My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I apply in the winter or wait till next fall?

You STILL have a chance by applying in winter.
4
40%
Your BEST chance is applying early in the fall.
6
60%
 
Total votes: 10

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Dukehopeful2 wrote:Also aspergers is a neurological disorder but one just like dyslexia that you cannot see in a CT scan or postmortem brain slices

It is like dyslexia in that sense, but that does not make it "just like dyslexia".

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Dukehopeful2 wrote:Also aspergers is a neurological disorder but one just like dyslexia that you cannot see in a CT scan or postmortem brain slices

It is like dyslexia in that sense, but that does not make it "just like dyslexia".

no one said it was in any other sense..

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:41 pm

You have no idea what you're talking about.
dyslexia is a learning disability, asperger's is not.
I'm glad you have information about dyslexia. I'm glad that helped you. How utterly unhelpful that brain imagery information is. I'm not saying that dyslexia is not worthy of a statement about a serious challenge overcome, and I'm not trying to make aspersions about those who suffer from it.
It simply does not help OP though, and your inability to accept that your knowledge isn't sufficient for any single situation is arrogant and ignorant.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm

capitalacq wrote:no one said it was in any other sense..

Well, he was saying not to mention it because he was told not to mention dyslexia, which kind of equivocates the two.

(I don't think mentioning dyslexia would be bad regardless, to a law school, as long as you could highlight how you'd managed to compensate for the problems it introduces and it won't hold you back as a lawyer.)

User avatar
s0ph1e2007
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
capitalacq wrote:no one said it was in any other sense..

Well, he was saying not to mention it because he was told not to mention dyslexia, which kind of equivocates the two.


Yes.

Dukehopeful2
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby Dukehopeful2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:46 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:You have no idea what you're talking about.
dyslexia is a learning disability, asperger's is not.
I'm glad you have information about dyslexia. I'm glad that helped you. How utterly unhelpful that brain imagery information is. I'm not saying that dyslexia is not worthy of a statement about a serious challenge overcome, and I'm not trying to make aspersions about those who suffer from it.
It simply does not help OP though, and your inability to accept that your knowledge isn't sufficient for any single situation is arrogant and ignorant.


Your right I am such a pompous ass Neurobiology major who knows nothing of the brain but your still a cock juggling thunder cunt.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Dukehopeful2 wrote:Your right I am such a pompous ass Neurobiology major who knows nothing of the brain but your still a cock juggling thunder cunt.

Image

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby swilson215 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:52 pm

I feel like the thread got a little highjacked.

My opinion is that it's ALWAYS best to apply earlier in the cycle, whether you have amazing scores or not-so-amazing scores -- regardless of any disability or condition you may have. There are more spots available, there's more money available, etc. earlier in the cycle.

However, there are schools that reserve spots for people applying later in the cycle, so applying in the early winter (January) might not be that bad.

Having said that, I would reevaluate some of the schools on your list, or at least add several "safeties" and a few more from the T25/high T50, rather than T14.

Just my 2 cents.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:48 pm

swilson215 wrote:I feel like the thread got a little highjacked.

My opinion is that it's ALWAYS best to apply earlier in the cycle, whether you have amazing scores or not-so-amazing scores -- regardless of any disability or condition you may have. There are more spots available, there's more money available, etc. earlier in the cycle.

However, there are schools that reserve spots for people applying later in the cycle, so applying in the early winter (January) might not be that bad.

Having said that, I would reevaluate some of the schools on your list, or at least add several "safeties" and a few more from the T25/high T50, rather than T14.

Just my 2 cents.


OP has no choice but to apply late after the December LSAT or to wait out a year which sucks as an older applicant. I don't get the point of this thread. Once he has a score he can see if that score will qualify him for any of the schools on the list.

OP: just so you are aware of what you need you should go on LSN and find applicants with a ~3.4 GPA (which is where I assume your LSDAS GPA is) who were accepted to schools on your list. Look at the range of LSATs and then do a search for the same group of schools looking at all applicants (WL, Deny and Accept) for the reasonable range of LSATs you might be able to get. You will see that it is very very tough to get into the schools you are looking at with a GPA in your range.

Also, make sure to exclude URMs unless you are one (I assume you are not).

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:57 pm

OP: you need to wait and apply as early in the cycle as possible.

Also, for the enjoyment of all, and in light of vanwinkle's ban jpg:
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:24 pm

#1 What is your LSAC GPA? It's too low I think for YHS, but that shouldn't prohibit you from applying, just don't put your hopes there. It could also potentially sink you at Columbia, UChicago, etc. You're going to be a splitter at that list, so you'll need to A) Really nail the LSAT, don't take it unprepared, and B) Apply more broadly.

#2 Splitters don't do well late in cycles. They do better earlier on. If I were you, I'd apply next cycle, though I understand if you don't want to wait a year.

#3 Make sure your safeties are in regions you want to practice. As you leave the upper T14, and esp. the T20, schools lose much geographic reach---so, for example, University of Washington is *excellent* if you want to practice in the Pacific Northwest, but not the best choice if you really want to practice in NYC.

#4 I have no idea whether aspberger's is something to address. Unless you can attribute your lower GPA to that convincingly, I personally wouldn't, but that's just my unprofessional and inexpert opinion.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests