Addendum question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
applepiecrust

Addendum question

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:23 pm

My GPA trend for six semesters at undergrad so far is:
3.89, 3.75, 3.15, 3.6, 3.6, 3.75

Should I write an addendum for the outlier semester? I had come out to my parents the previous summer, it didn't go well -- they threatened to take me out of school/cut me off. I was under a lot of stress and I was in therapy.
I'm afraid of coming across as whiny/weak by writing an addendum. It's not as if the rest of my grades are outstanding. They're just not as pathetic as that semester.

kalvano

Re: Addendum question

Postby kalvano » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:24 pm

It wasn't a gigantic dip. I'd just leave it alone.

GotYourselfAStewGoin

Postby GotYourselfAStewGoin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:26 pm

I would go ahead and write one; it was an outlier and you had a good reason for it. Keep it short, though.

overyourhead

Postby overyourhead » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:45 pm

GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:I would go ahead and write one; it was an outlier and you had a good reason for it. Keep it short, though.

Really? That low? I'm genuinely asking. I thought addendum's re: GPA trends were mainly for situations where the applicant suddenly has one bad semester-- say, an A student all of the sudden getting C's and D's on semester, then later going on to continue to get mostly A's. Although 3.15 may be low for the poster, it's hardly a poor one semester GPA overall. Wouldn't writing an addendum addressing this only draw attention to something that objectively speaking isn't all that bad?

I'm just trying to understand this situation better. I guess I'm in the same situation. A's and A-'s every semester of undergrad (with the occasional B), except for the spring semester of my sophomore year where I received straight B's, half of which were B-'s. (I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, have documentation, etc.)

It stands out, but I wasn't planning on mentioning anything because I didn't think AC's viewed B's as bad enough to warrant explanation. So in my situation, I should probably write an addendum addressing this as well? Do you have to say you were suffering from documented MDD or is saying you were suffering from an illness for which you have documentation sufficient?

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:20 pm

overyourhead wrote:
GotYourselfAStewGoin wrote:I would go ahead and write one; it was an outlier and you had a good reason for it. Keep it short, though.

Really? That low? I'm genuinely asking. I thought addendum's re: GPA trends were mainly for situations where the applicant suddenly has one bad semester-- say, an A student all of the sudden getting C's and D's on semester, then later going on to continue to get mostly A's. Although 3.15 may be low for the poster, it's hardly a poor one semester GPA overall. Wouldn't writing an addendum addressing this only draw attention to something that objectively speaking isn't all that bad?

I'm just trying to understand this situation better. I guess I'm in the same situation. A's and A-'s every semester of undergrad (with the occasional B), except for the spring semester of my sophomore year where I received straight B's, half of which were B-'s. (I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder, have documentation, etc.)

It stands out, but I wasn't planning on mentioning anything because I didn't think AC's viewed B's as bad enough to warrant explanation. So in my situation, I should probably write an addendum addressing this as well? Do you have to say you were suffering from documented MDD or is saying you were suffering from an illness for which you have documentation sufficient?

You're a classic addendum case.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:02 pm

applepiecrust wrote:I had come out to my parents the previous summer, it didn't go well...

Or a classic diversity statement case. I'd write a full blown shebang about it personally, but that's me, I like grandstanding. Anyhow I'd have to think the deans would be interested to hear about it, makes your application richer and more interesting.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:29 pm

ahduth wrote:
applepiecrust wrote:I had come out to my parents the previous summer, it didn't go well...

Or a classic diversity statement case. I'd write a full blown shebang about it personally, but that's me, I like grandstanding. Anyhow I'd have to think the deans would be interested to hear about it, makes your application richer and more interesting.

IDK... my PS as it looks now already touches upon it. I really don't want to hit them over the head with the gay thing.

(Besides, my possible DS draft, which would only be for a few schools, will revolve around my LGBT activism. I don't want to give my parents' reaction more attention than it merits anyway :p).

GotYourselfAStewGoin

Postby GotYourselfAStewGoin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:33 pm

CastleRock wrote:
overyourhead wrote:

You should definitely write one.

I was also going to say OP might consider a diversity statement, but it looks like they've covered it in the PS. Just make sure they know about it - you don't want to waste adversity :D

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:38 pm

applepiecrust wrote:My GPA trend for six semesters at undergrad so far is:
3.89, 3.75, 3.15, 3.6, 3.6, 3.75

Should I write an addendum for the outlier semester? I had come out to my parents the previous summer, it didn't go well -- they threatened to take me out of school/cut me off. I was under a lot of stress and I was in therapy.
I'm afraid of coming across as whiny/weak by writing an addendum. It's not as if the rest of my grades are outstanding. They're just not as pathetic as that semester.

no no no no no no no

the addendum is not going to make a difference other than drawing more attention to that one semester's GPA.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:42 pm

overyourhead wrote:

you really shouldn't either. Once again, you'd just be drawing more attention to a weaker semester and showing a lack of good judgment by submitting an addendum for B's

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”