record.

Problem is, many schools require disclosure of all tickets received, not just the ones on your record. My record had about half the tickets I've gotten, partially because I've been driving longer than my state keeps records.

OP: if you want the details to be right, go straight to the court records, not the DMV. If you can. Court records could still have the details of tickets that you had taken off your driving record because you went to driving school.

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 am

Bumi wrote:
omninode wrote:If you're worried about getting the details right, go get a copy of your driving record. I don't know how it is in your state, but here in Michigan you just go to your local Secretary of State office (DMV in most states) and for $8 they will print it out for you on the spot. It has the date and jurisdiction of every driving offense on your record.

Problem is, many schools require disclosure of all tickets received, not just the ones on your record. My record had about half the tickets I've gotten, partially because I've been driving longer than my state keeps records.

OP: if you want the details to be right, go straight to the court records, not the DMV. If you can. Court records could still have the details of tickets that you had taken off your driving record because you went to driving school.

Do you know how I can get the court records?

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 am

kalvano wrote:I had about 15. Made no difference whatsoever.

Did you disclose them all? What schools did you get into?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 am

McDeere wrote:
kalvano wrote:I had about 15. Made no difference whatsoever.

Did you disclose them all? What schools did you get into?

All that I remembered. It's been 12, 14 years on some of them. Remember, for something so minor, the school itself likely couldn't care less. It's all related to C&F and making sure that what you say in your application to the school lines up with your application to the bar and what the bar finds in your record. They aren't really concerned with what you did so much as your honesty about it.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:50 am

The schools care because they want to have as much information as possible for character and fitness purposes. I serisouly doubt traffic tickets will hurt you.

I did not remember details on a couple of mine but I gave them the best information I could and had no problem.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:58 am

McDeere wrote:I've been lurking for awhile, but I finally decided to register because this one issue has been bugging me for days. Of the schools I'm applying to, George Mason and Minnesota require disclosure of speeding tickets (I emailed them to make sure). I think I have at least 7 or 8 speeding tickets dating back to high school. Do I need to fully disclose the exact dates and details of each and every ticket? What happens if I miss one? I'm just wondering about the impact on my applications. Thanks.

I am a practicing lawyer in NY. I lost my drivers's license during college as a result of numerous drag racing and speeding tickets from my illustrious 17 thru 20 years of age. Kids are stupid; so was I. In any event, no law school will care. Just stop doing it. The only thing that could really hurt you is failing to disclose these issues to your potential school, as it will come up on your character and fitness review when you sit for the bar. The last thing you want to do is have to explain why you hid something so silly from a prospective school and have the examiners question your integrity/honesty as opposed to your ability to drive under the speed limit.

As an aside, my character and fitness review laughed a little when reading my application, told me its nice to see that I had learned to slow down a bit (as it had been several years since I had a single ticket by that point), and we moved on to the rest of the interview. In short, don't worry about it; just fully disclose. Run a DMV abstract and make sure you get everything.

hokie

Postby hokie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:45 am

I am also in a similar situation; I actually got my license suspended for 6 months due to too many points (aka several speeding tickets in excess of +20mph). Do you think that this won't really hurt me that much?

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:55 am

hokie wrote:I am also in a similar situation; I actually got my license suspended for 6 months due to too many points (aka several speeding tickets in excess of +20mph). Do you think that this won't really hurt me that much?

Read my post above yours.

hokie

Postby hokie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:02 am

reasonable_man wrote:
hokie wrote:I am also in a similar situation; I actually got my license suspended for 6 months due to too many points (aka several speeding tickets in excess of +20mph). Do you think that this won't really hurt me that much?

Read my post above yours.

ditto; thank you!

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:04 pm

It seems the lesson in this thread is that can go get some more speeding tickets. Have fun!

McDeere

Postby McDeere » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:25 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
McDeere wrote:I've been lurking for awhile, but I finally decided to register because this one issue has been bugging me for days. Of the schools I'm applying to, George Mason and Minnesota require disclosure of speeding tickets (I emailed them to make sure). I think I have at least 7 or 8 speeding tickets dating back to high school. Do I need to fully disclose the exact dates and details of each and every ticket? What happens if I miss one? I'm just wondering about the impact on my applications. Thanks.

I am a practicing lawyer in NY. I lost my drivers's license during college as a result of numerous drag racing and speeding tickets from my illustrious 17 thru 20 years of age. Kids are stupid; so was I. In any event, no law school will care. Just stop doing it. The only thing that could really hurt you is failing to disclose these issues to your potential school, as it will come up on your character and fitness review when you sit for the bar. The last thing you want to do is have to explain why you hid something so silly from a prospective school and have the examiners question your integrity/honesty as opposed to your ability to drive under the speed limit.

As an aside, my character and fitness review laughed a little when reading my application, told me its nice to see that I had learned to slow down a bit (as it had been several years since I had a single ticket by that point), and we moved on to the rest of the interview. In short, don't worry about it; just fully disclose. Run a DMV abstract and make sure you get everything.

Thank you for the advice. I think somebody mentioned that the DMV abstract doesn't include tickets that were taken off the record. Do I need to get court records for those? How do I do that?

fragged

Postby fragged » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:30 pm

For future reference, the number on your odometer is supposed to be = or < the number posted on the side of the highway.

That being said, I would disclose it with a humble explanation. There's nothing that screams immaturity quite like an excessive number of speeding tickets.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:51 pm

fragged wrote:For future reference, the number on your odometer is supposed to be = or < the number posted on the side of the highway.

That being said, I would disclose it with a humble explanation. There's nothing that screams immaturity quite like an excessive number of speeding tickets.

Are you for fucking real? There are people that apply to law school and the bar with serious criminal misconduct in their background and you think the op should be concerned about doing 68 in a 55. Get bent. You obviously know nothing about the process of applying to a law school or the purpose of the criminal conviction question on a LS application.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:18 pm

fragged wrote:For future reference, the number on your odometer is supposed to be = or < the number posted on the side of the highway.

You'd think I'd get more tickets with my odometer reading 258760 then. And all that number does is get higher!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:17 pm

reasonable_man wrote:Run a DMV abstract and make sure you get everything.

The only problem with that is that tickets you got deferred or defensive driving won't show up.

I spoke with the C&F people in Texas, and they said that what I put in my application was acceptable, that I had a lot of tickets, I wasn't trying to hide any but that some were 12, 14 years old and I just couldn't remember, and here are the ones I do.

They really don't care that much unless you try and hide them.

First, proofread snarky posts to avoid precisely that.

Second, no one gives 1/10th of a shit about you being humble about speeding tickets. They aren't even a real crime in most places. And they certainly don't want to spend time reading some contrite, teeth-gnashing bullshit statement about how sorry you are and you'll never do it again. Everybody knows you will.

Just say where, about when, and the disposition of the ticket. I didn't even tell them the speed I was going. I just put "speeding ticket", "expired registration", etc.

sknowl01

Postby sknowl01 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Bumi wrote:Problem is, many schools require disclosure of all tickets received, not just the ones on your record. My record had about half the tickets I've gotten, partially because I've been driving longer than my state keeps records.

That is my problem now. My driving record shows as clean, but I know I have speeding tickets from 17-18 years ago. I am not even sure where I received some of the tickets. I wrote a generic statement "I have received speeding tickets in my past, but due to the amount of time that has passed since I received them, the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicles does not have a record of them. These speeding tickets constitute the only violation of law for me."

So far only one school has asked me to provide more information than this and I am not sure what to do about that request.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”