Diversity-Personal Statement Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
polinerdemory

New

Diversity-Personal Statement

Post by polinerdemory » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:39 pm

A lot of schools I'm applying to ask for a diversity statement, but overcoming an obstacle regarding diversity is mainly what my personal statement is about. Is it in my best interest to write an optional diversity statement or am I beating a dead horse? Thanks

gdane

Diamond

Re: Diversity-Personal Statement

Post by gdane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:43 pm

To put it more eloquently, youd definitely be repeating yourself by writing two essays that deal with, essentially, the same topic. Is there any way you can think of something else to write about in your personal statement? Maybe touch upon your obstacle in it, but go into full detail in your diversity statement?

Good luck!

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm

Is there a way you can split it into two topics?

For example, my original PS was LONG and covered my issues with being a married mother underneath the poverty limit... so, essentially, I seperated it into a PS and a DS. The PS covered being a mother and how that impacted my school (my grades didnt go down, so it mostly covered my switch in views), and my DS covered my struggle to be the mom I want to be, and wife I want to be, while being so far underneath the poverty limit. Overall, I think it went well.

I don't know if it is possible for you to do something similar, but if it is... that might work well. I was able to create two and they interweave like a quilt (or so I think, for lack of better word).

Good luck!! :)

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 pm

polinerdemory wrote:A lot of schools I'm applying to ask for a diversity statement, but overcoming an obstacle regarding diversity is mainly what my personal statement is about. Is it in my best interest to write an optional diversity statement or am I beating a dead horse? Thanks
there's nothing wrong with being concise... just use this PS and don't worry about the DS. They aren't going to ignore your diversity b/c you included it in a PS. You'll be fine

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”