University of Miami Personal Statement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:22 am

I am applying to U Miami for several of their programs. I am hoping to write this in my PS to them, and while they expect a PS the application doesn't put any length constraints on it that I can find. Does anyone know if there is a word/page requirement? I didn't see one, but thought I would double check first.

Thanks!! :)

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:41 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I am applying to U Miami for several of their programs. I am hoping to write this in my PS to them, and while they expect a PS the application doesn't put any length constraints on it that I can find. Does anyone know if there is a word/page requirement? I didn't see one, but thought I would double check first.

Thanks!! :)


I submitted there about a month ago but I don't remember anything specific. It would be on the application, if so. I would keep it within the typical 2-3 pages otherwise.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Keep
It
Short
Stupid.

2 pages maximum. The less you say, the better. Of course you dont want to sacrfice important personal information, but keep everything relevant. This is true of any personal statement.

Good luck!

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:54 pm

gdane5 wrote:Keep
It
Short
Stupid.

2 pages maximum. The less you say, the better. Of course you dont want to sacrfice important personal information, but keep everything relevant. This is true of any personal statement.

Good luck!


Unless the school puts a 2 page limit on the PS, I recommend actually using as much space as you need. I consider my writing to be strong, so I used a ton of space. I just looked up my Miami application, and my PS was 3 FULL pages and my DS was another 2. If you have a great length of substantial things to say, do it. I would never go over four pages for any application for one essay unless it was required, though.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Ultimately, you can use as much space as you want. If you have the numbers, its all good. If you dont have the numbers, then tell as good a story as you want. However, for UMiami you dont need great numbers. I got in with a 154 last year. :shock:

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:26 pm

gdane5 wrote:Ultimately, you can use as much space as you want. If you have the numbers, its all good. If you dont have the numbers, then tell as good a story as you want. However, for UMiami you dont need great numbers. I got in with a 154 last year. :shock:


154?? Not most people unless you have ab a 4.0 or get the URM boost...

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Barbie wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Ultimately, you can use as much space as you want. If you have the numbers, its all good. If you dont have the numbers, then tell as good a story as you want. However, for UMiami you dont need great numbers. I got in with a 154 last year. :shock:


154?? Not most people unless you have ab a 4.0 or get the URM boost...

UMiami is not very difficult to get into. Believe me. Im not the only one that got in with that LSAT. I have a buddy that scored a 155, but had a lower GPA, wasnt URM, and got in. Oh yea, Im hispanic URM. The jokes on me though because I didnt even want to go. I hate them and I want to leave Miami. It was a waste of an application fee...

User avatar
Fred_McGriff
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:34 pm

My personal statement for Miami quoted Scarface 3 or 4 times. Should be a good soft.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:35 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Barbie wrote:
gdane5 wrote:Ultimately, you can use as much space as you want. If you have the numbers, its all good. If you dont have the numbers, then tell as good a story as you want. However, for UMiami you dont need great numbers. I got in with a 154 last year. :shock:


154?? Not most people unless you have ab a 4.0 or get the URM boost...

UMiami is not very difficult to get into. Believe me. Im not the only one that got in with that LSAT. I have a buddy that scored a 155, but had a lower GPA, wasnt URM, and got in. Oh yea, Im hispanic URM. The jokes on me though because I didnt even want to go. I hate them and I want to leave Miami. It was a waste of an application fee...


fee waiver FTW. I know two people at Miami, both white guys with 160+ LSAT and decent GPAs from UF. I wouldn't go there unless it was cheaper than both UF and FSU bc of scholarship money, but I definitly think it was worth the $12. The two guys mentioned love it there.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby gdane » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Most people that go to UMiami law, like those that go to the UG, dont necessarily like the school, they just like the surrounding environment/atmosphere. In other words, they like the school because of its party atmosphere. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but the school itself is weak.

In any case, I agree with you on the cost thing. I have an LSAC fee waiver this year so I'll apply just for the hell of it. Im expecting a much better LSAT score so maybe I can get some merit aid. We'll see.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:17 pm

gdane5 wrote:Most people that go to UMiami law, like those that go to the UG, dont necessarily like the school, they just like the surrounding environment/atmosphere. In other words, they like the school because of its party atmosphere. Which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but the school itself is weak.

In any case, I agree with you on the cost thing. I have an LSAC fee waiver this year so I'll apply just for the hell of it. Im expecting a much better LSAT score so maybe I can get some merit aid. We'll see.

Im in a similar boat, but I actually consider Miami a contender if I get in. The location is nice, and being that money is definitely a factor for me, I would definitely consider going there if I get a nice scholarship.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:25 pm

is anyone really aware of what #s typically get decent $$? and by decent, I mean enough to be lower than the price of FSU and UF...

OmbreGracieuse
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 am

I am specifically interested because of their international moot court and the Naimbia project. If they continue the Namibia project, it is right up the alley of what I want to do. Ideally, I would love to work in the embassy for the Central African Republic or the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I've not heard of any other schools that have a study abroad program in Africa, which makes U Miami a fairly decent contender in my book.

Do you guys know of any schools offering other similar programs?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby gdane » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:04 pm

dont waste your time. UMiami is not the right school for what you want to do. its agreed upon that specialty programs and whatnot mean very little. most of the time those study abroad things are just another clever way to get money out of you.

User avatar
overyourhead
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:19 am

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby overyourhead » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:17 pm

I was told 164-165 gets you a nice chunk of money.

I'm applying to Miami this cycle. They're basically my #1 school because I want to stay in this area and I'm expecting $$ from them.

I came here with the same question re: PS. It doesn't mention it anywhere aside from in the 2009-2010 pre-law handbook intended for UM undergrads looking to go to LS in general. There it says to keep your PS to 2-3 pgs. My PS is about a personal tragedy, the details of which make it difficult to keep it short, so I'm trying to get mine down to 3 full pgs. :(

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 pm

overyourhead wrote:I was told 164-165 gets you a nice chunk of money.

I'm applying to Miami this cycle. They're basically my #1 school because I want to stay in this area and I'm expecting $$ from them.

I came here with the same question re: PS. It doesn't mention it anywhere aside from in the 2009-2010 pre-law handbook intended for UM undergrads looking to go to LS in general. There it says to keep your PS to 2-3 pgs. My PS is about a personal tragedy, the details of which make it difficult to keep it short, so I'm trying to get mine down to 3 full pgs. :(


I wouldn't worry. Like I said, my PS was a tad over 3 pages with another 2 page DS.

Does Miami give a status checker? I haven't gotten anything from them.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Barbie wrote:
overyourhead wrote:I was told 164-165 gets you a nice chunk of money.

I'm applying to Miami this cycle. They're basically my #1 school because I want to stay in this area and I'm expecting $$ from them.

I came here with the same question re: PS. It doesn't mention it anywhere aside from in the 2009-2010 pre-law handbook intended for UM undergrads looking to go to LS in general. There it says to keep your PS to 2-3 pgs. My PS is about a personal tragedy, the details of which make it difficult to keep it short, so I'm trying to get mine down to 3 full pgs. :(


I wouldn't worry. Like I said, my PS was a tad over 3 pages with another 2 page DS.

Does Miami give a status checker? I haven't gotten anything from them.

They give you an student ID number (I believe its called a CaneID) that you use. When did you send your app in? I sent mine in on the 5th and got mine on the 8th.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:07 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Barbie wrote:
overyourhead wrote:I was told 164-165 gets you a nice chunk of money.

I'm applying to Miami this cycle. They're basically my #1 school because I want to stay in this area and I'm expecting $$ from them.

I came here with the same question re: PS. It doesn't mention it anywhere aside from in the 2009-2010 pre-law handbook intended for UM undergrads looking to go to LS in general. There it says to keep your PS to 2-3 pgs. My PS is about a personal tragedy, the details of which make it difficult to keep it short, so I'm trying to get mine down to 3 full pgs. :(


I wouldn't worry. Like I said, my PS was a tad over 3 pages with another 2 page DS.

Does Miami give a status checker? I haven't gotten anything from them.

They give you an student ID number (I believe its called a CaneID) that you use. When did you send your app in? I sent mine in on the 5th and got mine on the 8th.


I sent mine in mid September lol. **off to check spam mailbox**

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Okay I'm signed in. Does this site tell me my application status?? If so, where? I'm horrible with this stuff haha.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:30 pm

Barbie wrote:Okay I'm signed in. Does this site tell me my application status?? If so, where? I'm horrible with this stuff haha.

Honestly, I have no clue. I just signed in and logged off. I know my app is incomplete pending my LSAT score, so I didnt bother to check, lol

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby 2011Cycle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Barbie wrote:Okay I'm signed in. Does this site tell me my application status?? If so, where? I'm horrible with this stuff haha.


I called the admission's office and asked about where on the MyUM site Law School related messages would be posted and was told along the upper left side where personal messages are noted. In the same conversation the representative stated I should not expect top see anything until they begin reviewing applications in November.
Last edited by 2011Cycle on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:42 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
Barbie wrote:Okay I'm signed in. Does this site tell me my application status?? If so, where? I'm horrible with this stuff haha.


I called the admissions and asked about where on the MyUM site Law School related messages would be posted and was told along the upper left side where personal messages are noted. In the same conversation the representative stated I should not expect top see anything until they begin reviewing applications in November.


Yeah according to my chart they start accepting people in early November. Oh well :)

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12384
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby gdane » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:25 am

you'll know if youve been accepted as soon as you log in. there will be a huge "congratulations" notice on the main page. regarding money: 161 and above will get you money. however, UMiami doesnt award much and they "run out" of aid very quickly.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby Barbie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:32 pm


bigred87
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:25 am

Re: University of Miami Personal Statement

Postby bigred87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:20 pm

current UM student. I would urge those who have offers at better schools to stay away. Yes, UM is a very wealthy school and they have tons of $$ to give away...but even if you get top scholarship, you're paying $20-30k at least. Let me know if you want to know the many other reasons why you should stay away (although UM does have a lot of good qualities...just depends on what you're looking for and what's important to you).




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lawnerd87, TripTrip, urbanist11 and 10 guests