My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I apply in the winter or wait till next fall?

You STILL have a chance by applying in winter.
40%
Your BEST chance is applying early in the fall.
60%

Total votes: 10

uofmstanfordharvard

My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby uofmstanfordharvard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Redacted.
Last edited by uofmstanfordharvard on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Re: My Situation and Background (29 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby MrKappus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:58 pm

No one can answer your question until you have an LSAT score. HTH.

uofmstanfordharvard

Postby uofmstanfordharvard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm

My best estimate, coming from my practice tests, would be somewhere in the low to mid 170's.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm

You need to disclose your list of schools, so people can give you suggestions. Some schools do not follow a strict rolling admission, so you may still have chance for this cycle.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Yes. Wow, is this my first chance to direct someone to the most addicting websites ever (other than TLS, of course)???

lawschoolnumbers.com
lawschoolpredictor.com

There are others, start there.

LSAT 171+, welcome to Northwestern/UVA. Otherwise it'll be tough.
Northwestern due to Work experience plus over LSAT median; UVA due to over LSAT median.
LSAT<170/171 and you'll have a real uphill battle, from what I understand, to break the top ten.

[Edit add] Due to GPA being below median and in all cases, I believe, below 25th. You'll be a splitter. Good luck, not impossible.

op-ti

Postby op-ti » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:03 pm

I think you should wait until next cycle. Do the LSAT in June and then have your apps. sent out as early as possible to give your apps. a bump.

I certainly think you have a great shot at a top school as long as you can prepare a great application package and do well on the LSAT.

Good luck!

uofmstanfordharvard

Postby uofmstanfordharvard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Here is the list:

Columbia
Georgetown
Harvard
Stanford
University of Michigan
Yale

Plus, some safety schools (William and Mary; state public schools...)

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 pm

That really will depend on your LSAT score. Your GPA is low for T10 schools so you have a lot to overcome. Your softs are respectable (though not earth-shattering) and will likely give you only a modest boost.

Clearly, applying early is best, but if you get a good score you won't have put yourself at too serious a disadvantage by waiting for the December test.

Short answer: Your chances for T10 or even T25 are going to be almost entirely decided by the score you get on the LSAT because your GPA is going to be on the low end for all of these schools.

EDIT: If you get your low 170s LSAT score, you should probably apply in December and see what schools you get into. If you're not happy, wait and apply next year. This isn't a decision that can be made prior to getting a score so you'd be smart to wait and revisit your options when you have all of the pertinent information.

EDIT2: With that GPA, you're not getting into HYS. I understand the need to apply to mitigate the "what if?" questions later, but don't put all your eggs in the T10 basket with your GPA.

Good luck.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:06 pm

To modify my earlier response and agree with posters, next year would be better. This year is not impossible. Prepare your applications and apply anywhere where your LSAT is at 75th or better. Otherwise, better luck next year.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:07 pm

uofmstanfordharvard wrote:Here is the list:

Columbia
Georgetown
Harvard
Stanford
University of Michigan
Yale

I am just commenting on app time line wise, others will give you suggestions with your chances at those schools.

I think Yale and Harvard do not have a strict rolling admission policy. Also is William and Mary (their policy is modified a bit).

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:10 pm

If I may ask, why law? It sounds like Public Policy is more your thing, and your connections/experiences would probably help you out more with admissions in that area than they will in law school. Not attackin', just curious. I get that law connects to it, but more than one way to skin the cat.

uofmstanfordharvard

Postby uofmstanfordharvard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:13 pm

After doing some thinking, I really want to be an IP attorney-doing work with arts and entertainment. Plus, after doing public policy work, I really come to love research.

west

Postby west » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Obviously I don't know the details of your situation, but from what I've read it is unlikely that LSAC will give you extra time. See here if you haven't already.

No harm in trying, of course. But be prepared for the possibility of LSAC denying you accommodations.

uofmstanfordharvard

Postby uofmstanfordharvard » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks, West.

west

Re: My Situation and Background (Late 20 Year Old w/Asperger's)

Postby west » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:34 pm

No problem. Good luck!

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Columbia
Georgetown
Harvard
Stanford
University of Michigan
Yale

these schools are pretty unrealistic reaches. T10 chances are slim-to-none. reevaluate things.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:55 pm

uofmstanfordharvard wrote:My best estimate, coming from my practice tests, would be somewhere in the low to mid 170's.

you have a chance at all of those schools excluding Stanford who loves a high GPA. you have a really interesting application and as long as you work really really hard on your personal statement (and diversity statement- how having aspergers has affected your view on life--> how it would affect the perspective you bring to law school in question) you have a shot at T-14.
If I were you I would write a PS and DS, have them edited by a lot of different people, and apply ED to Michigan.

Good luck!

Edit: this is ASSUMING that you get a 173+ like you suggested and ASAP

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:02 pm

Columbia
Georgetown
Harvard
Stanford
University of Michigan
Yale

You need in the 170s to have a realistic shot at any of these schools. Normally I would say that even with a high-170s LSAT you'd be out at HYS, but I think in your case it's at least worth a shot because of your rather extensive background and unique experiences.

But all that matters is that LSAT score. And, quite possibly, applying early. You might have to wait until next year to get into the best possible schools, even with a high LSAT, due to most schools (basically everyone but Yale) doing rolling admissions.

Good luck with everything.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:10 pm

edit
Last edited by s0ph1e2007 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dukehopeful2

Postby Dukehopeful2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I would not mention your disability. I don't know about law school but I was told as a premed to not mention my dyslexia because it would hold me back and put up red flags to adcoms by getting accommodations on the MCAT and severely hinder my chances of getting into any surgical res if accommodations were used on USMILE

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:26 pm

:roll: :roll:

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Dukehopeful2 wrote:I would not mention your disability. I don't know about law school but I was told as a premed to not mention my dyslexia because it would hold me back and put up red flags to adcoms by getting accommodations on the MCAT and severely hinder my chances of getting into any surgical res if accommodations were used on USMILE

This is WRONG.
Dyslexia and Aspergers are not the same.
Many do not believe Aspergers is a disorder at all, just a different perspective on the world. In many ways this is very true.

OP do not take this advice. Write an asperger's diversity statement.

Don't give advice on something you don't know anything about. I know it may seem fun to put in your two cents but what if you were really hurting someone's chance at a good law school?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:29 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Don't give advice on something you don't know anything about. I know it may seem fun to put in your two cents but what if you were really hurting someone's chance at a good law school?

s0ph1e2007 wrote:you have a chance at all of those schools excluding Stanford who loves a high GPA. you have a really interesting application and as long as you work really really hard on your personal statement

Dukehopeful2

Postby Dukehopeful2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:31 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
Dukehopeful2 wrote:This is WRONG.
Dyslexia and Aspergers are not the same.
Many do not believe Aspergers is a disorder at all, just a different perspective on the world. In many ways this is very true.

OP do not take this advice. Write an asperger's diversity statement.

Don't give advice on something you don't know anything about. I know it may seem fun to put in your two cents but what if you were really hurting someone's chance at a good law school?

Excuse me who the hell are you, I do know that is true for med school apps I do not know if it is true for law school as I said!!! I was told this by multiple physicians I shadowed in an array of specialties.

Dukehopeful2

Postby Dukehopeful2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Also aspergers is a neurological disorder but one just like dyslexia that you cannot see in a CT scan or postmortem brain slices

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”